Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help my father get a computer

My dads screen on his laptop just died.
    He is looking for a desktop and wants to know power specs to look at.
    He needs if for Word, Excel, Power point and does pictures of grandkids ect.
    Only other thing he is worried about is backing up the system

I am thinking 4 gb ram that can be upgrade to 8gb.
    Here is the questions.
    Should he go for a dual core or would the quad be that much better for him?

How much space and should it be a Raid system for his memory or what other system should he use?

Thanks for your input.
    He will be looking at buying at microcenter since it is close by. If you can pull something from the website that fits that would be better.

FOr that type system you'd probably be better off just buying a complete system. If you find a sale you might find something around $300. I would just look for the cheapest thing you can find; anything on the market today will do what he needs.

Example:
    CQ2701 Desktop Computer

EDIT: Over the last few years I have gotten cheap Compaqs for my dad and my mother-in-law and both work great for what they do. There's no way you can game on them, but they are fine for regular stuff most people do.
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Sorry I meant I wanted a complete system(he won't do any gaming, but he will do alot of pictures). Nothing special built.
      He might do some graphic work and uses the computer around 5 hrs a day for different speechs/classes/work.

Just not sure if dual or quad core to recommand to him.

What about storage? He really wants to have a backup system.

Comment

For backup, get him an external HDD and use Windows Backup. It is easy to use.

Is he going to be doing any video transcoding or anything like that?
        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

External Storage

A few months ago, I recommended this for my sister:
          Seagate - FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB External USB 2.0/3.0 Hard Drive - Black
          - these are sometimes on sale
          - at Amazon today, the 3TB is only $30 more than the 2TB

The new PC should have USB 3 (nice if interacting with the external drive)

Encourage him to publish his best pictures to Google web albums or some other photo sharing site. Besides sharing, this gives him an extra backup for the most valuable photos.

He's right to worry. Hard drives die, sometimes right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
            External Storage

A few months ago, I recommended this for my sister:
            Seagate - FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB External USB 2.0/3.0 Hard Drive - Black
            - these are sometimes on sale
            - at Amazon today, the 3TB is only $30 more than the 2TB

The new PC should have USB 3 (nice if interacting with the external drive)

Encourage him to publish his best pictures to Google web albums or some other photo sharing site. Besides sharing, this gives him an extra backup for the most valuable photos.

He's right to worry. Hard drives die, sometimes right away.
            True true. Thats why I started using Carbonite...

Comment

he has way to many pictures for google. We are talking about 400 gb most likely

Comment

IF all he is going to do is Word, Exel and Pictures...power is not a big concern. Get a simple HP, Gateway or Dell with a TB hard drive and a nice 23" monitor. TA-DA! You should come in around $400.
                Check with Fry's, Best Buy, or anonline store like New Egg. A cheap back-up is using an external USB Drive. I have hundreds of high res pics but they really don't take up much space.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Storage again -

After he has one external drive to guard against drive failure, he can decide if he wants to guard against an unlikely house problem (water damage, electrical surge, fire, etc.) by backing up to a 2nd drive once per month and handing it to you for safe storage.

By the way, Google charges about $100/yr for 400 GB. An off-site, external hard drive "sneaker backup" is much cheaper per GB.

Comment

One of my backups is a 2TB USB3 hard drive. It is fast and works great.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post

By the way, Google charges about $100/yr for 400 GB. An off-site, external hard drive "sneaker backup" is much cheaper per GB.
                      Carbonite is much cheaper. It is $59/yr unlimited storage. It also adds a little dot in the corner of the icons for files to let you know if it has been backed up. My only complaint is that the upload speed is really slow.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                        by Apache Warrior
                        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                      • Reply to 6 years
                        by Sirex
                        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                        Just hit 2.5K miles...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                        by Sirex
                        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                        by Sirex
                        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                        by Sirex
                        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                      Working...
                      X