Craigs list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigs list?

I have to sell a brand new fridge that didn't fit in my kitchen. I was told this is an excellent way to go. I have always thought it was a place for hookers and the serial killers that prey on them but it would seem that there are some other purposes. Does anyone here have any selling advice or tips?
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

I have sold a few things I prefer eBay but craigslist works. The biggest problem you will likely run into is people asking if a trade is ok (items for it instead of $$$) and people backing out. Other than that its not too bad

Comment

1. Always meet up in some place public, never at your house or theirs.
      2. Bring at least 2 other people with you to the meet.
      3. Make sure you tell them you are not backing down on the price. It's final.
      4. Wear revealing clothes (Optional).
      5. Hope it isn't a rapist or a killer. Who else browses Cragislist? It's a terrible place. Have you tried a pawn shop? Why not return it to the place you bought it from? Just a restocking fee.

And next time measure the area before buying a fridge, do I have to teach you everything, Duke?

Comment

Myself, friends, and family have bought a few things on Craig's List, and sold them as well. The only problem we ever had was when my mom tried to sell my brother's old trumpet and someone was trying to run a scam on her through email, she just stopped responding to them. Other than that I've had great experiences the times anyone has used it.
        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
        [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I hate selling my stuff in general. However I do like to buy stuff and have bought couple thing on CL

My advice to you in your case

Set the price and stay firm. Make it clear in your post the price is firm and non- negotiable, no matter how ridiculous high or fair you have set the price. Just pick a number and that’s it don’t negotiate. That way when they contact you and go see it they already know the price is non-negotiable.

Really that’s it. my experience with craigslist is if you’re selling you get nothing but low ballers . If you’re buying you get nothing but sellers setting high prices on their junk/disposables. YOU know ‘the name of the game’ who gets the better deal.

Problems with negotiation on craiglist is

1)Time. You're waiting for another offer from someone else. The problem is you don’t know when or if you get another offer. which In your case I think this is going to be a key problem.*
          2) that's not the only posting hes looking at
          3)Or for the guy to make a counter offer. Which you know will be lower.

make the fridge easily accessible so they can come in, look at it, Pay you, and fly out the door.

Things you want to mention on your post is to bring helpers AND to bring something to move the fridge. Common sense right? Trust me there a lot of people that don’t use it.

Comment

Post pictures and size would help the potential buyers too.

Comment

Originally posted by sopek View Post

2) that's not the only posting hes looking at
              3)Or for the guy to make a counter offer. Which you know will be lower.
              sounds like what I go through on a daily basis for used cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
                Post pictures and size would help the potential buyers too.
                +1 have all pictures in and out. If its a new fridge(or old ) have a link to the unit from the company website. This will show also specs you might now have that they want. Picture of the serial numbers as well.
                Make sure you show books for fridge.
                Make sure you have a contract signed that it is non refundable. Basic thing with a witness on both sides.

CASH CASH CASH. If the person won't can't do cash. You don't give the fridge over until the check has cleared to your account.

If you know some one who moves things you can at least offer a number to contact the person. Don't be the go between, limit your liability.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                  ... until the check has cleared to your account.
                  And...
                  If cash isn't possible, I'd probably walk away (they should be willing to cash their own check).

I don't ship until 10 days after a check is deposited. It can take that long to clear through the full banking system. If it bounces at any point in that process, the bank has zero liability.

My preferred alternative for non-cash payments is to route though PayPal. It's very good.

It's okay to write "non-refundable" more than once on the contract. This seriously reduces the value of the item, but it protects you. Your original receipt should ensure that the manufacturer's warranty is still usable by the buyer. As a buyer, I'd want to see it working perfectly, but not everybody is that careful.

Some of the low ball shoppers aren't buying for their own use. They just know where they can turn it around quickly after the purchase.

Comment

you can also just write in AS IS instead of non refundable.
                    Having it running while they are there and cold would be good as well. this way if they damage in transit it is know in a working condition.
                    Seperate line in contract.

Comment

Not helpful, but this is a wonderful craigslist ad..

Comment

Oh God, that had me rolling!

Comment

Oh man he had to throw down the NAMBLA card.
                          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

lol ... that is freaking bad

Comment

@harpy lol

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X