Let's Talk About BIG TV'S :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Talk About BIG TV'S :)

Alright, if there is anywhere on this internet we all live in where I could get tons of good advice...I know it's here.

I want to buy a 60" flat screen HD TV. I have been hearing mixed opinions on LCD vs LED vs Plasma.

The sales guy today told me that LCD is on its way out and LED is great and that Plasma is the best for a family that watches lots of movies and plays lots of games because of it's high refresh rate.

I am not looking for a "Smart TV" I have no need to have a TV that comes with Netflix, etc.. What I want is simply great HD without all the bells and whistles.

I am way behind the curve on these TV's. The only flat screens I have had are my computer monitors

What says the Lair?

My "Hopeful" price range is about $1000.00 and I have been leaning towards Plasma (Labor Day Sale)

Here I thought it was a discussion on Phantoms Butt...ok sorry to highjack it just had to be said.

Comment

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P2s78PO...flatpanel.html
      [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
        Here I thought it was a discussion on Phantoms Butt...ok sorry to highjack it just had to be said.
        I am tired of you treating me like a sex object. I am a human being!

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
          I am tired of you treating me like a sex object. I am a human being!
          I think we should have a poll on that....

Comment

Avforums is your friend. The knowledge in that community for A/V is endless.

If you then need some more local info try avsforums. While Avforums is a worldwide community it is mainly a UK site.

Comment

I have a Samsung 55" LED Smart TV. I don't use Smart TV often and haven't done Netflix or HULU or VUDU type apps (though I might one day as I am getting tired of paying for tiers of hundreds of channels where I only watch maybe 10 max), but I do use it now and again to watch things like TED presentations, BBC News videos and to listen to my free Pandora account through my home theatre system. The TV is also 3D capable but I haven't purchased the glasses yet or a blue-ray/3D player.

That aside, I absolutely love the display, ease of use and additionally, the size/weight compared to my previous (old) 50" plasma TV which took two people to move.
              --Slaughter

Comment

I like to check Consumer Reports at the public library for general info, but CR doesn't always use my criteria.
                "The best plasma and LCD TVs - Published: March 2013"
                http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...-tvs/index.htm

Most TV models have reviews on Amazon. I recently got a nice deal at Sam's Club cheaper than the sale price at Best Buy.

The good news is that in going from a CRT to flat screen, you will be very happy. However, if you have a techie friend visit, he might nitpick anything. If you choose a high quality manufacturer (LG, Panasonic, Samsung), you will have fewer concerns after the purchase.

The extra features on new TVs are fairly common now. These are pushed in marketing to avoid admitting high quality TVs are very similar.

The lower quality TVs generally use panels with a narrower viewing angle. This won't give everybody the best picture in a wide room.

"They" say the choice between LCD vs. plasma depends a lot on the type of ambient lighting in the room. Plasmas look less impressive in brighter rooms.

Comment

This one has caught my eye.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN60F5300AFXZA

Comment

I wouldn't buy a plasma TV today. Apart from heat, high energy consumption and difficult handling and weight one can gain nothing from these today.

Samsung UE65F8090 for high budget.
                    Samsung UE55F6500 for low budget.

We are using 2x UE60D8090, 2x UE40F6500, 1x UE32ES6300 and 1x UE27D5000 and 2 older PN42 here, all worth their price. - But it really depends on your field of work.
                    Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

My latest TV is a 47" Samsung LED. I would recommend LED personally. They are so much lighter than standard LCD or Plasma TVs. I think they use less energy also. I really like the Samsungs.
                      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Quite a lot more love for Samsung than I expected. I've owned one in the past and while the picture was OK, I felt the rest of the unit was below par, especially build. I'm now running 2 Sony's and my next upgrade will probably be Panasonic.

Comment

Definitely check out Sam's prices. I had to pickup some supplies before we opened today and they had a 60" Vizio LED for $998.00.
                          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

A lot of good points on both LED and Plasma.

I have been told as far as Plasma goes now a days that they can last about 10 years. That is better than the last time I had looked at Plasma when the life was about...7 years if you were lucky.

I have been told that the LED Tv's have artificially created "bright light" type of affect. Like when you look at a scene with grass, the grass looks fake because it is just so bright and over "animated"? I have also been told that the LED lights on the screen go out quite often and they are a pain in the butt to replace.

edit: My number 1 concern is crisp clear picture quality. I am not concerned with being green and saving the planet with less energy, heat, and weight, etc...

I am definitely looking at the Plasma more I admit. But Ill look at the LED as well.

Comment

The best thing you can do is go to the store and look at the models you are interested in and compare the picture.
                              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X