Old tired PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
    if you have any computer knowledge, I would recommend building your own. The guys here will help with any questions you have, and building a system is really not that hard. It will save you a lot of money, and you won't have all that extra bs installed...
    I have limited knowledge for sure. My last two PC's were just HP's I purchased and upgraded RAM and the graphics card on. Those two HP's have lasted me back to 2003 witch is why I really like the brand. I was looking at parts the other day and about the only things I could decide on were the processor (i5 or AMD FX), graphics card, and memory. Other than that I was rather clueless. I figure the motherboard is just find a decent brand (I'm clueless on them) and compatible with the processor you choose. Then for the hard drive I have no clue what the hell I'm looking at. Don't laugh but this was a serious question of my, is the CD drive built into the hard drive or separate? I thought they were separate, but the pictures looked like they were combined.. Also when I tallied up the parts they it was higher than buying a cheap custom built from the like IBuy or those type companies witch is why I was looking at them in the first place. Cheap and fast if you can just get lucky and not get a faulty one.

I have found some HP Envy's (their more gaming style towers) in the $600-$700 witch is a little higher, but closer to what I want to spend with the i5 or AMD FX six core for another $50. Was thinking about maybe just doing that again then save up to upgrade the Graphics card a little while after getting it.
    Apparently my BF EA manager name is "AwesomeFK" If anyone knows how to change that let me know.
    BF4: Awesome FK
    Steam ID: henry06x
    Xbox Live: H3llboundH3ro v
    X henry06x

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
      How's it feel when it doesn't?
      I already know the answer.
      I enjoy never calling a tech support hotline.
      +1
      I have built my own computer and it wasn't that satisfying to play around with it. I just go into the kitchen for fun.

Comment

listen if you can read and understand what you are reading you can put together a computer......it is like snapping together legos man very easy very very simple im telling you you will have 10 X the rig you for that money then paying them to do that and you wont have all therer crappy sorftware that they buddle on it .....for the love of god build your own its easy research it and then buy the parts much easyer.....the 1rst time i built my own i was so nerves and freaked out....after i built it i was loling at my self saying wow that was so easy ....all you have to do is read and understand what you read and i see you can do that so you got it made man ....BUILD YOUR OWN for the love of god

Comment

Originally posted by FrOgM View Post
          listen if you can read and understand what you are reading you can put together a computer......it is like snapping together legos man very easy very very simple im telling you you will have 10 X the rig you for that money then paying them to do that and you wont have all therer crappy sorftware that they buddle on it .....for the love of god build your own its easy research it and then buy the parts much easyer.....the 1rst time i built my own i was so nerves and freaked out....after i built it i was loling at my self saying wow that was so easy ....all you have to do is read and understand what you read and i see you can do that so you got it made man ....BUILD YOUR OWN for the love of god

I look at food the same way. Yet people go to restaurants all the time.
          Part of the problem is just doing the research and trying to find out what should be with what.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
            I look at food the same way. Yet people go to restaurants all the time.
            Part of the problem is just doing the research and trying to find out what should be with what.
            We can help with that. I imagine all of us could put our collective minds together and get a spec sorted for a specific budget.

Comment

I think a solid gaming PC will cost more money than he wants to spend. He can buy a pre-built PC with lower quality components that might work okay and wouldn't involve getting knee deep in unfamiliar technical details.

Regarding build component lists, here are a couple of examples:

This is a nice gamer's build for $953.92 before buying Win7-64
              http://techreport.com/review/22513/t...system-guide/4
              Processor Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz $224.99
              Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V LE $137.99
              Memory Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 $39.99
              Graphics EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked $249.99
              Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D 750GB $99.99
              DVD/CD Asus DRW-24B1ST $20.99
              Audio Asus Xonar DG $29.99
              Enclosure NZXT H2 $99.99
              Power supply Seasonic M12II 520W $79.99
              Total $953.92

Here's their suggested economy build for $627.92 (before Win7-64). Good enough for BF4.
              http://techreport.com/review/22513/t...system-guide/2
              Processor Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz $127.99
              Motherboard Asus P8H67-V $104.99
              Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 $21.99
              Graphics HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB $139.99
              Audio Integrated $0
              Enclosure Fractal Design Core 3000 $69.99
              Power supply Antec EarthWatts Green 380W $44.99
              Total $627.92

Comment

I think a solid gaming PC will cost more money than he wants to spend. He can buy a pre-built PC with lower quality components that might work okay and wouldn't involve getting knee deep in unfamiliar technical details.

Enclosure NZXT H2 $99.99
                Total $953.92

Here's their suggested economy build for $627.92 (before Win7-64). Good enough for BF4.
                Audio Integrated $0
                Total $627.92
                I'm not 100% up to date with my component pricing in $ but they seem way overpriced to me.

In all honesty, I think Henry should buy a new basic 1150 socket motherboard (H87 etc) and a 4670K add some cheap RAM and leave at that for the time being. It'll do all the day to day duties and the 4670K's GPU should be more than enough for Minecraft. 2 Month's down the line, add something like a HD7850 2GB and you have a powerful BF4 machine.

Comment

The handful of prices I checked were a close match for Newegg. I wish Win7 was cheaper.

I'm too much of an amateur to know whether a new motherboard would fit into his existing case and work with his power supply.

Comment

The handful of prices I checked were a close match for Newegg. I wish Win7 was cheaper.

I'm too much of an amateur to know whether a new motherboard would fit into his existing case and work with his power supply.
                    Case is almost a definite yes, but I'd still be inclined to change it. No chance with the PSU. 90% of all prebuilt PSU's are no brand junk.

You're right about Win7. However you can still pick it up dirt cheap from time to time, at least here in the UK.

Comment

Enclosure NZXT H2 $99.99
                      Total $953.92

Audio Integrated $0
                      Total $627.92
                      $700 system with windows 7 and warranty/support.

- NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB
                      - Intel Core i3 3220 CPU
                      - 8GB 1600MHz Memory
                      - 500GB 7200RPM HDD
                      - ASUS H61 Chipset Motherboard
                      - 430W Corsair CX Power Supply
                      - DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
                      - Microsoft Windows 7

Comment

Only spent about 3mins putting this together so no doubt there would be savings to be had if I actually browsed a little more instead of searching for items off of the top of my head.

Re-use optical drive, mouse, kb etc and add a suitable graphics card in a couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                          Only spent about 3mins putting this together so no doubt there would be savings to be had if I actually browsed a little more instead of searching for items off of the top of my head.

Re-use optical drive, mouse, kb etc and add a suitable graphics card in a couple of months.
                          I hate constantly tinkering with things(except for food). This sounds like someone trying to bring life back to an old car. Instead of cars in your front yard you should have computer cases rusted.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                            I hate constantly tinkering with things(except for food). This sounds like someone trying to bring life back to an old car. Instead of cars in your front yard you should have computer cases rusted.
                            I always thought you were PC technically minded? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Don't quite understand the tinkering needed and the dead car analogy here lol.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                              I always thought you were PC technically minded? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Don't quite understand the tinkering needed and the dead car analogy here lol.
                              I am not that bad. I never feel like I am that good. It just isn't interesting enough for me to dive in to understand everything and then keep track of how the tech changes. I am only doing a computer every 4-5 years and don't expect to do much in upgrades other then ram or add in another video card.

You sound like someone who buys an old car and is constantly working on it ... yet never done. For some this is fun. I rather makes pies.

Comment

I like pies!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X