No announcement yet.

Let's Talk About BIG TV'S :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED vs. Plasma lifetimes? Both designs have resolved most of their old problems. However, this only means that the screen has become less of an issue for TV lifetime (not a key limiting factor). Consumers don't know how long a particular model of TV will last, but I'd expect longer lifetimes from top tier companies. Manufacturers know exactly which TVs are failing early, but that's a secret. If a guy has strong feelings about how soon the newest screens will fail (unknowable), then he probably also has strong opinions on everything else (weather, insects, royal babies).

Compared to antique CRT designs which were refined for decades, any new TV is "experimental". The previous generation of flat screen TVs lasted 5-years or longer. The new designs should be much better. After several years, if the electronics still work, the screen will be dimmer & colors will have shifted (plasma or LCD).

Regarding color, most TVs are highly adjustable. In the Amazon reviews for popular models, some enthusiasts enjoy describing screen appearance and their favorite settings.

Comment

There are even apps for your phone that will help you refine your screen for better viewing.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I bought a Samsung 6900 series just over a year ago and we are very pleased with it. The picture is simply amazing and the clear acrylic rim picks up the surrounding colors nicely. It's mounted in a room with lots of windows and we never seem to have a problem with the glare, there is some glare but its not too noticeable. Accessing the internet is kind of a pain on it, the menu is slow and annoying, the remote also sucks down batteries like crazy. If I were shopping now I would look for this exact screen minus the smart features.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
          LED vs. Plasma lifetimes? Both designs have resolved most of their old problems. However, this only means that the screen has become less of an issue for TV lifetime (not a key limiting factor). Consumers don't know how long a particular model of TV will last, but I'd expect longer lifetimes from top tier companies. Manufacturers know exactly which TVs are failing early, but that's a secret. If a guy has strong feelings about how soon the newest screens will fail (unknowable), then he probably also has strong opinions on everything else (weather, insects, royal babies).

Compared to antique CRT designs which were refined for decades, any new TV is "experimental". The previous generation of flat screen TVs lasted 5-years or longer. The new designs should be much better. After several years, if the electronics still work, the screen will be dimmer & colors will have shifted (plasma or LCD).

Regarding color, most TVs are highly adjustable. In the Amazon reviews for popular models, some enthusiasts enjoy describing screen appearance and their favorite settings.

Good points. I checked out the Amazon reviews. Basically most reviews pointed towards Plasma for better refresh and better for movies and games. Seems like watching sports has even reviews split down the middle for LED and Plasma.

Apache, Ill check out the droid market for those apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
            .... If I were shopping now I would look for this exact screen minus the smart features.
            That is exactly what I am doing

No bells and whistles. Just need a really good looking screen.

Comment

Ok, so far this is my order. Keep in mind I am making a "budget" system. So I was limited on what I could and could not get. Orders of Mrs. DARK4SE

TV - http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN60F5300AFXZA - $849.95

Receiver - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV4...75.html?tp=179 - $399.00

Speakers - http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tl1600 - $399.00

Plus misc cables - $69.98

I am not buying all that from those web sites. They are just links to show the item.

So far my total cost is... $1859.22

Comment

Samsung ftw!!!! Plasma? No 3D? Plasma may have improved it's life expectancy but it doesn't have a picture advantage anymore either. 3D usually doesn't cost any more. I may upgrade my TV too.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F8000BFXZA

But I'd love to wait for the OLED prices to fall first.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I looked at the 3D version of the one I choose. It was $1300 and change. If it would have been on sale I might have considered it. I think it may have came with 1 pair of glasses as well. But as with most new stuff I have heard a lot of mixed views on 3D Tv's.

Comment

Be sure to let us know how you like it.

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
                      Be sure to let us know how you like it.
                      Well I have to say, what was suppose to be a simple house remodel sure has been one of the most stressful times I have had in years. With exception of the easy stuff, the selection of AV/TV equipment, which I thank everyone for all advice, this has just been hell.

I know I didn't mention it but I also have been having the my entire house repainted (inside) and carpeted. New furniture, the works! This was a bigger job than the Mrs or I had thought it would be. Which is leading me to "letting you know how I like it"

The furniture and the TV/Audio (best part of job) inst scheduled to be delivered until September 5th. That was the one thing we did plan correctly, the delivery of goods, because we knew we would be re-organizing the house for a few days until the TV and stuff arrived.

But I am really excited for the TV delivery/install. It is being delivered on the 5th but installed on the 12 and 13th. The Mrs and I choose to have the TV and stereo professionally installed. All wires and all power outlets are going to be hidden in the walls. When you look at the system there are going to be no visible wires what so ever.

The company I bought all the AV/TV from wanted to charge me $1500.00 for that kind of install. I found one of their "installers" and made a deal with him on the side for $700.00 cash money

When all of it is finished I will post before and after pics.

Comment

Sounds interesting, I was fortunate to have been able to wire the place before the drywall went in son I could do a clean install myself. I hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                        Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                          by Apache Warrior
                          6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                        • Reply to 6 years
                          by Sirex
                          I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                          Just hit 2.5K miles...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                        • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                          by Sirex
                          Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                        • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                          by Sirex
                          Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                          by Sirex
                          Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                        Working...
                        X