Whine from Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whine from Power Supply

So I now have a whine from my power supply. I called my tech support where I got the computer. I am out of the parts warranty for the company, but the PS is still in warranty. They said It should be replaced as it sounds like something going south.
    Computer is 1 yr old.
    Whine comes on when the computer is off or on.
    Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX600 V2

Anyone have this happen?

If its under warranty just replace it. The Corsair reps are active on [H]ard and on Corsair forums.

I had a PSU whine many years ago. Interesting though cause it was Ultra X3 1000 watt and I was thinking it was a good quality. At the time I finally got my hands on the Nvidia XFX GTX 280. It whine like a pig when I played Crysis and wine from time to time in COD4. Sometimes it would shut down my PC. Took me a few days to figure out what could it be.

Reading forums and doing the "try a different PSU" so I bought a Corsair 650TX and the wine stop when I played those games. Im sold with Corsair products except for their USB drives, they currently seem to have issues. Anyway now I have Corsair HX850 that did run with EVGA GTX 480 and XFX GTX280 for nvidia physx. I since then removed the GTX 280 cause not may games I play use physx

I guess yours is just about to take a dump.

Comment

Replace it.
      Caddy, I have two Corsair USB Drives, that I use constantly, and have had for over three years.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I wouldn't mess around with that, if you PSU goes south it could take some other component with it.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Mention the [H]ard forum one more time, Caddys. ONE MORE DAMN TIME!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
            Replace it.
            Caddy, I have two Corsair USB Drives, that I use constantly, and have had for over three years.
            Apache
            I been looking into a Corsair USB drive but only reason I post about issues with the Corsair USB drive is the Corsair forums been full of issues with them http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=171

I know its not a true way to scale if Corsair USB drive is having issues since it could be a small scale of problems and the majority of people who are not having any problems are not posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
              I wouldn't mess around with that, if you PSU goes south it could take some other component with it.
              Very unlikely with a Corsair.

Sounds like capacitor whine. I imagine the sound goes away when the power lead is unplugged?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                Very unlikely with a Corsair.

Sounds like capacitor whine. I imagine the sound goes away when the power lead is unplugged?
                I can shut down the power with a back switch and it goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                  I can shut down the power with a back switch and it goes away.
                  Definitely sounds like capacitor whine. It's normally associated with graphics cards.

I doubt you'd have any issues with getting a replacement, but i also doubt it's going to pop anytime soon.

Comment

Thanks Juneau

Comment

If they want to replace it for free let them. If something did happen and it damaged a non warrantied product, would they replace it at no charge too?
                      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X