Help me with my old SLOW computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with my old SLOW computer.

The first rig I built is several years old I has an Intel Quad core 9450 and 6 GB of DDR2. It has been used by my wife for quite awhile and it's getting really slow. It take 5 to 10 seconds to do anything after I click it. Clicking on a picture will take 5 seconds and WMP takes 10. Here is what I have checked so far.

AVG has been running in the background and but hasn't scanned (It's in progress now)
    MSE and Malwarebytes are running and show green.
    I ran CCleaner, both the cleaner and the registry tool.
    Windows 7 is fully updated.
    There is plenty of room on the HDD about 70% free.
    The CPU load never seems to get too high as well as the memory usage.

I'm thinking of doing a reinstall of windows but that will take a long time and would be a huge PITA so i was looking for anything else to check.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Duke, you know the answer to that one. The older the computer gets the more junk there is to clean up. Registries get filled with bad files. Old uninstallations that have gone array. AVG itself. Everything slows down that computer but it has a Quad Core and more than enough RAM to do everything you're talking about in no time.

You need to reformat. I get lazy with formatting but you know it's worth it. Nothing like a clean windows.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      Duke, you know the answer to that one. The older the computer gets the more junk there is to clean up. Registries get filled with bad files. Old uninstallations that have gone array. AVG itself. Everything slows down that computer but it has a Quad Core and more than enough RAM to do everything you're talking about in no time.

You need to reformat. I get lazy with formatting but you know it's worth it. Nothing like a clean windows.
      Enough reality, I need a quicker fix.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
        Enough reality, I need a quicker fix.
        Buy a new computer?

Check to see if the Ram is still good?

Comment

The delayed response could point toward defective hardware (cpu, ram, etc.) or a crazy problem within Windows.

I'd install a spare hard drive, install Win7, and see if the problem is eliminated. If it's still slow, then the cause is most likely hardware. If the PC is peppy again, then it could still be hardware (not overloaded yet) but is more likely software.

The biggest slowdowns I've seen on old PCs were from anitvirus software bloat. That shouldn't the major cause here.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
            Buy a new computer?

Check to see if the Ram is still good?
            yea if the money is there, pre built computers now a days are often better deals then buying the parts and assembling it yourself....as an example: i got this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229285 and it ended up being around $600 if i wanted to get all of the parts, only 530 to just buy it though, and a free beyboard too
            [hlx]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
              by Apache Warrior
              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
            • Reply to 6 years
              by Sirex
              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
              Just hit 2.5K miles...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
              by Sirex
              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
              by Sirex
              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
              by Sirex
              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
            Working...
            X