DSLR lens help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSLR lens help

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with the standard 18-55mm lens. I would like to get a new lens with more zoom capability. For you guys out there with SLRs and SLR experience, what would you recommend for a second lens? Should I get an 18-200mm lens to just replace the one I have, should I go with a 75-300mm to give more zoom? I would prefer to spend no more than $200, but I can go over that if need be. I saw this on buydig that looks like a good deal.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...mid=200&ref=cj
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

When I was using an SLR, I tried to avoid changing the lens due to letting dust into the body. So, for myself, I'd choose this Tamron lens. Switching from the max. of 55mm to 200mm would be a huge change anyway. I assume your current lens might be a bit better for low light than this Tamron.

You already read the reviews?
    http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-18-2...owViewpoints=1

Have fun!

Comment

Definitely a good deal. Glass is expensive. I haven't even bought a new lens since getting my camera four years ago. I'd love to be able to get something with a bigger zoom, but I can't rationalize the cost. Under $200 is a steal, and if you want it, go for it. I can't speak for the quality of the manufacturer though. If it's got good reviews, get it.

Comment

Just remember that with zooms that have a wide focal range, you get the jack of all trades, master of none thing. It is great for practicality, but the image quality won't be as good. Compared to getting say a fixed 135mm prime lens, where the image quality is awesome, but it's not so versatile.

I had a few Tamron lenses and one Sigma lens and the one irk i have is the slow autofocus. Granted, if you are shooting in the day, not an issue. But I shoot shows in low light, so major issue.

Canon makes a decent 55-250mm lens. It's an entry level kit lens (so same quality as your 18-55) and is usually sold in kits with the rebel line cameras. I'd probably opt for that over the Tamron or any 18-200 lens, but that's me. I shot with a friend's 55-250 a few years ago and was pretty impressed for the lens that it is.

A bit more expensive is the 70-300, but now you are in the $650 range. I had this lens for a while and loved it. It's a middle line lens. Not pro, but not entry level either. It replaced the 75-300 which honestly is pretty crap.

So for around $200, I'd recommend 55-250 over the other ones listed.

Glass is by FAR the most important component for image quality, focus speed and so on. I'd so rather have a cheap camera and good glass, than a pro line camera with cheap glass.
        [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
        So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Great topic and replies. I also have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with the standard 18-55 lens and have been wondering about other options.
          --Slaughter

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I will follow Twink's advice and go with a Canon 55 - 250.
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

OK, I am confused, what is the advantage of going with these:
              Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras - $299
              Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras - $649
              Over:
              Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras - $199

Comment

This is an old review of the 55-250, from 2008, but also mentions other Canon lenses. I don't know enough of the differences yet to determine why one would be picked over another, though the 55-250 might be what I go with based on this review.
                --Slaughter

Comment

Maybe I can help a little. I used to be into photography back in the day and just got back into it as a hobby about a year and a half ago. I've purchased just about every entry level lens from 99$ to $550.00 I have to agree with Big Twinky, for your budget the 55-250 would be the way to go.

And to help you with your question the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras - $199 Has no image stabilization. Shooting at the higher focal lengths you are going to need a tripod. I have this lens and have taken some cool shots of the moon with it. I tend not to use it that much due to the lack of image stabilization, it makes a difference.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras - $649, now I don't own this one but USM stands for Ultrasonic Motor. It's a faster focusing lens and at the price will offer better quality.

Finally the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras - $299. I have this one, it has image stabilization and focuses pretty quick. You can take some decent portraits with it.

My 2 cents, out of all the ones I bought my favorites have been the Sigma 17-70mm first version about $350. And the Canon 18-135mm second version $549. What I like about these lenses are the front elements are pretty big and let in a lot of light. And photos come out very sharp. Most of the time 135mm is all the zoom I need. It really depends on what you will be shooting.
                  Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Ordered the Canon 55-250 off Rakuten for $140.

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns View Post
                      Maybe I can help a little. I used to be into photography back in the day and just got back into it as a hobby about a year and a half ago. I've purchased just about every entry level lens from 99$ to $550.00 I have to agree with Big Twinky, for your budget the 55-250 would be the way to go.

And to help you with your question the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras - $199 Has no image stabilization. Shooting at the higher focal lengths you are going to need a tripod. I have this lens and have taken some cool shots of the moon with it. I tend not to use it that much due to the lack of image stabilization, it makes a difference.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras - $649, now I don't own this one but USM stands for Ultrasonic Motor. It's a faster focusing lens and at the price will offer better quality.

Finally the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras - $299. I have this one, it has image stabilization and focuses pretty quick. You can take some decent portraits with it.

My 2 cents, out of all the ones I bought my favorites have been the Sigma 17-70mm first version about $350. And the Canon 18-135mm second version $549. What I like about these lenses are the front elements are pretty big and let in a lot of light. And photos come out very sharp. Most of the time 135mm is all the zoom I need. It really depends on what you will be shooting.
                      From now on when I see the Hellboy avatar I am going to think "Little Mermaid collectors plate".

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
                        From now on when I see the Hellboy avatar I am going to think "Little Mermaid collectors plate".
                        Lol my wife and I have two different ideas when it comes to entertainment. She's hard core Disney, my toaster even burns Mickey Mouse on my toast and plays "It's a small world" when it done

@Dead Again, that's a real good price!
                        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns View Post
                          Lol my wife and I have two different ideas when it comes to entertainment. She's hard core Disney, my toaster even burns Mickey Mouse on my toast and plays "It's a small world" when it done

@Dead Again, that's a real good price!
                          At least it is easy to get her a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                            I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with the standard 18-55mm lens. I would like to get a new lens with more zoom capability. For you guys out there with SLRs and SLR experience, what would you recommend for a second lens? Should I get an 18-200mm lens to just replace the one I have, should I go with a 75-300mm to give more zoom? I would prefer to spend no more than $200, but I can go over that if need be. I saw this on buydig that looks like a good deal.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...mid=200&ref=cj
                            I've been shooting for about 6 years now with Nikon. When I first started shooting I tried to go your route and get a lens that was versatile in terms of wide angle and zoom.

If I were you, I'd save up for a lens with a bigger aperture. Now I only get lenses that are f/2.8 or better (f/1.8 or f/1.4).

It's going to cost you a little more, but in the long run you'll be happier with your lens and your shots.

+ flipkid

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                              by Apache Warrior
                              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                            • Reply to 6 years
                              by Sirex
                              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                              Just hit 2.5K miles...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                              by Sirex
                              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                              by Sirex
                              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                              by Sirex
                              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                            Working...
                            X