New PC Bragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC Bragging

I feel the need to show off my new computer.

Specs:
    Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.54 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($270.29 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $973.62
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-03-04 16:10 EST-0500)

Some pics!

Oh, and I'm quite aware of the terrible cabling job along the back of the desk. I'm waiting for my cable raceways to come in before I tidy that up.

Sweet! That 212 has really come down in price!
    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc View Post
      Sweet! That 212 has really come down in price!
      At <$30, I couldn't resist picking one up. I just didn't quite realize exactly how large it was until I took it out of the box. I'll probably order another 120mm fan for the 212+ and another 2 for the top of the case. My temps are a little higher than I'd expect, but still very good.

Comment

Very nice Karl, I like that case too.
        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Very Nice! I almost went with the same mobo, case, and ram. I just had really bad luck with ASUS and I know that ASUS and ASRock are the same company so I avoid them at all cost. Looking at your rig makes me wish I had just the extra money to get the 400r. I was worried about clearance with that 212+ and the Ripjaw heatsinks, doesn't seem like it was a problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentScope864 View Post
            Very Nice! I almost went with the same mobo, case, and ram. I just had really bad luck with ASUS and I know that ASUS and ASRock are the same company so I avoid them at all cost. Looking at your rig makes me wish I had just the extra money to get the 400r. I was worried about clearance with that 212+ and the Ripjaw heatsinks, doesn't seem like it was a problem though.

I had an ASRock board in the past (Socket 939 with an AM2 upgrade slot and AGP and PCI-E, talk about odd.) that didn't give me any problems. The price was right and r/BuildAPC on Reddit is in love with this board.

I'm very pleased with the case. The wire management capabilities are really, really good. Of my 4 cases in the last 8 years, this is by far the nicest one I've used. (RaidMax Scorpio, Thermaltake Shark, Antec 900, and now the 400R) It's definitely worth the money.

I think I'd have to move the fan to the other side if I wanted to go up to 4 sticks. My first slot is kind of covered. I might be able to get ram into it, but haven't really looked.

Comment

i dont know if it would solve the clearance issue or not but you could buy some slimmer fans. Skythe makes 120mm fans that are a slim model that i picked up at microcenter for my exhaust at the top of my case. they are half the width of a regular fan i believe. I had to buy them so I had clearance for my ram.

Comment

Nice rig! I used that same MB for Minis upgrade Xmass present and its a great board.
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Very nice Karl.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by omfg karl marx View Post
                      I had an ASRock board in the past (Socket 939 with an AM2 upgrade slot and AGP and PCI-E, talk about odd.) that didn't give me any problems.
                      I still own one of those. Its still running very well to this day. Its semi-retired, but serves as a backup workbench rig. I still say its the best mobo I ever bought, simply because of its numerous upgrade options. What other board offers:

1) A CPU socket upgrade path
                      2) A DDR to DDR2 upgrade path
                      3) AGP to PCIe upgrade path
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

NIce setup. I like the oldskool keyboard.
                        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                          NIce setup. I like the oldskool keyboard.
                          Heh, that looks like a classic Northgate clickety-clack keyboard, or an IBM classic. We had hundreds of them at work when I started here 14 years ago. Sadly, they have all gone to the great dumpster in the sky (even tho they ALL still worked).
                          Freakin' bulletproof, and they provide a tactile feel that you do not get on a modern keyboard. In a pinch, they function as a capable weapon to fend off zombies in the coming apocalypse
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Indeed. That is an old IBM model m from 1991. Rock solid keyboard. I just tend to annoy anyone that happens to be in the same room. Clicky clack.

Comment

IBM just makes things that work plain and simple.

I had an old IBM 486 Blue Lightning MB back in the day. Man that thing would render Autocad 13 in short order. I cant remember the socket on it but I think the chip was about a 66MHz. . It was faster than the Pentiums at the time.
                              [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X