Oldest game you play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest game you play

I've been on a Roman empire history kick lately. Yesterday I remembered I had some sort of Roman SimCity game from days gone by. I dug around in the piles of software I never throw away and found a copy of Caesar IV from 2006. Incredibly it still runs on my machine and I built cities for a few hours. The game is as much fun now as 9 years ago.

What's the oldest game that you actually boot up and play? I think the oldest ones I have are the old "Gold Box" D&D games but they don't run on anything I have. I tried playing BF2142 last week but it's not supported anymore. Talk of DoD:S also got me thinking about old games.

I'll load up something old from time to time and have picked up a fair number of older titles through GOG to ensure they'll still work without the hassle of setting up the DOSbox configuration myself. The most recent "old" game I've played was Baldur's Gate 2 I think, going through it and Throne of Bhaal early last year.

I picked up The Forgotten Realms Anthology discs at a thrift store last year for like 3 bucks. That's all the Gold Box games for the realms plus some of the other titles like the Eye of the Beholder series, on CD. It's a good way to get the Gold Box updated so you won't have to worry about installing a 3.5 floppy drive if you can find it for a good prince. The copy protection stuff is on a manual that I don't have but is scanned and online.

I have a repurposed CD shelf unit just about 3 feet to my left chock full of just about every physical PC game I've ever bought, so there are plenty of opportunities around for me to revisit the classics. My problem is my massive backlog of more recent releases to wade through first.

-Rand
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I find when I play the older games I just am disappointed. Sadly Age of Empires just isn't the same.

They screwed up the last one that came out.

Comment

I still play Unreal Tournament 2004 on a regular basis, so much depth in that game, even today I'm learning new things.
        UT2004, FOREVER!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
          I find when I play the older games I just am disappointed. Sadly Age of Empires just isn't the same.

They screwed up the last one that came out.
          Age of Empires was the bomb. I have AOE3 but I don't think I played it for more than an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
            Age of Empires was the bomb. I have AOE3 but I don't think I played it for more than an hour.
            AOE3 was good.... until they took off the A for attack. Had some type of bug with it. So you can't just get a group to attack in one direction... when I had to babysit at attack it sucked.

Comment

Speaking of old games...

Here's another link to the Wayback Machine (archive.org). This time for Classic PC Games. Thousands of them. It's chock full of demos, freeware and shareware. DOS games, Windows games, even some Mac/Linux games.

Classic PC Games.
              --Slaughter

Comment

Its one of those monopoly games for me...
                I play it, start to hate playing it, then eventually go back to it.
                Its got some kind of appeal to it.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
                ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Every now and then I fire up Half Life 2 but usually I stay away form he old game because they are disappointing. I do think ill rummage around and look for my UT 2004 disks though.
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

X Wing. Picked it up on GOG not too long ago.
                    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Tie fighter. Went on sale at GOG a couple months ago
                      Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

I have the discs for every game mentioned in this thread so far except UT.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                        Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                          by Apache Warrior
                          6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                        • Reply to 6 years
                          by Sirex
                          I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                          Just hit 2.5K miles...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                        • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                          by Sirex
                          Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                        • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                          by Sirex
                          Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                          by Sirex
                          Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                        Working...
                        X