A380?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Furryappleseed View Post
    P.S. I am in Africa now as a Marine Security Guard for one of our embassies.
    Thank you for serving our country, Marine!
    --Slaughter

Comment

You can pay for that laptop with all the taxes the government doesn't take from your checks

Comment

As big as the plane was, I still had my post-takeoff scares. The combination of maneuvering and throttle changes just messes up my equalibrium. I feel like the plane is going too slow, or pointed towards the ground, or banking too hard... I have no fear when its time for landing and the plane is rocking back and forth through turbulence and wind though.

I was a little worried when we landed in Paris in the fog. Normally you land towards the edge of the airport on the end of a runway...not that day. Through the fog I can see us passing by the airport, still some 100 feet in the air. We landed safely but it was so strange to be flying so low, so far "into" the airport.

@golden: That school is all about dropping folks. Spent almost the whole time stressed out about how one could be dropped. As for how I am liking it, its cool. I am still in shock at how third world Africa is better and so much worse than what I was expecting. I had a strong "Ignorant American" feeling for the first two weeks as all my assumptions got wrecked.

@Slaughter: Still humbling when I hear that. I am just doing my part.

@Phan: Uncle Sam still takes his from me. Whatever conditions there are to be tax exempt, I don't meet here.
        Motivate

Comment

Glad to hear from you Furry. Congratulations on making it through the course. And, as Slaughter says, thank you for serving.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

As big as the plane was, I still had my post-takeoff scares. The combination of maneuvering and throttle changes just messes up my equalibrium. I feel like the plane is going too slow, or pointed towards the ground, or banking too hard... I have no fear when its time for landing and the plane is rocking back and forth through turbulence and wind though.

I was a little worried when we landed in Paris in the fog. Normally you land towards the edge of the airport on the end of a runway...not that day. Through the fog I can see us passing by the airport, still some 100 feet in the air. We landed safely but it was so strange to be flying so low, so far "into" the airport.

@golden: That school is all about dropping folks. Spent almost the whole time stressed out about how one could be dropped. As for how I am liking it, its cool. I am still in shock at how third world Africa is better and so much worse than what I was expecting. I had a strong "Ignorant American" feeling for the first two weeks as all my assumptions got wrecked.

@Slaughter: Still humbling when I hear that. I am just doing my part.

@Phan: Uncle Sam still takes his from me. Whatever conditions there are to be tax exempt, I don't meet here.
            Make sure you do a Roth IRA when you can. There is some special exception on them for the military.
            I don't think you pay taxes when you are deployed in a hazardous area.. like Afghanistan.
            Where do you want to be stationed when you get a choice.

Comment

Good to hear from you Furry.
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

That was going to be the only reason I'd ever join the army. Taxes exempt status. You just ruined it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                  That was going to be the only reason I'd ever join the army. Taxes exempt status. You just ruined it for me.
                  Nah the only reason is to be able to stay in for 20 years and then pension out. IF you were looking for monetary gain.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                    Nah the only reason is to be able to stay in for 20 years and then pension out. IF you were looking for monetary gain.
                    Not even true anymore, or did you miss where congress cut 1% of all retirement pay for retiree's? Yes, I do mean those who had already retired (did their 20+ and got out). They eventually reversed it, but it just goes to show that not even our retirement that was promised to us is safe. After this contract (my second one btw) I'll be pulling chocks at 10 years.
                    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Hi guys

I flew on one when I went from D.C. to Paris. It was Air France and I didn't particularly feel like I had more room than any other coach flight I have been on. Downside was that I like window seats so I can lay on the wall, but the way the wall curved meant that the window and wall were not close to me at all . Just a large, awkward space. Super, super quiet was my biggest take away. Compared to the A330 i took to Africa, huge difference.

Maybe we had a lively pilot, because he was making turns like we were in a regional jet. I am sure all large planes can do this, but my experience is they tend to maneuver a lot slower than this guy was.

P.S. I am in Africa now as a Marine Security Guard for one of our embassies. I left my gaming stuff behind in states and am now left to stalking the forums and playing whatever intel hd4000 will allow...until I decide on console or gaming laptop.
                      Thanks for that Furry. Good to see you're checking into the forums too!

Comment

Flights on the a380 to HK booked.

Comment

Yes, I have flown in it a few times now and the dream liner.

Overall I preferred the A380 but I think it comes down to the client finish/ layout. Windows in Dreamliner are longer so you don't need to stoop to see out but in reality how often do you do that. The Dreamliner I flew with was Thomson. I upgrades seats which were very comfortable but the centre arm console came out beyond the edge of the seat so when the people in front reclined you were effectively trapped and had to climb over the seats next to you to get out. Another silly design flaw were that on a number of occasions I got my finger trapped getting the tray or TV (cant remember which) from the arm rest. It hurt like hell. Never really noticed the quieter engines etc. as advertised.

The A380 even in economy is very comfortable, wider seats, longer leg room and plenty of areas where you can stretch your legs.

This is my personal opinion only, both planes have a great future and the competition between Boeing and Airbus is health for the business. Even the Chinese re trying to compete with them but I would not fly on a Chinese made aircraft. I worked out in Asia a lot the past year and the Chinese made equipment has a tendency to fail well before expected such as 2 tonne lifting strops that fail at 750kg. We banned any Chinese made safety or lifting equipment. Buy cheap means you buy twice but you could kill someone in the process too.

Maybe I should not have written that until I get my new Chinese Visa on Monday
                          Jaspurr

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/jaspurr.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                            Flights on the a380 to HK booked.
                            Flew to HK on A380, real comfortable flight. You staying in HK or going into China?
                            Jaspurr

Comment

Originally posted by jaspurr View Post
                              Flew to HK on A380, real comfortable flight. You staying in HK or going into China?
                              I'll be staying in HK, again. 4th visit since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                                I'll be staying in HK, again. 4th visit since 2010.
                                I am flying directly into Shanghai next week. Not sure what I am on yet, probably a 777 with KLM.
                                Jaspurr

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X