Nvidia slows down the market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia slows down the market

This is a bit of a disapointment. Especially for the people who wanted something new and beefier to play Crysis. Damn you Ati!

According to Expreview, a source has told them that the upcoming GeForce 9800 GT is nothing more than a rebadged 8800 GT with the addition of an extra SLI connector for 3-Way SLI support.

It wouldn't surprise us in the least if this really is the case, as it wouldn't be the first time Nvidia is rebranding old technology and pretending that it's something new.

In this case, they might change the clock speeds of the cards, but it seems as if they want people to upgrade to a card that won't offer any real benefits over the current generation, unless you're willing to blow the cash required for a three-card setup.

So far this is only a rumor, but an interesting one nonetheless, and it doesn't seem completely unlikely.
    Hopefully they'll at least put a better cooler on it.

With ATI's recent price cute to the 3850 and 3870, its clear that they are happy to fill that market segment rather than compete directly against the Nvidia top cards.
    I am going to miss out on a Step Up to a 9800G2 by about two weeks tops, so I'm just tickled pink about that delay.

Anyhoo, I say scrap Crysis and hope that your current card does an acceptable job. My 24" LCD kills me, but I have no choice but to sit and wait this one out, or just step up to an 8800GT card for $12.

Juneau, have you seen the Akimbo cooler that eVGA is selling for 8800GT cards ?? I'm tempted to buy one when I Step Up to that 8800GT card.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I haven't actually heard of that cooler. Got any links/reviews? Is this the first aftermarket cooler evga have sold seperately?

Comment

Juneau, Google is your friend -

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...202-F2-EV03-A1

Oddly enough, the eVGA sites don't load in Firefox at work for me .. I hafta bounce over to IE to open any of them. Suggested price is $40, and with the card only costing me $12, I will probably jump on this cooler.
        It is in fact eVGA's entrance into the aftermarket cooler market. Possibly due to the fact that they sell a TON of highly overclocked cards and offer a full warranty on them (even with aftermarket heatsinks) has spurred someone to action ??
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

yea dont worry bout updati nto play Crysis...the game was a disapointment

Comment

I didn't have time to google.

I quite liked Crysis. I don't actually own the game, i was just using a current players POV.

Comment

I cant wait until they start selling these boxed togeather and start calling them something lame like

VIP Extreme.

Comment

i'm not an sli type of person... imo they should make a ONE card that can handle a game or whatever you need it for. if you need two then apparently the card isn't good enough. i dunno i'm a grouch today. BAHH HUMBUG!

Comment

Why create new cards if you can resell old ones over and over.
                  Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Originally posted by Grisu
                    Do you work for Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                      Originally posted by Grisu
                      Do you work for Nvidia?
                      you dont have to in order to realize that its the same crap with a different soft clock speed in on a diff colored PCB board, perhaps diff fan color, and then the graphics on the box are changed from an Orc with a flaming axe to a paladin chick with giant (insert your imagination here).

Take alook at any product list (try www.pricewatch.com) and then roll over the differences in architecture.

with a few exceptions- its just the same card with different memory and clock speed variations.

You basically have 4 cards to choose from (I am generalizing, I know that you can get the 5000 6000 7000 8000 series cards so I chose 4 aws my number)

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X