Windows 10 aaarrrrggggghhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 aaarrrrggggghhhh

I "upgraded" to windows 10 about a month ago. Up until yesterday....no problems. Then I came into the computer room to check some online banking chores. The first thing I notice is my desktop wallpaper is gone. Windows 10 is acting like I had just installed it on a new computer. Things are missing. No Favorites.....No pictures......A lot of desktop icons are gone......One new icon for a program I've never heard of before.....Some games are gone....ArmA 3, World of Warships.....Internet Explorer.........and probably more I have not discovered yet. I start checking online for an answer. I found out that Windows 10 is designed to permanently delete apps and files that it deems subject to malware, what it thinks might be pirated games, and more games, especially games, WITHOUT REQUESTING PERMISSION OR GIVING NOTIFICATION THAT IT IS ABOUT TO DO SO. You have been warned. wallpaper-797257.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

weird

Comment

Never encountered this and I've had Win 10 since full release.

-Rand
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I guess the question should be are you playing pirated games and are those the only games that have been removed?

Comment

Were you able to restore from backup?
          Did the problem repeat?

Comment

I have had win 10 on 6+ computers since the original release and not had any problems at all.
            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

It did it again today. It is logging me in with a temp profile which means when I shut down, everything that I saved...favorites, files, desktop, settings ect. will be deleted. And when I log on it will be like it was when I logged on today.....nothing but a blank profile. Fortunately on the C drive there is an old user folder with a lot (but not all) of my old stuff on it. But it will not let me restore that user profile. And I have just read that I need to back this up to an external storage device or it could be the next thing to go.

I have no pirated games. Only legit games and files.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

It won't let me create a new permanent user profile either.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Wow! That is some strange badness.

Comment

Perhaps this You've been signed with a temporary profile fix might help.
                    --Slaughter

Comment

maybe you can downgrade back to windows 8 ?

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                        maybe you can downgrade back to windows 8 ?
                        One would not want to attempt that with a corrupt profile, which is why you have to log in with a temporary one.
                        --Slaughter

Comment

In 14 years when I upgrade to Win 10, I hope they would have worked these problems out. There sure seems to be a lot of bugs.

Comment

Outside of Microsoft, nobody knows whether Win10 is having more initial problems than Win7. Everybody seems to agree it's improved over Win8.

Just like news reports, the million things that work as intended aren't worth mentioning.

"Dagnabbit! Why is the real fix always the last thing I try?"

Comment

That fix says it's for windows 8. I don't know if it would work for windows 10.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X