Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Ram?

How do you know when the ram is bad?
    I just added 2 new sticks and the meter showing the ram usage is not much better.
    Seems like it should be a much lower percentage.

If you suspect you have bad RAM, you should run MEMTEST86.
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

From my experiences its been jerky software/os, crashes of programs and random momentary freezing of user input and outputs.
      Mainly the last one i see most of the time, windows is sensitive to bad memory addresses.

But memtest is only way to be sure.
      Nice thing is it gives you the address if the bad blocks so can roughly guess the sticks.

If you dont have much time to test a quick 'i wonder'trick i use is turn off pagefiles and open up a biggish file in notepad many times.
      Filling the memory, and eventually hitting any errors, notepad will freeze or crash with access violatons.
      But that only works if the bios has picked up on the memory sticks obviously

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
      ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Did mtest show anything Fooler? Usually bad RAM displays itself as BSOD's. I'm wondering if yours might be a BIOS issue. Any updates available for it?

Comment

I didn't try it. I just need the time and a something to write the program onto .
          I now have 4 sticks of 4 gb ddr3 ram. One of the old ones I bet is bad. I never really had problems just seemed a little lag and the % meter of ram use only went down 4 % when I added the 8GB more.

I might just buy 2 new sticks of ram and replace the old ones. It cost me $50 dollars.

Comment

That's our GF .. throw $$ at it rather than diagnose it !! C'mon dude, learning how to troubleshoot your PC is a skill you will be able to use time after time !!!

Send me the 'bad' RAM and I will test it ..... if it's bad I can toss it out, if it's good I can .... nah, I will keep it
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I LOVE how he can't read how much ram he has. He's relying on the "meter" showing percentages. Do me a favor, right click on "My Computer" and select properties. It will show as "installed RAM." This is basic stuff, buddy. If it is showing 16GBs then you're good. Your computer isn't going to use LESS ram just because you added MORE ram. And maybe go read the entry for RAM on Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                I LOVE how he can't read how much ram he has. He's relying on the "meter" showing percentages. Do me a favor, right click on "My Computer" and select properties. It will show as "installed RAM." This is basic stuff, buddy. If it is showing 16GBs then you're good. Your computer isn't going to use LESS ram just because you added MORE ram. And maybe go read the entry for RAM on Wikipedia.
                Oh I see it show the 16gb. It just has always felt tweaked. I just think something is wrong there. I had a previous problem where it did show the ram but it wasn't connected correctly and popping it back in helped. I just always wondered if it fully fixed it.
                I will get around to it walking. It just is so much easier to buy new stuff... Now I have to learn more on top of all the other crap on my plate.

BTW I can make up the cost in my head by not going out to each much and just cooking it myself.

Comment

From my experience it's best to buy ram in pairs. In other words if you're gonna buy 4 then get them all at the same time from the factory. The timings may be off on one of the pairs. Dont know if that might hinder it, but it could. Test it with just the new pair. See if it makes any difference.
                  [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
                    From my experience it's best to buy ram in pairs. In other words if you're gonna buy 4 then get them all at the same time from the factory. The timings may be off on one of the pairs. Dont know if that might hinder it, but it could. Test it with just the new pair. See if it makes any difference.
                    I should have done that. It is just a pita to get to the ram. One of the CPU fans is right over the ram.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                    Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                      by Apache Warrior
                      6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                    • Reply to 6 years
                      by Sirex
                      I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                      Just hit 2.5K miles...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                      by Sirex
                      Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                    • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                      by Sirex
                      Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                    • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                      by Sirex
                      Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                    Working...
                    X