PC Fan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Fan question

I know how to assemble a computer and get it started. I'm pretty good at getting software working and maintaining that. Admittedly though, I'm NOT good at diagnosing computer hardware issues.
    I tried to figure this out through Google, but I can't quite figure out the right question.

My problem is that while my computer runs the fans are relatively quiet, but when the graphics start to put a drain on the computer I can hear a fan kick in and it's starting to sound bad. I was thinking it's the fan on the GTX460 I'm using, but I don't know for sure. I just cranked up the fan speed using EVGA Precision and it sounds fine. I think that's the only fan that changes RPMs during operation, though maybe my CPU cooler does as well. Is there a way I can test the fans in my COOLER MASTER V6 GT?

Try running a cpu benchmark or burn test, if the fan is temp controlled it will speed up.

Intel BurnTest has always worked for me in the past.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Comment

What motherboard do you have? Your motherboard may have a software utility that will allow you to change the fan speeds for anything hooked to it.

I'm able to that with my nVidia board through a utility that nVidia made for my motherboard.
        Nauticas

Comment

It's an Intel board. I think I'm just going to order a spare fan for each fan size I have an figure it out that way. I'll find the problem and have spares for the next one.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X