Audio over DVI to HDMI cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio over DVI to HDMI cable

I have read over the past few months about DVI having no Audio Signal. However, I have been running my monitor on a DVI (From graphics card) to HDMI to plug into my monitor (For a year now). I am really confused about this subject. I don't know what HDCP means or if it matters, but I do get audio signal to my monitor. When I unplug my 3.5mm jack, my monitor's speakers start working. I have nothing attached to the monitor but the Power and the DVI/HDMI cable.

The main reason I am wondering about this is because I recently bought a new HDTV. I want to run HDMI from my PC to the TV. I was searching around for a nice long HDMI cable when I stumbled upon, and without thinking, bought a DVI-D to HDMI cable. It is in the mail, it should arrive on Tuesday. I then remembered that I read about DVI not carrying sound.

Could anyone explain to me, with detail if possible, why I am getting sound through DVI even though everyone (And I do mean everyone I found on the first pages of google) says it carries no audio signal. I will greatly appreciate it.

Somebody else might provide better details for you.
    This is from wiki: Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Features specific to HDMI, such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color, are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[7] and some multimedia displays accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities vary from product to product."

HDCP encryption is a content protection scheme that can complicate enjoying protected content, but apparently that is not a problem here.

Comment

Ah, so normally DVI doesn't transfer audio, but when plugged into a newer video card, it does? I hope it is based on the card, not the monitor/tv, else I would be screwed.

Thanks, Qicmee.

Comment

The DVI ports on those ATI 3000 series cards required a DVI/HDMI dongle that was a joke at most. People soon realised that even though the dongles should have been a one size fits all adapter, they simply weren't. Most cards didn't even come with said dongle making you hunt one down that was specific to your card, which was next to impossible as all retailers that sold them did so under 'ATI DVI/HDMI dongle'. Most people with these cards use a spdif out as it's much less hassle. Trust me, i know. (looks towards htpc)

I'm 99.9% sure that your DVI port will only transfer audio K.

Comment

Hold on, I have a nVidia card for one. You also said "only audio" but I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant to say only video. The cable should be dropped off tonight and hopefully I'll test it out.

And stop being angry lol

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
            Hold on, I have a nVidia card for one. You also said "only audio" but I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant to say only video. The cable should be dropped off tonight and hopefully I'll test it out.

And stop being angry lol
            Oops! Yes, meant video.

Grrrrrrr Rawrrrrr!!!!!

Comment

Got it- both video and audio work! Thanks, nVidia!

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Comment

very cool and great to know. thanks for sharing phantom!

Comment

Very interesting
                    [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                    Like the community? Donate here:
                    [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                      Got it- both video and audio work! Thanks, nVidia!

Thanks, guys.
                      Lucky lol.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X