Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering UT2004 addict has questions

Hey all

I used to play on the Cain's UT2004 server quite a bit back in the day (totally miss it). Individually, I am/was an average-skilled player, but I really enjoyed the teamwork aspect. I still play a bit on the Omni server, but I am in search of a new multiplayer shooter.

I tried UT3 (built a new computer for it). It was "okay". But apparently the game flopped and was full of mostly empty servers (and I do not do console games - yuck!).

So is Crysis Wars the next "big one"? Is it worth purchasing or would I be better off trying something like COD? Is it anything at all like UT2004 (as far as teamwork)? I really enjoy the vehicle/infantry combination you get with UT.

I think I should be able to run it on my computer (hopefully decently):

BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX OC2
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - OC'ed to 3.26GHz
    4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    2 Hardrives (in RAID 0)

Thoughts?

TOT~Bon3z

Hello Bonez.

I too am a UT2k4 addict and was disappointed by the lack of players in UT3 too. The teamwork aspect of the game is similar in that it takes willing participants. There are no points benefits in working as a team. So if you get some team players on it can be fun. There are still some issues with the VOIP that make it hard to communicate and I find many veterans of the game don't use it. There is also a steep learning curve. That being said it is a fun game and I would give it a shot.

As for COD 4 there is little teamwork and I find myself getting bored with it after an hour or so.

It sounds like your taste is a bit like min so I would go with Crysis Wars over COD and your rig should run this game just fine.

I hope to see you there.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
      Hello Bonez.

I too am a UT2k4 addict and was disappointed by the lack of players in UT3 too. The teamwork aspect of the game is similar in that it takes willing participants. There are no points benefits in working as a team. So if you get some team players on it can be fun. There are still some issues with the VOIP that make it hard to communicate and I find many veterans of the game don't use it. There is also a steep learning curve. That being said it is a fun game and I would give it a shot.

As for COD 4 there is little teamwork and I find myself getting bored with it after an hour or so.

It sounds like your taste is a bit like min so I would go with Crysis Wars over COD and your rig should run this game just fine.

I hope to see you there.
      Don't think i can add anything more to that. Welcome back btw.

Comment

I would second the intent stated by Duke and Juneau, but caution you that not that many people are actually playing Crysis Wars. It's a small percentage of those playing COD 4 for example. It's a fun game, but it's just not catching on.

-Rand
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I like Crysis Wars and COD4, especially COD4. I use teamspeak and always help my team out when i can. I know from past experience that it does help to make the game more enjoyable when u do. A few of the regulars that play HC mostly and TDM use mics. (413, Doug, Me, and many others that i am too lazy to remember )

Comment

Originally posted by Bon3z View Post
            Hey all

I used to play on the Cain's UT2004 server quite a bit back in the day (totally miss it). Individually, I am/was an average-skilled player, but I really enjoyed the teamwork aspect. I still play a bit on the Omni server, but I am in search of a new multiplayer shooter.

I tried UT3 (built a new computer for it). It was "okay". But apparently the game flopped and was full of mostly empty servers (and I do not do console games - yuck!).

So is Crysis Wars the next "big one"? Is it worth purchasing or would I be better off trying something like COD? Is it anything at all like UT2004 (as far as teamwork)? I really enjoy the vehicle/infantry combination you get with UT.

I think I should be able to run it on my computer (hopefully decently):

BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX OC2
            Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - OC'ed to 3.26GHz
            4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
            2 Hardrives (in RAID 0)

Thoughts?

TOT~Bon3z
            Yep I slept, ate, and breathed UT2004 too. Now I do play UT3 but only at one server playing VCTF and with enhanced weapons. It is usually quite full with good maps.

BUT, I would like to take a crack at something different like Crysis. But it sounds like not many are playing that either...

But on a completely different note I see you live in Tampa. I live in Canada but love Tampa and Florida in general. Would you like a house guest... for 20 years...
            [TT]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dCXnCM7.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
              Yep I slept, ate, and breathed UT2004 too. Now I do play UT3 but only at one server playing VCTF and with enhanced weapons. It is usually quite full with good maps.

BUT, I would like to take a crack at something different like Crysis. But it sounds like not many are playing that either...

But on a completely different note I see you live in Tampa. I live in Canada but love Tampa and Florida in general. Would you like a house guest... for 20 years...
              The Crysis numbers are nowhere near as bad as UT3. In fact once we have a few people in the server it maxes out in no time.

Wished UT3 had been this way.

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
                It's not easy on rigs, that's why there aren't many playing it and between you and me, people with high-end rigs usually are a pain in the arse to interact with, try talking to gimmie . My first day in Crysis and I had the name nomad and couldnt change it, i asked gimmie, I believe juneau was there too, 5 times to tell me how to change the name and he didn't reply once, I didn't tell him it was me, but it would have been nice for the bastard to help me when I didn't know what to do, where's your friendly spirit, jerk

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                  by Apache Warrior
                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                • Reply to 6 years
                  by Sirex
                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                  by Sirex
                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                  by Sirex
                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                  by Sirex
                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                Working...
                X