Having some issues with my computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having some issues with my computer.

Well I have been out of here for a while due to not liking the counter strike game and being a full time student and employee this summer I was mobbed.

Onto the issue I will describe in detail what has happened from the start and where I am at currently.

First off I just moved into a new apartment and thus just moved the pc as a whole so I assume it stopped working due to some shortage caused by dmg in the move.

My computer got all hooked up and running fine here for 2-3 days then died (shut off) randomly while playing Skyrim one day. I got frustrated and walked away. The fallowing day when I went to turn it on I received an error message on my monitor that read it's not receiving a signal. The computer sounded fine fans booted could hear the disk drive launch but the monitor received no signal.

With further looking at it and cleaning out the small amount of dust inside it (I clean it out with compressed air every 2-3 months) I discovered the fan attached to my video card (HD radeon 5500) is not running. This is what I assume is the biggest hint although I cannot find too much that says anything other than the video card is broken which as i will explain later I have determined isn't.

First check: Used an HDMI cord to connect it to the TV to test it. Still no signal received by the TV.
    Assumption was that it was a bad Video Card. Tested my card into another computer and immediately received a signal on the monitor the fan ran just fine and the computer booted up just fine.

Asked a buddy of mine who after some checks thought maybe it was the motherboard given it is 3 years old and potentially might have some damage from the trade so online I found a new one that was exactly the same as my old one and installed it with no issues.
    Result the same as before no change in the symptoms.

On Tuesday I am taking my computer and the psu to a friend an hr away that owns a pc repair company who has the tool that allows you to check the connections on the psu. As this is my last idea that potentially the PCI-E power connection isnt sending power to the card as it and it's fan worked fine when I plugged the Video card into another computer.

Let us know how the PSU tests go. It does sound likely to be the cause.

Comment

Will do I honestly thought it was the motherboard given the rest of the fans and the disk drive seem to work but guess not

Comment

Okay well the tool showed I was having an issue with the psu basically it wasn't sending enough bolts but it was working. I have a working psu from a friend but now I have a new symptom. The fan on the graphics card goes really fast then kinda resets and builds up to fast again over and over this cycle takes roughly 4-5 seconds and is continuous. Still no display. Any ideas?

On a side now how do I reset bios from the motherboard I know there is a way just don't know what it is
        Last edited by Pumpkin_Jack; 6 Sep 2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Throw computer out of the window. The whole damn thing is broken lol

Comment

Seems to be. I don't know what else to try at this point. The graphics card works in another computer I replaced the motherboard and psu I'm absolutely clueless as to what it can be

Comment

Reset?
              When I've bought Asus motherboard's, their website provided a manual that showed how to reset my overclock conditions. Overwriting the BIOS with a different version requires a functional PC (at least a USB drive for mine).

When I have a stubborn, messy problem, I stop. If possible, I use two PCs side-by-side and trade/transfer one component at a time to find which component causes a change in my symptom. If nothing eliminates the symptom, the broken PC will eventually have everything replaced except the case & wiring (for switches). I've never had to go that far.

Comment

Yep, reset the bios. Either a jumper on the motherboard (traditional way) or a little button on the board or rear I/O panel (some modern boards). If that doesn't work try a bios reset with the battery removed.

Comment

Processor is what turns out to have been the issue. Which explains why I thought it was the motherboard as the symptoms are almost identical

Comment

What processor do/did you have Pumpkin?
                    [img]http://www.fpsreport.com/tuqui/Sig01.jpg[/img]

Comment

Quite surprised the CPU was at fault. CPU's pretty much never die.

Comment

Had the CPU been overvolted?
                        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                          Had the CPU been overvolted?
                          That's usually the reason they die.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                            That's usually the reason they die.
                            My thoughts exactly
                            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Nope no for sure reason for its death just died. Weird but hey its fixed now ready for GTA5

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X