Used games fiasco - the cost of bulls$@t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used games fiasco - the cost of bulls$@t

Of course the used game market has exploded. Why wouldn't it? Gaming companies, in many cases, have established an adversarial relationship with their customers. Publishers haven't given customers a good reason to care, so they don't.

I'd love to see what the railroads were saying as other forms of transportation ate into their business and they began losing money. I'm pretty sure the rallying cry was "FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME!"

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...-bullshit.html
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

There's a lot this article touched on, and it mentions another article “Video games can't afford to cost this much”:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...deo-expensive/

There is a lot going on with the video game industry, and much has changed over the last 30 years. Attacking the used game market is one of the last things they have to do IMHO. What I mean by that is they want total control over the entire market.

From what I have seen, the big game companies want the following:

-Big quick hit from launch
    -The game to have only a six month life span before the next pay for content release
    -Cookie cutter reskinned sequel to be released a year later.
    -Wash rinse repeat

In their eyes, taking used games out of the equation will lead to bigger $$$ at new game launches.

Game companies are like Hollywood when it comes to the blame game. It's piracy, it's this, it's that. God forbid you blame it on game design or a rehashed concept. I'm always looking at indie games. Usually just when I get excited about something, they make the announcement they are partnering with EA. Then all hope goes out the window.
    Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
    Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
      by Apache Warrior
      6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
    • Reply to 6 years
      by Sirex
      I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
      Just hit 2.5K miles...
      5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
    • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
      by Sirex
      Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
      5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
    • Reply to Hell Let Loose
      by Sirex
      Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
      5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
    • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
      by Sirex
      Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
      5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
    Working...
    X