Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building System to Share and Store files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building System to Share and Store files?

A friend of mine wants to setup a computer that other PC's (about 10) on a network could access to share and view files. 3 printers will be on it as well.

I guess it sounds like a network. Networking isn't my strong point but I said I'd try it.

For starters I want and he prefers the connections to be hardwired. Which means I'll need to buy a switch for his router as well.

1) What do people recommend I should do? Just build/buy a boring PC with a few hard drives (is RAID 1 the best way to backup data?), create a shared folder with Win7 and go from there?

He wants to be able to have full control of files and the other computers would only have read only privelages. Seems like advanced sharing in Win7 can do this.

He also already tried cloud storage ie Dropbox type setups and it didn't work. Some of the files are quite large I guess. But mainly they will be documents that needed revisions.

It's basically a small business.

2) Also should I run synergy+ and share the KB/mouse between his main pc and this one using an extra monitor or should I just setup a new pc with the usual peripherals?

3) Cost is an issue. Obviously there are more advanced solutions like IBM blade but those are expensive He wanted to keep the costs under 1000 USD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

edit: Doing some quick research, would a NAS be something that would work here? Can a NAS work on a switch/router combo?
    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

So there are about 10 PCs in this small business, but they aren't already on a some sort of network?
    --Slaughter

Comment

Most are. The problem the owner described to me is different people edit files and they lose track of the most recent file.

But you have a point - I could simply change permissions so one or two could edit duh!
      [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Sounds like there needs to be some sort of system where the file has to be checked out and returned.
        My company uses stupid expensive software that I dont like. So that wont be of much help.

All else fails take a nightly backup of the networked files, that way a restore can be done if someone overwrites something.
        Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
        Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
          by Apache Warrior
          6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
        • Reply to 6 years
          by Sirex
          I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
          Just hit 2.5K miles...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
        • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
          by Sirex
          Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
        • Reply to Hell Let Loose
          by Sirex
          Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
          by Sirex
          Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
          5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
        Working...
        X