Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble booting my Lenovo

Hello all!
    I am back! and in need of help! (Some of you older members might remember me).

Here's my problem.
    I have a Lenovo Y580 that I bought in like.. June of 2012, right after it came out.
    I have had no problems with it yet, until this morning, when I went to turn it on.
    When I press the power button, the power button light will turn on for a second, and I can hear something (maybe the PSU fan) whirling inside my laptop. However, after that, it will just shut itself off, as if it can't start. I wouldn't even get the "Lenovo" screen, or the BIOS screen, or anything. No matter what I did, whether it be unplug the battery and only use AC power, or unplug the AC power and only use the battery, it wouldn't turn on.
    So I called Lenovo, talked to "Shane", who we all know isn't a Shane, because it took my concentration to understand him. He went through some troubleshooting with me, and the one thing that worked was what he referred to as a "power reset" on the computer. Basically, I unplugged the power cord and took off the battery, held the power button for 10-20 seconds, and then plugged everything back in.
    For some odd reason, that fixed it, and my computer booted with no problem. I even shut it down, and rebooted it like twice with no issues. So I didn't worry too much.
    However, then I left for class and came back, went to start it up, and I was back to the same problem again, and I was forced to do a "power reset" again, which worked.. again.

Does anyone know what might be plaguing my laptop? Is it on its way downhill, to a point where it will never start again? I'm afraid to shut it off again for fear that I lose all my school work and such.
    If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing it, or how I can rectify the situation, please let me know.

EDIT: I also saw this when I was searching around for solutions, does anyone think this might work? Possible Fix?!

I am under warranty for another like two years with Lenovo, so if it continues to happen, I may just call them and try and get them to replace it. But that would put me out of having a computer for at least a week, and that's not really an option for a college student now days.

Thanks for you help everyone,

Baller
    [url=http://2142-stats.com/baller4life+stats.html][img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/baller4life_player_650.png[/img][/url]
    [url=www.cainslair.com][img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/baller4life2468/bf2142sig.jpg[/img][/url]

For whatever it's worth, here's what I would do:
    - Get a USB backup drive running ASAP. Don't install the software if it has negative reviews. Instead, use better alternatives. Make an image backup (free - Easeus ToDo Backup), a whole disk file backup (free - Cobian), and daily incremental backups (Cobian).
    - Convince Lenovo to fix the problem.
    - Find a PC to borrow for 2-3 weeks. Friends? Friends of friends? Campus tech shop might help if you are persuasive. Rentals are available from local PC repair shops, but they charge $.
    - After I've got everything ready, I'd ship my PC to Lenovo.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
      For whatever it's worth, here's what I would do:
      - Get a USB backup drive running ASAP. Don't install the software if it has negative reviews. Instead, use better alternatives. Make an image backup (free - Easeus ToDo Backup), a whole disk file backup (free - Cobian), and daily incremental backups (Cobian).
      - Convince Lenovo to fix the problem.
      - Find a PC to borrow for 2-3 weeks. Friends? Friends of friends? Campus tech shop might help if you are persuasive. Rentals are available from local PC repair shops, but they charge $.
      - After I've got everything ready, I'd ship my PC to Lenovo.
      Couldn't agree more with this. You're under warranty, Baller. Use it.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X