Sorry guys I forgot to post my upgrade info. These were my latest upgrades from my system since I got back from Iraq in 2010. I built the system new at the time with the latest components available and it was still running when I took the board and other stuff out. So here goes. I hated to see her go and she even ran BF1 on high settings but just so much of her was holding back the game. I broke down and done the right thing. I put her to pasture.
This is my new girlfriend. Nothing fancy but she'll turn a few heads.
1. Motherboard - ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $109 at the time of purchase. Had a nice $20 rebate going.
2. CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
Priced at $219 at the time of purchse. Currently running at 4.5Ghz on air. Easily stable and no hotter than 65c at full load. Could be cooler on water but I digress.
3. Air Cooler - COOLER MASTER RR-212X-20PM-R1 120mm 4th Generation Bearing CPU Cooler. $34 at time of purchase. Fan runs at 48% speed to keep it at 65c so that aint bad at all.
4. Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVRB
$87.99 at time of purchase. Designed for Z170 platform.
5. HDD - SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM $129.99 at time of purchase. Thought that was a fair price.
All in all these were the guts of the system that needed the most attention. Now, the two other critical upgrades are still pending. The ever so awesome Video Card. (Nvidia 1080 FTW) and an 32" 4k monitor. The prices on these will only continue to drop as we go into the summer. If I wait for the next round of new technology to come up in the series, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger. Monitors are astoundingly cheap compared to back in 2010. But no sense in getting a new hi res monitor If I dont have the card to push it.
BTW my video card is an Nvidia 780 OC to 1005 on the core and 3005 on the memory. Runs BF1 between 45 and 65 fps with everything maxed out, including AA. This card was given to me by Nate the Brewer. When I'm done, I'll pass it on to Tickie. Gotta share the love that was shared with me. He has an 780 and will run it in SLI.
I'm still using an LG 32" tv for my monitor all these years. Been fairly good at 1920x1080. But it needs to be upgraded also.
All in all, I'm happy with the performance of these components so far. Never a hitch and the Bios on these new Asus boards is childs play compared to the old stuff you had to manually set up. I also ugraded the bios on the board before I even loaded the OS. Best thing to do in these situations and I read some had problems with some components until they upped the bios. So I just got that out of the way to start with. Everything else went smooth as glass. Tickie also gave me an extra key code he had for upgrading my Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro. Yeah, I know, he's a good guy.
I forgot to tell you, I'm still running the Corsair HX 750 PSU that came with the original purchase back in 2010. Been a champ. I still have the Xotic Windtunnel Full Tower Case too. Lots of room and I've customized some stuff in there over the years, but it's been a good case for the money. No sense in buying a new one if the old one still works. I aint into aesthetics.
So thats it. All you critics just keep your peace cause I and gonna listen anyway. I've done my job. Got what I wanted. Runs like I like. and that all I got to say about that.