Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cains Lair News Network Issue VII -- September 21st 2008

It's now! It's Time!!! It's the CAINS LAIR NEWS NETWORK

Welcome to another news event following our weekend. I am A. Hammy, and I am reporting live for you, the Cains Lair Community, to bring you what is news and what is happening in our community.

Quickly- lets get you all current-

Item Number One-- A Cains Lair Game Administrator tied the knot this weekend. The matter is personal, so I have no details other than it is Jeffro. When he gets back, we'll see if we can get some pictures of the eyebrows dancing with the bride.

THEME OF THE WEEK
    The theme of the week is Crysis Wars.

LOCK -
    AND
    LOAD, BABY!

--------------------------------
    Cain Gives Birth This Weekend : Congratulations- It's Twins!

Starting at about 10am EST on Sept 20th, the Cains Lair team, led by Cain himself, was hard at work in the delivery room giving birth to not one, but TWO servers. There were logins, tests, crashes, more tests, some hilarious moments, and then- pure genius.

Between DougBob running an independent test server from his home, and Cain blowing through configs at the server farm, equilibrium was met and we have two live Crysis Wars servers now live

Server 1: Cains Lair PS (short for Power Struggle - an objectives based map system similar to BF2)

Server 2: Cains Lair 2 (TIA server - short for Team Instant Action)
    Shifting gears here. Many of you realize that we are having many firsts here at Cains Lair. For example this news event is a first in the history of our community. With that I am able to experience my own sense of firsts as well and relay them to you.

On this topic of Server Origination and giving birth, I sincerely do not understand why Cain does this after sitting with him through the entire process. It is a TON of work. Let me restate for truth and maximum effect- It is a LOT of work

Not to embellish here, but I will say that I took two breaks to meet family obligations, probably about 4 hours out of the day, and every time I came back to the table- Cain was still in there (along with a few others). I think it finally ended at like 2am EST on Sunday.

Here are a few things you may not realize:

1) Day one releases are insane- bug factors aside, what about the typical release notes? There is no way for a developer to plan for every contextual nuance in interpreting instructions. So there will be head scratching moments like the one you probably just had when I said "contextual nuance" so with that we move on.....

2) None of our servers are configured to be "out of the box" dixie wizard play sets- They take tuning, and the types of things Cain tunes for are ones that we would never think of, but would shout "oooooooh yeeeeeah! Great idea!" But to Cain, it's second nature.

3) The effort by specific people, (Nallik, Apache, Gene, Warlock, DougBob, Black Arrow, and many others - please forgive me if I omit- I had a hellish weekend with hardware and software bugs) These people as well as others were just sitting around waiting for a moment to get told to log in- and sometimes that was 10-15min of idle time.

4) There is an entire sausage factory behind the scenes here doing things for you, the community, that you just do not want to deal with- trust me. For example, we're creating some custom signatures for people who'd like them. Standby for a post on this soon with no time line forthcoming yet.

and on, and on.... and on....

----------------------------

The State of The Union on Servers

First and foremost- my most sincere apologies. I had an issue with my computer that took me down Friday evening until about 2am PDT (5am EDT) when I crawled into bed finally.

The next day it was testing day for Crysis, and by that evening I was bushwhacked, so no CoD4 for me or Day of Defeat, much less World of Warcraft. Then on Sat Evening, I had some failures, a defrag event, and which ended with a system wipe and redo on Sunday AM.

BUT- here is what I do know thanks to some wonderful people who keep me informed:

Day of Defeat
    Strong Weekend. Every time I checked the server online, it looked good. Lots of action means we are doing our job here- if you love the server, continue to promote it.

Call of Duty 4 TDM
    I used this server to test some ISP issues, and dag gone it, everytime I wanted to check something, the thing was jammed tight- and it was after 10PM PDT on Friday and Saturday. Forget the stories, you cannot tell me it wasnt fun in there!

Call of Duty 4 Hardcore
    This is a personal favorite server of mine. Cains Lair News Network was born in that server during a conversation in jest around keeping people informed about why my team had a UAV perk up. "CLNN Reporting: My teams' UAV tonight is being sponsored by...-413-... always there when I need my 3rd kill for a UAV"

This server is currently down to insure that we:

1) Do not interfere with our two most popular servers: CoD4 TDM and Day of Defeat
    2) Do Not interfere with our Crysis Servers and we put them into a successful public production
    3) Have the ability to move the game into a different server location for scalable support and delivery to the community.

Thanks to everyone who put in their feedback and let Cain know how valued the server is. This is not enough, however. You people are responsible for welcoming the guests who wander in, letting them know about Cains Lair, and making it a place for them to put in their Favorite Servers tab.

Crysis Wars : TIA and PS

For the chuckleheads out there, here is my friendly reminder: Tia is not Cain's auntie, it is our Team Instant Action server

The servers are up and stable.
    Expect hiccups, but otherwise expect yourself to enjoy the experience.

