One pagefile or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One pagefile or two?

I was just wondering how many pagefiles you BF2 users have. Reason being is that i once had two. Now with my HDD dying i can only have one and the performance drop while loading levels is massive.
    One
    0%
    Two
    0%

I only have 1 logical drive. Hence I only have 1 page file. Just make sure to make it a fixed size and not let windows manage it.

I actually have 4 drives in a RAID 10 configuration.
    A change of Pace.
    "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Yea i always use a fixed size. Really didn't think only having one pagefile would make so much of a difference though.

Comment

1 Pagefile on my non-Windows SATA disk.

Comment

I have NO pagefile whatsoever. If you have enough RAM you should turn off your pagefile IMHO. You can't do this in Win2k but you can in XP.

B
          Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
          -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by beanlover
            I have NO pagefile whatsoever. If you have enough RAM you should turn off your pagefile IMHO. You can't do this in Win2k but you can in XP.

B
            Bad idea. Windows XP needs a pagefile to operate correctly and efficiently. The reason is that when programs ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space, they may ask for a great deal more than they ever actually bring into use — the total may easily run to hundreds of megabytes. These addresses have to be assigned to somewhere by the system. If there is a page file available, the system can assign them to it — if there is not, they have to be assigned to RAM, locking it out from any actual use.

Besides, what's the worst a pagefile can do? Use up a bit of hard drive space? That's hardly an argument especially since hard drive space is retailing for around 50? a gig now.

Comment

what's a pagefile? i feel as if i should know... but don't.

Comment

In storage, a pagefile is a reserved portion of a hard disk that is used as an extension of random access memory (RAM) for data in RAM that hasn't been used recently. A pagefile can be read from the hard disk as one contiguous chunk of data and thus faster than re-reading data from many different original locations.

Edit:

I'm with Karl Marx too. Even if you have 4gb of RAM you should never remove your pagefile/pagefiles.

Comment

I have 1GB of ram and didn't have a pagefile for a while. I have one now but I really don't know if it makes much of a difference.

I started using page files again after I setup a sata raid.

Comment

so it's something you have to set up i assume?

Comment

Q: What do RAM and an orgasm have in common?

A: Both are better when you don't have to fake them.

In my experience with pagefiles I've seen the best performance from not having one at all. I've monitored my RAM usage without one and I rarely exceed 200mb usage under XP. Only when I have a bunch of images open in GIMP do I see it jump up close to/over 300mb used.

YMMV
                      -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by beanlover
                        Q: What do RAM and an orgasm have in common?

A: Both are better when you don't have to fake them.

In my experience with pagefiles I've seen the best performance from not having one at all. I've monitored my RAM usage without one and I rarely exceed 200mb usage under XP. Only when I have a bunch of images open in GIMP do I see it jump up close to/over 300mb used.

YMMV
                        lol

How do I turn it off. It's been in my c: drive for years and I can't figure out how to get rid of it...

Comment

For XP *

Right Click My Computer/Properties
                          Click on Advanced
                          Click on Performance/Settings
                          Click Advanced
                          Click Virtual Memory/Change
                          Select No Paging File
                          Click Okay

You will need to reboot.

* I take no responsibility if you have any problems from not having a paging file. This is just how to do it and is not an indorsement to do it.
                          A change of Pace.
                          "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

1 page

Comment

I have 768MB RAM in my XP laptop...128 of that is shared to video so I really only have 640mb system RAM.

I would only suggest turning off the paging file if you have at least as much RAM as I have. I would also only recommend it for XP or higher OSes (no idea about Linux).

Just wanted to clarify.
                              -Albert Einstein

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X