FF Overkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF Overkill

The current FF setup in the server is rapidly becoming annoying.

DISCLAIMER: I like friendly fire and this is not an Anti-FF tirade or anything like that.

The current setup seems confusing. I seem have been shot by friendlies and not taken damage while they have. I also see a lot of friendly fire incidents where both the shooter and the meat shield are killed. I also find myself being slain instantly upon a friendly fire spray (whether they die or not, or choose to forgive or not) by the mod.

The purpose of this arrangement I assume is to have friendly fire with some automatic method of dealing with idiots who kill teammates for sport (as happened in the server this evening). With the current set up it seems that the "Friendly Fire $%^-tard", hereto after referred to as the FFFT, is only slightly discouraged, if at all, from acting in his nature.

Scenario: FFFT opens fire on his choice of teammate and kills him, killing himself in the process via the mod. The FFFT and newly irate teammate spawn next to each other, at the same time. FFFT opens fire and kills his buddy again (as was happening this evening). Eventually the FFFT was banned by the MOD.

Question: Why is damage reflected? It does not discourage the FFFT from hunting; it only makes good team members much more cautious on the battlefield.
    • If the true reason for having damage reflected is to encourage people to be careful, why is the victim also taking damage?
    • If the true reason for having friendly fire enabled is to add realism, why is damage reflected at all?

I propose that one of the two options be implemented
    listed in order of personal preference
    1. Remove reflect damage, and ensure that the mod does not auto slay anyone unless the victim requests vengeance through the punish menu. The mod should still ban someone who has been punished beyond a set amount.
    2. Keep reflect damage, remove victim damage (person is only hurting themselves, and FF behaves fundamentally differently) (I am not sure this is supported by the mod).

Sincerely,
    Raddix, the local zeroskill-assaultclassberserker
    Last edited by Raddix64; 1 Sep 2008, 11:00 PM. Reason: subscribing to thread

Good feedback, long complex answer, I'll answer when I have more time. Some of the FF testers may be able to jump in here until I can post.

Good news is we have plenty of tweaks that can be made (to the game and the plugin), starting with the FF radius, it was set to 40" I just increased it to 80".

Comment

Gotta say, my wife and I were both getting a little annoyed last night with the FF mod. Throw a nade--team-mate runs up to it--I get punished. Spraying bullets at enemy--team-mate crosses in front of me--I get punished. I screw up and accidentally shoot team-mate---well yeah go ahead and punish me I liked the simple reflect damage mod we tested weeks ago--shoot team-mate in the leg, they lose nothing, I lose ~10 health. I thought that was much more fun

Comment

Well just about everyone can agree that reflect damage is the best kind of FF type (at least I hope). It makes administrating a lot easier because the idiots kick themselves, and if you happen to attack someone, only you are effected.

With that said, DoD:S doesn't have the built-in framework for something like this to work flawlessly. I don't know the exacts about it, but I know if the attacker does a very high damage attack (headshot, nade, rocket) then it will kill the teammate, so the plugin punishes the attacker by also killing him. For example, I think that there is a "headshot event" which automatically kills a person, and it cannot be worked around. This is the reason that the "forgive/don't forgive" option is there.

Also, as Cain talked about in the previous post, there is a "FF Radius". If you are inside that amount (which is in inches), then there is no FF. This is to prevent someone walking in front of your sniper scope, or an idiot going around punching everyone.

I think I covered just about everything. If there are more questions, shoot 'em out!

