The New Cocaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Cocaine

Those cookie crumbs clinging to the corners of little Timmy's mouth may be the telltale sign of a full-blown addiction -- especially if they're Oreo crumbs.

According to a study from students and professors at Connecticut College, lab rats find Oreo cookies to be as addictive as cocaine.

"Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do," said Joseph Schroeder, associate professor of Neuroscience at Connecticut College.

Neuroscience major Jamie Honohan was interested in taking a look at how high-fat, high-sugar foods contributed to the obesity epidemic in low-income areas. And when you're looking for high-fat, high-sugar foods, what could be better than an Oreo? Honohan adds that Oreos are "highly palatable to rats," which means we can all start ditching the cheese in our traps.

To test the addictive powers of Oreos, the rats were run through a maze. On one end of the maze, the rats were offered Oreos, on the other, rice cakes. Another test group was given an injection of cocaine or morphine on one side, and a shot of saline on the other. It seems that the rats spent just as much extra time hanging out on the Oreo side of the maze as the other mice did on the cocaine side.

"And just like most humans, rats go for the middle first," reads Connecticut College's own coverage of the study.

Cookies of any sort are, understandably, already considered one of the most addictive foods. According to Prevention, the other most addictive foods include white bread, donuts, pasta and chips. A single serving of Oreos is generally considered to be around three cookies, which delivers 14 grams of sugar and seven grams of fat.

Oreo is owned by Mondelez International's (MDLZ) Nabisco subsidiary, a billion-dollar business that also churns out Chips Ahoy cookies and Ritz crackers. The odds that anybody will be shocked by the fact that lab mice, and people too, would prefer cookies over rice cakes isn't likely to hurt the stock. Shares of Mondelez have risen 14.6% for the year-to-date.

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Ok well lets go invest in the legal crack.

Comment

I prefer chocolate chip cookies
      [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Except... the rats didn't get to choose between cocaine vs. Oreos. This study pretends to show something interesting, but it isn't. It's like discovering that Doritos leaves orange powder on my fingers.

Comment

I don't actually rate Oreo's that highly. The chocolate cookie part is very flat tasting. British "Biccy's" are way better.

Comment

I find oreos repulsing. And that's coming from a fatty.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
              It's like discovering that Doritos leaves orange powder on my fingers.
              Trick is to use your left index finger and thumb to eat them, and that way there are only 2 fingers to lick clean. Using the left hand exclusively also prevents any of that orange residue from moving onto your mouse as well. I am a seasoned vet when it comes to eating Doritos whilst at the PC, and have passed this wisdom onto my 7 y.o. son as well.
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I lover Oreos.
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
                  Trick is to use your left index finger and thumb to eat them, and that way there are only 2 fingers to lick clean. Using the left hand exclusively also prevents any of that orange residue from moving onto your mouse as well. I am a seasoned vet when it comes to eating Doritos whilst at the PC, and have passed this wisdom onto my 7 y.o. son as well.
                  You need to try the mix that is Doritos, Sun-chips, pretzels and Cheetos

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                  Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                    by Apache Warrior
                    6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                  • Reply to 6 years
                    by Sirex
                    I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                    Just hit 2.5K miles...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                  • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                    by Sirex
                    Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                  • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                    by Sirex
                    Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                  • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                    by Sirex
                    Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                    5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                  Working...
                  X