Let me put this into perspective. I almost put "Angry" back into my name when the bugs I am having prevented me from playing. THAT is how good it is.

A Word on Bug Reporting in Crysis
    So far, I am lucky in the list of people with bugs, in that I have the bug that very few people have. Any bugs should be reported- it is in the best interest of all of us to report bugs immediately. To do so, please post your information here:

http://www.mycrysis.com/board.php?bo...f847e5a41a2ec6

Register- then go to Community - Forums - Crysis Wars - Bugs and Technical Support

Check out the in-game shots for Crysis Wars below:

And another:

Interview of the Week

MR_MADHATTER
    #1 How Long Have You Been Here?
    Since BF2 started.

#2 What kind of job do you have in Real Life? (make this one as cool as it really is )
    Untill recently I built F-35 center fuselages. But due to another program snatching up all the people with security clearances, I got jacked by the B-2 program. I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you.

#3 Describe the best experience you have ever had at Cains Lair.
    The day I joined. I had been jumping from server to server. Every where I went....SMACKTARDS!! Then I found Cain's Lair. I made it into Cain's squad. Someone was being a TKing jerk so i got to hear, see, feel , and taste the jerk getting banned. IT WAS SWEET! I knew then that I had found a BF2 home.

#4 What game are you looking forward to most?
    I havn't really seen anything that grabs my attention. But I may start playing ARMA.

#5 What kind of player are you? run and gun, strategic, sniper, commander, n00bish?
    I would like to think that I am a team player. I love racking up points like the next guy but not at the cost of losing the round. I have flown a transport chopper for an entire round(many times, ending in a 0 score for me) just so my squad could have spawn point to HALO in to CP's.

#6 What game do you play the most?
    BF2

#7 Have you ever had your line of fire blocked by a set of eyebrows?
    Too many times to count.

#8 What is the funniest thing you have seen in a game in the past 4 days?
    Taking a Cobra out with a Tow 4 times in a row (same crew) and shooting down an F-15 with a Tank.

#9 What games are you playing right now? (online and single player)
    BF2, ARMA, and Cain's arcade.

#10 Pick one:
    If you were a hamster what would you do? Live the easy life.
    If you were a game developer for the day, which game would you change and how would you change it?
    I not sure but I like what they did in AIX mod for BF2.

#11 Tell us one thing about yourself, that you dont mind sharing, that we probably dont already know.
    I'm a pretty boring guy. No secrets, no vices. I guess that's why I got my Secret clearence so quick.....no background to check.

Some of you might remember this guy...VRT_REMY. He came this close....
    ------------------------------------------------------

Dontate Well-- Dontate Often
    Let's take a moment to remember that if we all donate $5 a month, we preserve our gaming environment.

Check out the Donation Link, The link under Juneau's Signature, or simply look into creating a subscription, you can help guarantee our community for the future.

This has been a trying week, but I am happy to say WE MADE IT THROUGH I look forward to seeing all of you out there on the fields of our games, and please -Keep Me Informed!!!! I have several submissions that havent made it to publication yet- and I would like this pile to grow!!!!

Well it's been great sharing with all of you and I hope you have enjoyed this issue.

With strict warm regards,

Hammy
    CLNN Bureau Chief

Goodnight

Great reporting.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Another good one Hammy, love the interviews!
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
      [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

GREAT JOB !!

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

HC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya there hammy

Comment

Addendum:

Holyhandgrenade, Juneau, Sirex, Jaspur were in on the testing too.

Also, Duke got a new laptop, so we should be seeing more of him as well.

Welcome back from the injured reserves Duke!

Man I was exhausted at 8pm last night.

Comment

That's it...Loggin on to Steam tonight! Might as well just buy it tonight! I can't fall behind here.
                [url="http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19030358"]Dracontius - North America - Summoners - League of Legends Statistics - lolking.net[/url] - My LoL stats etc

[URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b6dbfab44e82[/URL] - Use link if you want to play League of Legends.

Comment

Great job Hammy as always
                  [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                  Like the community? Donate here:
                  [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Very good, as usual! Nice one Hammy!

Comment

GJ maybe a carrier change

Comment

Very nice Hammy! Keep up the good work!
                        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Mobojo/Sigs/Sig2.jpg[/img]

Comment

GJ Hammy, thx for the props....

We are getting our Wars servers more stable now and with a good map rotation, AND PB.

The Wars PS server has had a monstrous 24 hrs, staying full or close to full the entire time !! TIA is not getting or staying very busy but it is fun to pop into for some quick killing.

I'll try to get the HC server back up soon, it will take me about 45 uninterrupted minutes (a little tough to come by these days), and I'm 95% sure I will move it over to the .2 box.

Stay tuned folks !!

Comment

Great Job.
                            Very professional.
                            ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Hey Crysis looks cool....I think I'll have to check it out.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 3
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Apache Warrior
                                I am glad you are recovering and will soon be back in good health.
                                Apache...
                                18 Feb 2024, 05:36 AM
                              Working...
                              X