Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble booting my Lenovo

Hello all!
    I am back! and in need of help! (Some of you older members might remember me).

Here's my problem.
    I have a Lenovo Y580 that I bought in like.. June of 2012, right after it came out.
    I have had no problems with it yet, until this morning, when I went to turn it on.
    When I press the power button, the power button light will turn on for a second, and I can hear something (maybe the PSU fan) whirling inside my laptop. However, after that, it will just shut itself off, as if it can't start. I wouldn't even get the "Lenovo" screen, or the BIOS screen, or anything. No matter what I did, whether it be unplug the battery and only use AC power, or unplug the AC power and only use the battery, it wouldn't turn on.
    So I called Lenovo, talked to "Shane", who we all know isn't a Shane, because it took my concentration to understand him. He went through some troubleshooting with me, and the one thing that worked was what he referred to as a "power reset" on the computer. Basically, I unplugged the power cord and took off the battery, held the power button for 10-20 seconds, and then plugged everything back in.
    For some odd reason, that fixed it, and my computer booted with no problem. I even shut it down, and rebooted it like twice with no issues. So I didn't worry too much.
    However, then I left for class and came back, went to start it up, and I was back to the same problem again, and I was forced to do a "power reset" again, which worked.. again.

Does anyone know what might be plaguing my laptop? Is it on its way downhill, to a point where it will never start again? I'm afraid to shut it off again for fear that I lose all my school work and such.
    If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing it, or how I can rectify the situation, please let me know.

EDIT: I also saw this when I was searching around for solutions, does anyone think this might work? Possible Fix?!

I am under warranty for another like two years with Lenovo, so if it continues to happen, I may just call them and try and get them to replace it. But that would put me out of having a computer for at least a week, and that's not really an option for a college student now days.

Thanks for you help everyone,

Baller
    [url=http://2142-stats.com/baller4life+stats.html][img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/baller4life_player_650.png[/img][/url]
    [url=www.cainslair.com][img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/baller4life2468/bf2142sig.jpg[/img][/url]

For whatever it's worth, here's what I would do:
    - Get a USB backup drive running ASAP. Don't install the software if it has negative reviews. Instead, use better alternatives. Make an image backup (free - Easeus ToDo Backup), a whole disk file backup (free - Cobian), and daily incremental backups (Cobian).
    - Convince Lenovo to fix the problem.
    - Find a PC to borrow for 2-3 weeks. Friends? Friends of friends? Campus tech shop might help if you are persuasive. Rentals are available from local PC repair shops, but they charge $.
    - After I've got everything ready, I'd ship my PC to Lenovo.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
      For whatever it's worth, here's what I would do:
      - Get a USB backup drive running ASAP. Don't install the software if it has negative reviews. Instead, use better alternatives. Make an image backup (free - Easeus ToDo Backup), a whole disk file backup (free - Cobian), and daily incremental backups (Cobian).
      - Convince Lenovo to fix the problem.
      - Find a PC to borrow for 2-3 weeks. Friends? Friends of friends? Campus tech shop might help if you are persuasive. Rentals are available from local PC repair shops, but they charge $.
      - After I've got everything ready, I'd ship my PC to Lenovo.
      Couldn't agree more with this. You're under warranty, Baller. Use it.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
        by Apache Warrior
        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
      • Reply to 6 years
        by Sirex
        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
        Just hit 2.5K miles...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
        by Sirex
        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
        by Sirex
        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
        by Sirex
        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
      Working...
      X