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
        - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

Personally I like the current friendly fire mod. It keeps the idiots down because they don't like dying every time they slaughter a team mate, it makes you think a little before you shoot instead of just spraying...Hey, is he on my team? It keeps the games moving better too imo. You got a guy set up and spraying with his mg? Better be careful you don't shoot your team mate or run in front of him, you just lost an advantage. It can help keep a mg from dominating one team, by someone who is extremely good too. I had at least twice last night, getting ready to cap the last flag, and I shot a buddy cause I was too twitchy being that far in to enemy territory "alone." It also makes communication a lot more important, whether typing or via voice. You need to know where people are and what they're doing. For me it makes things a lot more fun.
          [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
          [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by H0ly-H@nd-Gr3nade View Post
            I don't know the exacts about it, but I know if the attacker does a very high damage attack (headshot, nade, rocket) then it will kill the teammate, so the plugin punishes the attacker by also killing him. For example, I think that there is a "headshot event" which automatically kills a person, and it cannot be worked around. This is the reason that the "forgive/don't forgive" option is there.
            I'm 99% sure this is how it works, as I've messed around with DoD plugin scripting a little bit:
            There's not a "headshot event" per se, there is a "player_hurt" event which occurs when someone is hurt. There is a property of that event called "hitgroup" which determines the part of the body that was hit, (head, left arm, right arm, torso, etc.) A plugin can't stop someone from dying if the attack does enough damage to kill them. The only way the health can be given back is if...say I do 50 damage to Jeffro, and he has 100 health....Jeffro still takes 50 damage, but he doesn't notice it because the 50 health is immediately restored. However, if Jeffro had 30 health when I hit him for 50 damage, he would take 50 damage, but since his health would reach 0, he would die before the health could be given back to him.
            Ahhh...the power of cheese!

Comment

I can speak to one element of FF that is a factor as a regular tester.

If you are close to a teamate- FF does no damage and does not reflect.

If you are running away from someone, or with, and you swing the spade- it will kill you and a friend.

Other than that, I appreciate that FF is a challenge, however, I noticed the quality of the games went up significantly with this plugin.

Not disagreeing that we dont have work to do, in fact that is the point of having a forum- we want to work on the quality at all times.

~Hammy

Comment

OK, I have a few minutes as I sit here waiting for a phone call...

COD4 has a FF mode called "Reflect Damage" which I LOVE. It is simply impossible for someone to kill a team mate, the attacker takes 100% of any damage doled out, and will kill himself if the damage reaches 100%.

I started asking in the Allied Modders Site for someone to make a me a "Reflect Damage" (RD) plugin for DODS, and a nice fellow named Lebson agreed to help....

He designed a new plugin with 100% reflect damage, and we tested it. We quickly discovered however that you can give an opponent more than 100% damage, and when you gave them more than about 120% damage you could team kill another person. Good headshots can do 300% damage.

Now since we could have a situation when a person could be successful in killing a team mate, it became necessary for the plugin to offer some form of TK management. We also discovered that team killing in the spawn area acts completely differently than TKing out on the map, so new procedures had to be devised to deal with TKing in spawn area.

More later ......

Comment

I think my only complaint is that I get people running infront of me constantly when I am shooting and not only do they die but I die as well.

Please stay out of the path of my bullets. Cept scooter

Comment

i think i have only tk 1 or 2 since ff was on here.

but yea reflect damage does seen to bother those who accidentently shoot a teammate. i seen a few saying "stupid reflect damage"
                    Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Originally posted by (DSP)-Bar View Post
                      I think my only complaint is that I get people running infront of me constantly when I am shooting and not only do they die but I die as well.

Please stay out of the path of my bullets. Cept scooter
                      Bar i could be on the other side of the map from u and still die cus u shot me and i was on ur team.. Those 2 ppl in the server (u and me ) at start up are fun with the TKin. As for what raddix said i agree somewhat I love the FF bein on and it keeps the tkin down alot. But there is a thing that kills u and gives a message u have attacked your team mates to much and kills u asap and u can have full life. I normally get this message when they run infront of me and i have the mg i hit them once then i die.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                        by Apache Warrior
                        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                      • Reply to 6 years
                        by Sirex
                        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                        Just hit 2.5K miles...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                        by Sirex
                        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                        by Sirex
                        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                        by Sirex
                        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                      Working...
                      X