X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big News !! July 25, 2008 !!

Big news, but a little history first.

I started running game servers 10 years ago, when I talked a local ISP into hosting my first Quake 2 server. That local ISP was called "Netside" later renamed Logicsouth. Logicsouth was later purchased and the new owners were kind enough to allow us to stay, and continue to use their bandwidth.

For years the number of servers we could run were limited by two things, CPU/hardware available and bandwidth available. These limitations are not present on leased servers like our ranked BF2/2142 boxes but then the limiting factor QUICKLY becomes money, because those servers are very expensive to rent monthly.

OK, fast forward to today. Logicsouth is doing better than ever financially and has opened new lines of business to run very high speed fiber optic into new housing subdivisions. This service has necessitated them substantially increasing their available bandwidth, so that limiting factor for our servers housed there was fading away. The next limiting factor was hardware.

I decided to use our .3 box to host our new forums, so we lost it for gaming, however to be honest it was getting a little old to be running the newest game servers - with the player counts I prefer. So the only box I had available for games was the .2 box, which is home to our wildly successful COD4 TDM Server. There was a time when the .2 was cutting edge and I built it to run 32 player UT 2004 ONS - which was also wildly successful.

Back to us, so we set up new Forums and started soliciting and collecting subscriptions and donations -- to pay the bills and purchase a new server - so we could run more games.

A few weeks back I took all our subscriptions, all our donations, the money we "won" from that 2142 server many of you participated in, and a substantial contribution from our very own BlackArrow .. and bought us a new kick-ass-fire-breathing server !!!

Logicsouth was generous enough to give us a new dedicated IP address, for our new server, in the same sequence as out other IPs: 63.113.60.4 -- here after referred to as .4

Stats on our new server:
    Dell Poweredge 2900 III:
    Dual Core Xeon Processors X5260, 6MB Cache, 3.33GHz 1333MHz FSB
    4GB 667MHz (4X1GB), Dual Ranked Fully Buffered DIMMs
    146GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug HardDrive
    Rack Chassis with Sliding Rapid/Versa Rails, Universal

If you are a real Geek, click below for more details server info and photos of the new box, sitting happily on top if the other boxes ... one box to rule them all.. as they say.

I wanna see the new Server !!!!!!!

What does all this mean ??

It means we can add new games, it means I can allow older, but still popular games to stick around longer, and it means we can more freely experiment with game servers than I could in the past.

I want to sincerely thank all who donated, subscribed and supported us, but I really want to thank BlackArrow because all the donations and subscriptions came up quite a bit short of what was necessary to purchase this new server box (thank him when you see him in-game).

Our next move is some game server stuff that is costing me about $1,000.00 that I'll talk about later, so the bottom line here folks is we are back in the red again, so please don't forget to make some donations when you can - all the money ends right back up into the Forums, web pages, game servers, rented boxes, bandwidth, etc.

The size of our Community, the games we run, and so forth are always only limited by money. The more money we have, the more people we can attract, and the more games we can run, which will attract more people, more money and more games.

Once again, thank you to all who contribute and help out here !!!

Sweet! That's awesome, I'm lookin forward to whatever new games come up for the lair, I kinda feel bad about not donating but hey, not my choice lol
    Big to all contributers and subscribers!!!

Comment

Don't feel badly my friend, if folks can spare the change, it is most appreciated, if not, I certainly understand, particularly for our younger members ...

You support is by playing here so much, and being so loyal to our servers, and that is also most appreciated !!

Comment

WOOHOO!!! Awesome news

Comment

sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
            The size of our Community, the games we run, and so forth are always only limited by money. The more money we have, the more people we can attract, and the more games we can run, which will attract more people, more money and more games.
            It is like a giant circle of happiness!

I unfortunately, am on the younger side as well, so I don't have money to throw around, but it is nice to hear others are supporting us!

And BTW, GO BA!!
            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
            - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

Sweetness. Congrats Cain and Go BA!

-Rand
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

sounds good.. so what game we getting a new server for? CS:S? :P

Comment

A 15K RPM HDD? Where can I get some of those? Me want so bad... my 10K in RAID 0 seems to be slowing down

Great server Cain, Let's see if we can get more games in. I definitely enjoy all of you guys' company, believe it or not, even Howler's!

Comment

I'm looking at these games:

Crysis
                    Crysis - Warhead (September'ish)
                    BF2 Project Reality
                    BF2 Pirates 2 -- Arrrrrrr.....
                    Enemy Territiory:Quake Wars
                    Counter Strike:Source
                    UT3 - biggest server possible
                    UT'99
                    San Andreas MP

Any others I should check out ??

Comment

Very very nice Cain!
                      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
                      [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Great News! I have been wanting a little UT3 lately so when I get off this trip i will install it again. Woot!

This place just keeps getting better and better.
                        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Looks like these are current again.....

Comment

Wow, that is one massive 5U server !! Wonder what the electric bill is on that meaty monster ?? I'm on vacation as of tomorrow, but I've been delinquent in my contribution, so I will pony up some $$ when I get back next week.
                            Thanks again to Cain for keeping us humming along with the fresh hardware and the huge bandwidth commitment, and to BA for being generous with his hard earned pay as well.
                            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Awesome, completely awesome. Thanks loads to Cain, BA, and of course logisouth for their bandwidth.
                              [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Apache Warrior
                                I am glad you are recovering and will soon be back in good health.
                                Apache...
                                18 Feb 2024, 05:36 AM
                              Working...
                              X