New PC Bragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC Bragging

I feel the need to show off my new computer.

Specs:
    Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.54 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($270.29 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $973.62
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-03-04 16:10 EST-0500)

Some pics!

Oh, and I'm quite aware of the terrible cabling job along the back of the desk. I'm waiting for my cable raceways to come in before I tidy that up.

Sweet! That 212 has really come down in price!
    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc View Post
      Sweet! That 212 has really come down in price!
      At <$30, I couldn't resist picking one up. I just didn't quite realize exactly how large it was until I took it out of the box. I'll probably order another 120mm fan for the 212+ and another 2 for the top of the case. My temps are a little higher than I'd expect, but still very good.

Comment

Very nice Karl, I like that case too.
        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Very Nice! I almost went with the same mobo, case, and ram. I just had really bad luck with ASUS and I know that ASUS and ASRock are the same company so I avoid them at all cost. Looking at your rig makes me wish I had just the extra money to get the 400r. I was worried about clearance with that 212+ and the Ripjaw heatsinks, doesn't seem like it was a problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentScope864 View Post
            Very Nice! I almost went with the same mobo, case, and ram. I just had really bad luck with ASUS and I know that ASUS and ASRock are the same company so I avoid them at all cost. Looking at your rig makes me wish I had just the extra money to get the 400r. I was worried about clearance with that 212+ and the Ripjaw heatsinks, doesn't seem like it was a problem though.

I had an ASRock board in the past (Socket 939 with an AM2 upgrade slot and AGP and PCI-E, talk about odd.) that didn't give me any problems. The price was right and r/BuildAPC on Reddit is in love with this board.

I'm very pleased with the case. The wire management capabilities are really, really good. Of my 4 cases in the last 8 years, this is by far the nicest one I've used. (RaidMax Scorpio, Thermaltake Shark, Antec 900, and now the 400R) It's definitely worth the money.

I think I'd have to move the fan to the other side if I wanted to go up to 4 sticks. My first slot is kind of covered. I might be able to get ram into it, but haven't really looked.

Comment

i dont know if it would solve the clearance issue or not but you could buy some slimmer fans. Skythe makes 120mm fans that are a slim model that i picked up at microcenter for my exhaust at the top of my case. they are half the width of a regular fan i believe. I had to buy them so I had clearance for my ram.

Comment

Nice rig! I used that same MB for Minis upgrade Xmass present and its a great board.
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Very nice Karl.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by omfg karl marx View Post
                      I had an ASRock board in the past (Socket 939 with an AM2 upgrade slot and AGP and PCI-E, talk about odd.) that didn't give me any problems.
                      I still own one of those. Its still running very well to this day. Its semi-retired, but serves as a backup workbench rig. I still say its the best mobo I ever bought, simply because of its numerous upgrade options. What other board offers:

1) A CPU socket upgrade path
                      2) A DDR to DDR2 upgrade path
                      3) AGP to PCIe upgrade path
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

NIce setup. I like the oldskool keyboard.
                        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                          NIce setup. I like the oldskool keyboard.
                          Heh, that looks like a classic Northgate clickety-clack keyboard, or an IBM classic. We had hundreds of them at work when I started here 14 years ago. Sadly, they have all gone to the great dumpster in the sky (even tho they ALL still worked).
                          Freakin' bulletproof, and they provide a tactile feel that you do not get on a modern keyboard. In a pinch, they function as a capable weapon to fend off zombies in the coming apocalypse
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Indeed. That is an old IBM model m from 1991. Rock solid keyboard. I just tend to annoy anyone that happens to be in the same room. Clicky clack.

Comment

IBM just makes things that work plain and simple.

I had an old IBM 486 Blue Lightning MB back in the day. Man that thing would render Autocad 13 in short order. I cant remember the socket on it but I think the chip was about a 66MHz. . It was faster than the Pentiums at the time.
                              [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X