Valve is looking for a few good hardware designers

Game maker Valve Software recruits hardware experts

Hardware, in the form of a crowbar, plays a part in Valve's Half-Life games
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

Resurrection looms for Half-Life
    Valve: Windows 8 a 'catastrophe'
    Valve Linux video games attacked
    Valve Software has started searching for hardware engineers.

The game maker has posted an ad seeking applicants for the post of "industrial designer".

The job description on the ad said Valve was "frustrated" by the lack of innovation in computer hardware and wanted to change that state of affairs.

It is not yet clear what gadgets successful applicants will be working on but the ad suggests it could involve replacements for mouse and keyboard.

Before now Valve has let it be known that it wants to expand beyond games into hardware but has revealed few details about those plans.

Game gear
    The job ad acknowledges Valve's debt to the personal computer but said the firm was trying to speed up the pace of innovation by "jumping in" itself.

"Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven't really changed in any meaningful way over the years," reads the advert. "There's a real void in the marketplace, and opportunities to create compelling user-experiences are being overlooked."

Successful applications will have logged at least six years in product development and be familiar with 2D and 3D design tools. Valve has released no more details about the mystery project.

In the past it has dismissed claims that it is working on a console-like device that would put its Steam online gaming service into a stand-alone box. However, tech news site Ars Technica pointed out that Valve has a patent on a controller with swappable parts.

News about the job posting came a day before Valve is due to expand its Steam online store to include non-game software.

The exact list of non-game titles will be revealed on 5 September. So far, Valve has only said that it will involve creativity and productivity applications.

Developers keen to get their software in front of Steam users have been asked to submit their creations via the Steam Greenlight portal.

Since its creation, Steam has primarily been a way for gamers to buy and download games. Currently more than 1,500 games are available via the service and it is believed to have more than 50 million users.

Sounds like they want to create Wii type controllers. Imagine holding a mini flamethrower while playing TF2? lol.

Comment

I'll show them my hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
        I'll show them my hardware.
        they are looking for more then subpar.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
          they are looking for more then subpar.
          Have you seen Valve products? They're all subpar.

Also, they are talking about making a valve NextGen gaming system. That's why they need people and are looking for them on the web, great place to find pointless talents.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
            ...they need people and are looking for them on the web, great place to find pointless talents.
            I believe their web search and the wide publicity is intended to attract special talent (not just non-talent). Valve doesn't usually hire for this skill set, so if they don't blast it out, the best people won't notice.

A lot of people want to work at Valve. If curious why, take a look at their unique employee manual.

Comment

here is an article on the employee manual.
              http://boingboing.net/2012/04/22/val...-describe.html

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                by Apache Warrior
                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to 6 years
                by Sirex
                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                by Sirex
                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                by Sirex
                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                by Sirex
                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
              Working...
              X