PC Fan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Fan question

I know how to assemble a computer and get it started. I'm pretty good at getting software working and maintaining that. Admittedly though, I'm NOT good at diagnosing computer hardware issues.
    I tried to figure this out through Google, but I can't quite figure out the right question.

My problem is that while my computer runs the fans are relatively quiet, but when the graphics start to put a drain on the computer I can hear a fan kick in and it's starting to sound bad. I was thinking it's the fan on the GTX460 I'm using, but I don't know for sure. I just cranked up the fan speed using EVGA Precision and it sounds fine. I think that's the only fan that changes RPMs during operation, though maybe my CPU cooler does as well. Is there a way I can test the fans in my COOLER MASTER V6 GT?

Try running a cpu benchmark or burn test, if the fan is temp controlled it will speed up.

Intel BurnTest has always worked for me in the past.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Comment

What motherboard do you have? Your motherboard may have a software utility that will allow you to change the fan speeds for anything hooked to it.

I'm able to that with my nVidia board through a utility that nVidia made for my motherboard.
        Nauticas

Comment

It's an Intel board. I think I'm just going to order a spare fan for each fan size I have an figure it out that way. I'll find the problem and have spares for the next one.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X