Getting the itch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the itch.

Well it's getting about that time to look at building a newer machine. Dont know when the next big game will come out but my machine now is getting a little long in the tooth.

Asus P6X58 d-e board.
    Gskill ram only 6GB , which one of them has failed and I had to take it out so I'm down to just 4GB. And not currently playing any games.
    WD 7200 HD.... Have an SSD with another OS on it with a dual boot system that I use for games.
    ATI HD 6970's running in crossfire
    Intel 1366 I7 930... OC'd to 4.2 on water.
    Corsair HX750 PSU. Still good might want to sell it cause I'm gonna probably get an 1000w next round with what I install.

Those are the main components, with a PCI lan card. but thats it. My next system will be based on the FX chipset with AMD CPU. Just a much cheaper chip and performance is pretty fair for gaming.

My question is , my case that I have is not very cable friendly. What case do you guys recommend for good cable management that can be run behind the MB and back out.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Corsair and NZXT make cases with good cable management.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Thanks Apache, hope all is well with you and yours. Been a while. Another question is. Have any of you guys tried out the new AMD R series cards. Was wondering which one was the strongest. Havent done any serious research yet, but I know a lot of guys on here like the latest and greatest. Cept maybe Phantom.
      [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Yeah, life changes and you have to change with it. I'd love to spend money on a new PC, but I see no point now that I am not interested in any games coming out in the next 3 years. And the fact that I spent all my money on a car... silly me, having priorities.

Comment

Tbh your CPU is fine, even with current games. Unless ofc you're now wanting to do some heavy encoding and rendering.

Agree with Apache on Corsair. Not so much with NZXT. Horrible cases imo lol.

Comment

Ok this is what I come up with off the top of my head, but subject to change. When I finally get around to it, there might be better options at that time but this is a rough go.

Comment

Just a couple extra thoughts:
              - I like having a blu-ray reader combo with DVD reader/writer.
              - Windows 7 officially reaches end of life in 2020. Windows 10 isn't available until later this year (maybe end of year). "Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free for one year after the operating system launches."

Comment

Do not buy that 840EVO!!! See my thread in this section for reasons why.

Comment

I really wouldn't recommend that CPU, your current i7 930 is probably faster, less power hungry and a hell of a lot more cooler than the 9590, AMD CPUs have pretty poor per core performance, if you chose to go crossfire with a second 290X later down the road that CPU would create quite the bottleneck.

If it was me I'd be looking at just upgrading the GPU and RAM, the rest of your system is still decent.
                  UT2004, FOREVER!!!!

Comment

Wow, an AMD build for a gamer ??!! So rare to see those these days. I don't mind someone going with an AMD build, but be aware that Intel just kills them on performance for games. See this comparison of the 'budget' AMD 8350 against the Intel i3 4360:

http://www.techspot.com/review/943-b...cpu/page6.html

Ouch.

My advice - if you can find a buyer for your 1366 gear, you are good to go. If you have a Microcenter nearby, you are absolutely GOLDEN !! 1366 gear sells for more than you'd guess right now, and I'd say you should net at least $250 for your 2 GPU cards, board and CPU.

Then off you go to Microcenter to grab this i5 4590 with whatever board suits your fancy for $160 - http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...oxed_Processor

Factor in another $200 for a Radeon R9 290 and you will be set for a few more years. The 290x demands a price premium over the 290 of around $80-100, and it just isn't worth the extra 7-10% performance gains you will see. Total cash outlay may be as low as $100 for that upgrade, and you can leave the 1366 platform and CF GPUs behind. If you wish to wait until around May, we should see the intro of the new AMD 380 cards, and their performance will most assuredly be incredible. Note that this will wreck your budget, as the cards should retail for probably around $500 at launch.
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

My 2 cents:
                      1. I would not get that CPU. You can get the Core i5 4690k for $239 or the Core i7 4790k for $319. Both of those should overclock easily. I have heard that the Devils Canyon (4690k) is a beast for the money.
                      2. YOu can probably stick with the PSU you have, even if you plan on running SLI or crossfire.
                      3. Get Windows 7, then when Win 10 comes out, get the free upgrade. (Win7 and up get a free upgrade if done within the first year after WIn10 comes out)
                      4. get an 850 EVO. Will cost a little more, but with performance more on par with the 840 PRO
                      5. I just got a G700s and I love it
                      6. I love the Silverstone Raven cases. The "rear" of the mobo points up, making it easier to get to. My current system has the RV02E, and I may reuse it for my next build.

Now get building!
                      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

You guys are awesome, and a bunch of Intel fanboys.j/k. With that said I'll rethink what I posted. Good advice here. Dead, I can get by with that PSU as well but not if I go Crossfire in the future. So am thinking ahead on that one. Could probably get by with this CPU as well but I've been pushing it at 4.2 for about 3 years with intense gaming so I dont know how much longer it will hold up. Also had a stick of Gskill ram fail. So I'm down to just 4 gb of ram. I know it's kinda stretched thin but it still works so far. I also want to get rid of the X58 chipset on this board. It's really old and the new stuff is way better. One quick question. Whats up with the intergrated graphics on the Intel CPU's now. Is that something I need to get around to use my video card. Can that be disabled or is that something I need to keep.

Yes Juneau I saw your post about the 840's,point taken and will go with something different, probaly the Pro series as I dont think they are having problems right now. Thanks for the great input guys, I'll look at some of the items you mentioned and repost something in the future for approval.

Comment

You don't have to worry about the onboard video. Most BIOSes will use offboard video over onboard by default.

In a recent Maximum PC, they paired the 4790k with the Z97 chipset, this board to be exact.
                          GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                          They were able to easily get an OC of 4.5Ghz.
                          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

After further consideration of all the suggestions, this is what I came up with.

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
                              After further consideration of all the suggestions, this is what I came up with.

Watch out on the G500. Make sure it is an old vs new one. I didn't like the feel of the new one at all and found an old on amazon.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X