Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming soon: Self-healing chips for smartphones, computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming soon: Self-healing chips for smartphones, computers?

http://www.itnews.com/processors/572...ones-computers

Skynet moves one step closer lol.

Oh crap! I'm honestly worried about this technology. "They first time we saw it heal itself, we were excited." Who the hell is excited about the start of the end of the world?!?!?!?!

I'm not honestly scared, but it does show some ignorance to some degree lol! I'm actually hoping for something like Skynet. Imagine the evolutionary change! Going from body to machine, or hell even circuitry. I know I'm a geek when I saw this, but I would love to be a processor that can dish out millions of bits of data within a millisecond. If you honestly think about it, we're not really all too different from computers. We all need some form of instruction to perform in our daily lives. Once computers learn how to discover things without the need of instructions, that's when we really should worry lmao! Good find there June

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
      This was my exact thought as I red the title.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

ok so the question is it cost effective?
        There was a type of paint marketed on Infinity cars that would self heal smalls scratches. It was a total Bomb because of the extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
          ok so the question is it cost effective?
          There was a type of paint marketed on Infinity cars that would self heal smalls scratches. It was a total Bomb because of the extra cost.
          Evolution is not cost effective. There's give and take to everything in life. This step forward in technology will allow us to create even better chipsets for computers. Self healing would be an overclocker's dream! Of course better cooling would be a dream too, but being able to destroy a chip and then watch it bring itself to life again. That would be awesome! Of course that's not the case here, but it's a starting point to evolve the technology to that point. Imagine a computer you never have to replace parts on.

You can't worry about cost when it comes to something like this. Research will never be cost effective if you want to actually discover something new.

Comment

You might worry about cost when the replacement is better and costs less. Unless tech starts to flat line with what we normally need to do I don't know if this will be useful for the mass markets.
            Would be useful for some not all. So if your flying in space you might not want to stop to replace something or if it is a part that will need to last for 10+ years it would be cost effective. If you change your computer every 3 years it might not be. Especially if it needs any lengthy process or mineral to achieve the repair.

Comment

how would it handle a ESD (electro static discharge) and a power surge thats my question lol............cuz its in a chip state not system state as the article said so im wondering about the healing proccess of the chip state regarding the energy of esd and power surge fluctuations lol

Comment

hmm....

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                  by Apache Warrior
                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                • Reply to 6 years
                  by Sirex
                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                  by Sirex
                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                  by Sirex
                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                  by Sirex
                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                Working...
                X