X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinfoil Hat or no? You be the judge here. lol

Hi there,

Long time no see, and happy holidays.

I had for a few months been working as a basic computer ISP troubleshooting tech, I usually get "crazies" on the line, and I thought this woman was crazy, but it seemed like she actually knew what she was talking about, in FACT, she knew so much that I could not figure out her issue at ALL, or if she even had the right dept.

She had claimed her modem was never provisioned right since she became a member of the ISP 6 months ago. At first, she thought it was a computer problem, took it to a MAC store, and they wiped the drive clean.

She can connect through her router, but not when connected through her modem. She said apparently she checked a few things like "What is my IP.com" and saw NetBIOS and WINS server addresses...she has a MAC....those readings are synonymous to WINDOWS related settings only, and thought that someone was illegally piggy backing through her ISP account SOMEhow. And that her assigned IP addresses (static, not dynamic) ....that her IP # is only for BUSINESS accounts, not residential.

Also, when she connect directly to her modem, she has an "Amber" light on her "online activity" link light, but when through the router, it's green....she said it should be "Green" either way. She thought she her ISP account was illegally being hacked into from the outside and was using her account, but this is something that one could only discover when connecting straight to the modem.

And thought this was a security breach.

I thought this woman was crazy, but I dunno for sure, because I know some people like to pretend to know what they're talking about, but she VERY well may could have been.

Thanks

My modem light is always amber when I connect a router. It's green without. That lady has a tinfoil had... which I'm assuming you made for her.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      My modem light is always amber when I connect a router. It's green without. That lady has a tinfoil had... which I'm assuming you made for her.
      Right, lol..and according to her, that's considered "suspicious activity on your ISP acct" , simply because the color was different, and she came up with this cock-a-mamy crap to support it. I found it funny that she came up with all this crap, so I tested my theory to see if she knew what she was talking about by simply asking her to do a "renew/release", she hadn't the foggiest idea how to do that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_T0NY {CLR} View Post
        Hi there,

Long time no see, and happy holidays.

I had for a few months been working as a basic computer ISP troubleshooting tech, I usually get "crazies" on the line, and I thought this woman was crazy, but it seemed like she actually knew what she was talking about, in FACT, she knew so much that I could not figure out her issue at ALL, or if she even had the right dept.

She had claimed her modem was never provisioned right since she became a member of the ISP 6 months ago. At first, she thought it was a computer problem, took it to a MAC store, and they wiped the drive clean.

She can connect through her router, but not when connected through her modem. She said apparently she checked a few things like "What is my IP.com" and saw NetBIOS and WINS server addresses...she has a MAC....those readings are synonymous to WINDOWS related settings only, and thought that someone was illegally piggy backing through her ISP account SOMEhow. And that her assigned IP addresses (static, not dynamic) ....that her IP # is only for BUSINESS accounts, not residential.

Also, when she connect directly to her modem, she has an "Amber" light on her "online activity" link light, but when through the router, it's green....she said it should be "Green" either way. She thought she her ISP account was illegally being hacked into from the outside and was using her account, but this is something that one could only discover when connecting straight to the modem.

And thought this was a security breach.

I thought this woman was crazy, but I dunno for sure, because I know some people like to pretend to know what they're talking about, but she VERY well may could have been.

Thanks
        Some ISP's lock their services to a specific MAC address or range of MAC address's (They are assigned by Manufacturer and are Unique to each network device), a friend of mine had Cable internet, he was trying to set up a network but it wasn't working. I notice it works when connected to the computer but doesn't when connected to the router. Easy fix, clone the MAC address and done.

As for NetBIOS and WINS, does she have Samba running? Just about every user friendly *Nix distro I have used has it enabled by default Mac being a user friendly distro is based off of FreeBSD (I think its FreeBSD) would definitely have it enabled by default, so you can easily connect to Windows shares/Other Devices that Use it.

As for her IP address, how the F' would she know, ARIN/IANA/ICANN only assigns IP address to large business entities, how the end users ISP assigns them is up to them. Long ago ISPs could probably separate certain IP's using different values for the second and third octet, but IPv4 addresses are drying up so they use whatever they can. As for Dynamic vs Static, she seems to not know her ass from her elbow

Comment

I dunno man, she's a Mac user. You'd do well to trust her vast technological know-how.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
          Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
            by Apache Warrior
            6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
          • Reply to 6 years
            by Sirex
            I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
            Just hit 2.5K miles...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
          • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
            by Sirex
            Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
          • Reply to Hell Let Loose
            by Sirex
            Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
          • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
            by Sirex
            Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
          Working...
          X