Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NJ smart-gun law

Smart Gun Technology http://www.northjersey.com/news/stat...it_supply.html
    they’ve existed only in science fiction and the archives of the New Jersey Legislature: handguns that fire only in the grip of an authorized user.

Michael Recce of the New Jersey Institute of Technology, inventor of a 'smart gun' technology, holding a prototype of the gun with grip recognition technology at a 2004 news conference.
    And yet these so-called smart guns soon could be the only kind sold legally in New Jersey under a state law that has languished on the books for a decade.

The law, which requires the state’s gun dealers to exclusively sell smart guns within three years after the first one hits the market, has been largely forgotten since the Legislature adopted it in 2002. But it could be dusted off as early as this year as technology finally catches up to the vision of lawmakers at a time when the debate over gun control is more combative and divisive than at any time in recent history.

After years of stalled and inconclusive research — hampered in part by political resistance from groups like the National Rifle Association — a German company called Armatix says it will introduce the first gun equipped with a user-recognition system within 45 days.

It is unclear whether that model, which will fire only within range of a sensor embedded in a wristwatch, will trigger the New Jersey regulations. But advocates predict that the first sale is likely to create a domino effect as other companies and publicly funded groups — including one at the New Jersey Institute of Technology — are spurred to bring their own prototypes to the market.

After that, it’s probably just a matter of time before the technology becomes standard, said Stephen Teret, a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the founding director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

“Who is going to want to buy an old stupid gun rather than a smart gun?” Teret, who has been working on the issue for 30 years, said. “I am very optimistic about this.”

Critics of user-recognition technology, and legislation that would require it, have said for years that it is not reliable or user-friendly enough for guns kept for self-defense. They say major gun manufacturers would band together to thwart the New Jersey requirement, the only one of its kind in the country, by refusing to sell guns in the state.

The NRA did not respond to requests for comment, but Scott L. Bach, the executive director of the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, said the technology is flawed, and could put gun owners in danger when it fails. He also questioned why law enforcement officers are exempt.

“New Jersey’s smart-gun law is as dumb as it gets,” Bach, of West Milford, said in a statement. “It forces you to use an unproven technology to defend your life, and then exempts the state from liability when the gun goes ‘click’ instead of ‘bang.’ If it’s such a great idea, then law enforcement shouldn’t be exempt, and the free market should be allowed to determine its viability.”

Advocates for the law predict that such resistance will fade as consumers become more comfortable with fingerprint locks on laptops, keyless ignition sensors in cars and other user-recognition technology in personal electronics and home-security software.

They say putting the same kind of safety features in handguns would significantly reduce suicides and accidental shootings, particularly those involving children. They could also protect gun users from having their own weapons used against them and reduce illegal firearm sales.

“People are starting to realize that it’s just another gun industry line, where they’re refusing to put safety over profit,” said Nicola Bocour, project director of Ceasefire New Jersey, a group that was instrumental in getting the New Jersey bill passed.

But so far those discussions have been purely hypothetical.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/stat....BB4NBAsM.dpuf

It's reassuring to know that NJ politicians are no smarter than my own.

Comment

I can't be the only one who thought of several "what if" situations where this would cause bad rather than good.

Also, not sure why they threw in the statement about suicide. If someone really wants to kill himself/herself, a gun is not the only way to do it.
      [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

I find it is interesting this law has been waiting for decade. You also have to understand NJ has some of the strictest gun laws. You haven't been able to have an assault gun for around 20 years in NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
          I find it is interesting this law has been waiting for decade. You also have to understand NJ has some of the strictest gun laws. You haven't been able to have an assault gun for around 20 years in NJ.
          I do believe Massachusetts has stricter gun laws.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

No way. Apple Patented a technology that could remote turn off a cell phone camera. http://www.zdnet.com/apple-patent-co...as-7000003640/ The Idea is it could be disabled when in a movie theater. But also could be disabled by police during protests or arrests.

I have no doubt this would eventually, if not in the beginning be implemented with this. Guns are fine just the way they are.
            Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
              I do believe Massachusetts has stricter gun laws.
              Apache
              Add NY to that as well. But I think DC takes the cake. No civilian is allowed to posses a firearm ever.
              [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Originally posted by trip202 View Post
                But I think DC takes the cake. No civilian is allowed to posses a firearm ever.
                Thats mainly because those clowns think that some well meaning constituent might blow their ass into eternity. With their track record being what it is, it may not be a bad idea. (disclaimer) Not that I would do anything like that though.
                [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                  by Apache Warrior
                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                • Reply to 6 years
                  by Sirex
                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                  by Sirex
                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                  by Sirex
                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                  by Sirex
                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                Working...
                X