Spec me a GPU overclocking tool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spec me a GPU overclocking tool.

After using nothing but Afterburner for the past few years due to the stability and depth of the tool I've finally reach my first problem. My HD7850 has factory overclock from the default 860Mhz to 900Mhz. This is obviously not enough for a 'tweaker' like myself so this has been gradually increased with thorough testing in between. But now I've reached the MAX overclock allowed by the application and it's still not showing any signs of hitting its ceiling lol. I'm current at 1050Mhz.

Any tips on other good GPU overclocking software that allows me to go even higher on the core clock?

I'd love to overvolt the card a little too but it's locked by MSI, so upping the power limit is my only power control option.

Nobody overclocking their graphics cards these days?

Comment

Nope. My graphics card is plenty powerful enough as it's factory intended... and overclocked. Who the hell needs to go over 1.0Ghz on clock? You aren't going to be getting much before the vRam or shader clock bottlenecks it.

Comment

I heard some guy called 8Pack is.
        --Slaughter

Comment

I can't spec you a GPU overclocking tool, but I have a question.

I have a HD7850 as well, but mine is only a 1GB ddr5, and according to my Catalyst Control Center, the GPU clock is set to 860MHz, and the memory clock is 1200MHz. I know nothing about overclocking, but I notice that I can only play CS:GO at like 60fps on the highest settings (which I feel is low), and BF3 on medium/high settings (again, like 60fps, more of medium). My PC is relatively running hot (I'm working on it)

I feel like the 7850 isn't running that great for my resolution (1680x1050). Does it sound like I need more RAM?

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
            Nope. My graphics card is plenty powerful enough as it's factory intended... and overclocked. Who the hell needs to go over 1.0Ghz on clock? You aren't going to be getting much before the vRam or shader clock bottlenecks it.
            Can't say I've heard of bottlenecks happening that way. My current overclock has boosted my average FPS in BF3 by 12.

Originally posted by Slaughter View Post
            I heard some guy called 8Pack is.
            LOL!

Originally posted by TheTurboSloth View Post

I have a HD7850 as well, but mine is only a 1GB ddr5, and according to my Catalyst Control Center, the GPU clock is set to 860MHz, and the memory clock is 1200MHz. I know nothing about overclocking, but I notice that I can only play CS:GO at like 60fps on the highest settings (which I feel is low), and BF3 on medium/high settings (again, like 60fps, more of medium). My PC is relatively running hot (I'm working on it)

I feel like the 7850 isn't running that great for my resolution (1680x1050). Does it sound like I need more RAM?
            Sounds like you could be getting bottlenecked by your CPU. What one is it?

Comment

Sounds like you could be getting bottlenecked by your CPU. What one is it?

It's an old i7 920, but from what I've asked around, people have been saying it's fine. Though it's only running at like 2.9ghz max.

Comment

It's an old i7 920, but from what I've asked around, people have been saying it's fine. Though it's only running at like 2.9ghz max.
                The next time you play CSGO and BF3 monitor your CPU usage and see if the cores are running at 100% or close to.

Comment

I have an I7 930 running at 4.0.. you should be able to get at least that on the 920 pretty easy. But I do run water. Dont know what kind of cooler you have on it.
                  [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I dont think you're gonna be able to get much more without some voltage to go along with it. But I dont know about that card. I tweaked on mine which is a 6970 and couldnt get it to do much more without putting a little power to it even with significant increase on core and memory.
                    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
                      I have an I7 930 running at 4.0.. you should be able to get at least that on the 920 pretty easy. But I do run water. Dont know what kind of cooler you have on it.
                      I'm only going air, and my PC is poorly ventilated, which is why I think that this might be the problem.

Comment

In my experience, you won't really get a lot out of Ocing your video card unless you change the cooler. The best I've ever gotten is ~ 5%...
                        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Something hit me last night about what you said here. Are you running V-Sync because it sure sounds like it.

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                          In my experience, you won't really get a lot out of Ocing your video card unless you change the cooler. The best I've ever gotten is ~ 5%...
                          ~5% is really really unlucky along with your stock cooler limitations . Stock GPU coolers have become much better over the past few years (especially AMD) which is why when you see them removed these days it's usually for fitting waterblocks.

I'm now running Asus GPU Tweak which is allowing me to go above the max overclock limit in most software. Currently at 1090Mhz on my HD7850 and going strong. Max temp when running Kombuster is 3-4c above stock speeds.

Getting close to a 20% overclock.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                            Something hit me last night about what you said here. Are you running V-Sync because it sure sounds like it.

Nope. Not running V-Sync. After looking at my CPU usage, it seems that when I'm gaming (checked through CS:GO), I spike to 100% usage on 4 cores when loading (other 4 cores average like 30%) (i7 has 4 cores, and 4 threads, but for some reason the resource monitor sees them as cores), and eventually, it settles to like 60-70% usage.

Comment

Nope. Not running V-Sync. After looking at my CPU usage, it seems that when I'm gaming (checked through CS:GO), I spike to 100% usage on 4 cores when loading (other 4 cores average like 30%) (i7 has 4 cores, and 4 threads, but for some reason the resource monitor sees them as cores), and eventually, it settles to like 60-70% usage.
                              So 100% when loading the game/map then 60-70% while playing? That leaves a lot of headroom for a game that is CPU bound. I'm sure I was getting more than 60FPS with my old e6750 dual core.

Wish I had my new HDD so then I could install CSGO and see what I get. Mind posting your exact graphics settings for CSGO?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X