Can't play Beta, what should i upgrade to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final piece..

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8Q-16GBZMItem #: N82E16820231539Memory Standard Return Policy $164.99
    1 ASUS X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MotherboardItem #: N82E16813132047Limited Replacement Only Return Policy $349.99
    1 NVIDIA GIFT Batman Arkham OriginsItem #: N82E16800995179VGA Standard Return Policy $49.99
    1 Noctua NH-U14S 140x150x25 ( NF-A15 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU CoolerItem #: N82E16835608041Standard Return Policy $75.99
    1 GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-4GD GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video CardItem #: N82E16814125462VGA Standard Return Policy $459.99$449.99
    1 ARCTIC MX-2 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-CapacitiveItem #: N82E16835186020Standard Return Policy $12.99$7.99
    1 Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74820KItem #: N82E16819116940CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $324.99
    ??Click me to donate??

Comment

16GB RAM is gonna be wasted unless you're now doing CAD, VM, video/photo editing.

I probably wouldn't go socket 2011 instead of 1150 or buy Nvidia. But it's your choice after all.

Comment

16GB of RAM is nice because you don't have to set up a paging file.

I would recommend a closed loop water cooler for the CPU like a Corsair H100.

Unless you use multi threaded apps that can take advantage of all 6 cores or plan to use SLI (the Ivy Bridge E will give you two x16 instead of 2 x8s) then Haswell would probably work a little better for you.
        http://www.maximumpc.com/ivy_bridge_e_review_2013
        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Isn't it still advised to run a pagefile no matter how much RAM you have?

Comment

No. I think if you go above 8GB it is not needed. I don't use one on my gaming system with 16GB of RAM.

EDIT: The pagefile is only needed if your total memory usage goes above your system RAM. It will copy some of the memory contents over to the pagefile to make more room. So you will take a little performance hit when it is copying back and forth.

EDIT2: I did some searching on the internet, but I got mixed results. Some people said you should keep at least a small pagefile, others said you don't need it. I personally haven't had a problem with it disabled.
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Yeah, the small pagefile is what I thought was common. A few hundred MB as Windows will tend to want/will use a pagefile no matter how much RAm you have.

Comment

What the hell is a page file and why haven't I heard of it before? 16GBs of RAM over here.

Comment

It used to be recommended that you have a page file => amount of memory you had. When Windows would run low on memory it would move old pages to the page file, and then recall them if needed again. If you ran out of memory or filled your page file, unexpected results could occur.

But once you have so much memory the chances of you actually filling it all up is probably unlikely. Even if I had 8 or 16GB I would probably keep a small fixed size page file.

Control Panel/System and Security/System/Change Settings/Advanced Tab/Advanced Tab
                  You should see Virtual memory - Total paging file size for all drives - your paging file size.
                  A change of Pace.
                  "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Gotcha.

Comment

Learning something new everyday, hey K?

Comment

It was a tough choice... And not the popular one... But saw several discussions, and decided that if i'm going to have this for the next 3-5 years, at least its the latest.

Do you really see a play difference in the Quad CPU's playing?
                        I don't know... I've stretched a 2 core system WAY past its expiration date, LOL..
                        ANYTHING better is just, BETTER... And I can give some feedback, since it is so new
                        ... Takes advantage of all 4 memory modules... and ASUS has updated BIOS. And it uses ALL the Graphics, doesn't restrict like previous CPU/Mobo's.. So here goes...
                        ??Click me to donate??

Comment

And thanks all... Great feedback, and recommendations...
                          I've never done a water cooler, and kinda reluctant to tackle that.
                          If I had more time to research, might have gone there.

It is amazing the amount of pro/con stuff out there, and when the price tag started getting higher, I investigated more.. (Work was slow)(And the Pucker Factor)

OK, I'm normally CHEAP (Frugal maybe) Just spent 8K on new fence and bullet proof coating, so I CAN spend when I need to, just need to VERY BADLY.. LOL
                          ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Waiting for delivery, and anticipating actually playing without worry about my system... WHEW... Many don't know how it is to be playing on a barely viable system for the games we have hosted or endorsed... I'm all atingle
                            ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Went to bed after 2nd job at 2AM... Woke up again at 4am and REVVED...
                              Won't get stuff for another day or 2, but my body doesn't care... go figure...

Like a kid in a candy store...
                              ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X