Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

misplaced my copy - buy with or without NS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

misplaced my copy - buy with or without NS?

Besides being a cheap-o I also do not spend a lot of time gaming. I am trying to decide since I need to buy the game again and have no problem spending $20 for the fun, to buy the "deluxe edition" with NS for $30 or just $20 for the basic game?

Oh and on a side note. What is so "buggy" about BF2 over BF2142 or whatever it is that some people seem to love one over the other.

I personally don't see that much difference in over all game play.

Originally posted by gunfodder View Post
    Besides being a cheap-o I also do not spend a lot of time gaming. I am trying to decide since I need to buy the game again and have no problem spending $20 for the fun, to buy the "deluxe edition" with NS for $30 or just $20 for the basic game?

Oh and on a side note. What is so "buggy" about BF2 over BF2142 or whatever it is that some people seem to love one over the other.

I personally don't see that much difference in over all game play.
    2142 is essentially a total conversion modification of BF2. That said, they tried to do a few things (like Titans, Battle Walkers and Spawn Beacons) that didn't ever work quite right with the engine. They also did some things that apparently made the client and server code more crash-prone, so there's that too.

BF2 is more "dialed in". Vehicles are hearty and powerful, but still vulnerable (except for jets ) Better class differentiation means you have less 1-man armies. Spam still exists, as do C4 spammers (though I don't think to the same degree as RDX spammers). Many consider the maps on BF2 better than most on 2142 (BF2 has more to choose from as well). IMO, BF2 has a better feel (less floaty and disconnected) than 2142.

You're right though, the basic flow of gameplay and teamwork aspect is about the same on both games. But of course, Cain is running a BF2 server again, so maybe you should factor that into the equation

Comment

Oh make no mistake. I have BF2 loaded and was on Cain's server last night at around 9:30 EST.
      I'm not trading one for the other just diversifying.

Comment

Northern Strike is only good for the unlocks in the long term. It is great for like the first week or two besides that. The Goliath and Hachimoto are amazing, and I love how many Rorche guns there are. The biggest problem right now is that all of the NS servers are either shut down, constantly empty, or have obscene pings. I would just get the regular game, and if you decide later you want NS, it is still 9.99 if you download it from EA, so paying 30 isnt really a deal. I would suggest just getting the game.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire
          BF2 is more "dialed in".
          See I disagree...IMO Titan mode itself is far better than anything BF2 could offer now compared to just having Conquest mode (BF2 does get this right though). I love the fact in BF2142 you have a pure objective based mode without the worry of deaths always playing a factor. I certainly don't miss the lack of effective ground AA in BF2 either...SAAW for the win...

Plus not sure what DiG or Zombie does different for Titan mode but I've yet to get a crash on their servers (knock on wood) since the 1.4 patch.

Oh and Linemanstud is right about getting NS and pretty much all EA Booster Packs...unless you want the unlocks don't expect them to have a long shelf life.

Comment

To be honest with you guys, the only reason I got NS to begin with was so that I could get the unlocks without using field upgrades. The extra AR rockets, infantry sonar, RDX shotgun, extended cloak, expanded engineer clip, and definitely the motion mine bait are all amazing unlocks to have, but since Cain is not running a server and most other servers are fizzling out, I would say pass on that.

When Carbon said "dialed in" I personally think he was right. Besides the many glitches and inconsitencies with Titan mode, he was right with saying there was more nade spam and one-man-armies. I can think of so many times when I would rush the top of the titan by myself as assault and fully take the top and then hold it by myself for the rest of the round. Also the vehicles are unbalanced. The walker was supposed to be a destroy-all weapons platform, but is far too easy to destroy. The tanks, while vulnerable in the back, could be the ultimate destructive force in the hands of an experienced pilot. The game was just not as good overall as Battlefield 2 (this being said even though I LOVED 2142.)

Comment

See I feel vehicles in BF2142 are more balanced than BF2...

Titan mode was a big departure from Conquest so I never expected them to get it 100% right the first time. Believe me Conquest for BF1942 had a few problems as well but since then they've figured out what works for that mode.

Got to say at least with NS you got something besides new maps considering both BF2 Booster Packs were just new maps...but's EA for ya...

Comment

are you still playing KurlonT? I've recently picked it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef View Post
                  are you still playing KurlonT? I've recently picked it back up.
                  Yep...but usually on Fri/Sat now. I stick to DiG's or Zombie's for Titan mode so look me up on one of those.

Comment

Zs has a 48 player titan movement server now I actually played till 1AM last night. first time Ive gamed that late in months.

Comment

I didn't see Zombie's Titan Move server just the 64p one. Haven't been on this weekend due to NCAA tournament overload...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                        by Apache Warrior
                        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                      • Reply to 6 years
                        by Sirex
                        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                        Just hit 2.5K miles...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                        by Sirex
                        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                        by Sirex
                        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                        by Sirex
                        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                      Working...
                      X