2 Video Cards Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Video Cards Question

Hey guys, lately I've been thinking about hooking up my ATI card and my Nvidia card in my computer case.

I don't want to run them at the same time and I know that I can't anyway with the configuration.

What I am wondering is if I can just hook them up inside and use software to switch between the two. For example, when I'm playing BF3, I'll run the Nvidia card and when I want to use 3 screens with a game that doesn't require alot of GPU power, I'll switch to the ATI card and adjust my plugs accordingly.

My question is if this situation would work properly or not. Another thing I need to think about is if it's going to overload my PSU if I do this. I'm not sure if they stay on even when I'm not using them or if they both would draw power. If they both draw power from the PSU, I definitely need to know.

Thanks for any help and advice that you guys give me.

What the hell have you been smoking?
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

What do you mean Duke? I figure as long as both of them aren't running at the same time, it should be fine. I would try it just to see anyway, but I'm worried I might fry something by plugging them both to the PSU.

The reason I want to do this is to save on money so I don't have to buy another GTX 560 to run 3 monitors.

Comment

I'm just messing with you. I would not know where to begin with setting something like that up given the fact that video drivers are different.

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

This post on Tom's Hardware says two different types of video cards would work, unless you're running Vista.
          NVidia AND ATI in the same computer? - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

The other part of your question is whether or not you can selectively direct output toward one or the other video card (to avoid driving both at the same time). Probably yes, but I don't know how.

There will be complications, but that's okay because you're bored & restless.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
            Ahaha! I was thinking the exact same thing. What kind of terrible disease have you been drinking? You simply can't do that.

You need to hook them up one at a time, just like your mother---

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
              Duke doesn't do much multi-display stuff, that's for sure. I admit to not seeing an appeal to multiple panels, but I do own a board that offers both an AGP and a PCIe slot, and you CAN use a card in each to drive multiple monitors.

Niles, if I am following what you want to do, have you looked at this as a possible solution ??
              http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I do run two monitors BTW, I lOVE them. I game on one and I can watch my live hawks nes cam on the other.

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the new ATI cards will allow you to run with Nvidia. But I cant remember what all it said. But with your old stuff, who knows.
                  [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I don't want to run both cards at the same time. This isn't my goal. And I definitely understand the limitations of my motherboard. You can't run both an Nvidia card and an ATI card with multiple monitors at the same time. There are motherboards that do allow for Cross GPU platforms, but that's not what I'm talking about at all.

This right here is exactly what I want to do.

I want to install my ATI card below my GTX 560. Have both cards hooked to the power supply like you normally would. Whenever I want to use one card or the other, I simply plug in the monitor to the desired video card I prefer to use for the task at hand.

Iracing is a racing simulation that I play online and really does require 3 screens to race efficiently, but my GTX 560 can only run one monitor on the single GPU, but the ATI card can run 3 monitors fine.

I don't want to have to take out the cards from the case in order to do this operation, so I want to leave them hooked up to where all I have to do is plug in the monitor to whatever video card I want to use.

I'm hoping that with the software, it will ask me to stop running the Nvidia driver to start running the ATI software. Then everything will be great because I can get 2 more monitors without having to buy another graphics card

This is my end goal that I want to reach which is why I was asking if something like this will work. I guess I'll stop procrastinating, take a chance on the PC and see what happens lol

Comment

i see exactly what you want to do Niles ive tried it myself the problem is if you put a Ati card and a nvida in your MB at the same time they both want drivers to do that.. and the problem with that is windows 7 only allows one set of drivers to be installed at once, BUT i have heard there is a way to do it but apparently it requires a fair bit of coding and software work which to be honest isnt worth the time or money... your better buying a decent card and running everything on it. Also you said three screens ? Are you running an eyefinity setup or A main screen and 2 sub screens?? if your running eyefinity it drains a large amount of Gpu power and cpu power also what Psu do you have and what is its limit?
                      sigpic

The sentence below is true.
                      The sentence above is false.

Comment

Ya know what I was really thinking? Creating two partitions on the harddrive. Then logging into either the Nvidia Partition or the ATI partition to get around that.

Not sure if Windows will allow that or not, but it was the most creative thing that I could come up with in reading your reply haha

I'm going to be running 3 24 inch monitors with a 850 watt Corsair Power Supply. Not sure if I'm going to run eyefinity or not. If it drains alot from the GPU, I won't worry with it.

I'll most likely end up buying another GTX 560 as alot of people suggest I do that. Being broke and without a job is making me look for alternatives to do what I want lol

If I could get a job online doing something with computers, I would be living my dream!

Comment

well at least go work for Mc D's for a month and make the money for the card.

Comment

ROFL! I'm trying to stay the hell away from fast food places man. I would much rather work at a decent place. Never liked working in a place filled with slime.

Comment

All you have to do is reboot each time you change monitors. The system will look for whatever card is running the monitor at the time and load the appropriate driver. Try that and see if it works. You might be able to go into processes each time and disable one or the other. Havent run into this before so dont know.
                              [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X