Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cain's October 2013 BF4 Computer (Currently 2020 James' Computer)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to see the finished item.

Comment

Update. I tried the H110 cooler but did not like the way it blocked my Optical disc slots. I got the same cooler I used in Cherie's PC, but it blocked my RAM. Grrr, no big deal, I switched the fan from push to pull.

Just for kicks I first tried the stock cooler. Whoah, don't use these things on Haswell chips.

My standing temp, with no load was around 45-55. I turned on Prime95 Small FFTs, and WOW it quickly shot up to 100 degrees and started climbing North of that, so I quickly shut it down.

Just popped in the cooler master air cooling and now standing temps in the low 30's, I'm running Prime 95 now wide open (Smal FFTs again) and it never goes above 77 degrees. Much better.

This is a powerful chip, I was doing other things while all cores were pegged out at 100% and could still function quite nicely.

Now I gotta reinstall all my software and settings, grrrr... And later today I plan/hope to play some BF4!

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post

Just for kicks I first tried the stock cooler. Whoah, don't use these things on Haswell chips.

My standing temp, with no load was around 45-55. I turned on Prime95 Small FFTs, and WOW it quickly shot up to 100 degrees and started climbing North of that, so I quickly shut it down.
        You know, I thought I heard a few polar bears screaming not too long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post

I run:

1x 120GB SSD for OS, Apps that load with OS, Apps that benefit greatly (BF4)
          1x 1TB HDD for All other apps and games. Most games don't actually benefit being on a SSD due to the large filesizes.
          1x 1TB HDD for media.

Soon:

1x 2Bay NAS with 2x 3TB WD Reds.
          So how do you install certain games on the SSD and others on the HDD when it's a Origin game?
          A change of Pace.
          "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Originally posted by paceman View Post
            So how do you install certain games on the SSD and others on the HDD when it's a Origin game?
            I think that would be impossible.
            In my case, I've only been playing one EA game at a time.

Comment

Windows Easy Transfer is your friend. It won't get anything loaded from CD, but it at least gets docs, pics, etc, plus your existing account from the old PC.

Steam will take care of a lot as well, so it isn't the horrible drudgery that it used to be.
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
                I think that would be impossible.
                In my case, I've only been playing one EA game at a time.
                Yep. Sadly, unlike Steam, you can't set multiple installation locations.

Comment

Is it finished? Where are the pics?
                  Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Pics ?? We don't need no steenking pics !!!!
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain, how's you new PC doing? Can you give us your impressions after testing it for a few weeks?
                      Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

We need to see that 2 grand pc
                        Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                        Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                          by Apache Warrior
                          6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                        • Reply to 6 years
                          by Sirex
                          I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                          Just hit 2.5K miles...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                        • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                          by Sirex
                          Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                        • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                          by Sirex
                          Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                          by Sirex
                          Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                          by Apache Warrior
                          I am glad you are recovering and will soon be back in good health.
                          Apache...
                          18 Feb 2024, 05:36 AM
                        Working...
                        X