Major issue with all Samsung 840 and 840 EVO SSD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major issue with all Samsung 840 and 840 EVO SSD's

Just come across this article. It's a little old now so some may already know of this.

During the last couple of weeks, numerous reports of Samsung SSD 840 and 840 EVO having low read performance have surfaced around the Internet. The most extensive one is probably a forum thread over at Overclock.net, which was started about month ago and currently has over 600 replies. For those who are not aware of the issue, there is a bug in the 840 EVO that causes the read performance of old blocks of data to drop dramatically like the HD Tach graph below illustrates. The odd part is that the bug only seems to affect LBAs that have old data (>1 month) associated with them because freshly written data will read at full speed, which also explains why the issue was not discovered until now.

I just got off the phone with Samsung and the good news is that they are aware of the problem and have presumably found the source of it. The engineers are now working on an updated firmware to fix the bug and as soon as the fix has been validated, the new firmware will be distributed to end-users. Unfortunately there is no ETA for the fix, but obviously it is in Samsung's best interest to provide it as soon as possible.

I do not have any further details about the nature of the bug at this point, but we will be getting more details early next week, so stay tuned. It is a good sign that Samsung acknowledges the bug and that a fix is in the works, but for now I would advise against buying the 840 EVO until there is a resolution for the issue.
    Quickly checked my drive and yes, it's affected too.

As you can see the speed drop offs where the data is "old" is clear to see through the centre of the graph before picking up pace again towards the end of the drive space.

edit: Would appear a firmware fix is coming mid Oct. Performance can be temporarily restored by using DiskFresh.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/s...#post_22898167

umm I guess now I know why I've been loading into bf4 slower than when I first installed it, will check my drives later today. Is there an eta on the fix?

Comment

Originally posted by zackman40 View Post
      umm I guess now I know why I've been loading into bf4 slower than when I first installed it, will check my drives later today. Is there an eta on the fix?
      Check my edit above.

Comment

Not perfect, but much much better.

Comment

Good thing I didn't listen to yo ass when you said "Either get a EVO SSD or don't get a SSD at all."

Comment

Lol. How should I know the best drive on the market at the time would have an issue a few months later? Even Samsung didn't.

Comment

At least users figured out what was wrong and now Samsung is at least fixing it. A problem like this is easily resolved via firmware, there's obviously a deep rooted issue with the way the controller is reading data off the drive.

If this were Apple, they'd just ask you to go buy the new Apple SSD.

Comment

Oh hell yeah when is the new iSSD coming out? I can't wait! #excited

Comment

Mine sucks too. Any harm from running DiskFresh? Will I lose my data?

[IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

No harm and you will not lose your data. That said, you should still back up the important stuff.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

On a random semi related note - if you use HD Tune to check your drive like I did, and you end up with your monitor turning off after 20 min, disable the setting "Allow change of power settings during tests" - my LCD was turning off every 20 min because I ran that program to check for SSD issues (which I confirmed) but for some reason this HDD program kept changing my power options to "Turn off display" from NEVER to 20 min.
                      [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc View Post
                        On a random semi related note - if you use HD Tune to check your drive like I did, and you end up with your monitor turning off after 20 min, disable the setting "Allow change of power settings during tests" - my LCD was turning off every 20 min because I ran that program to check for SSD issues (which I confirmed) but for some reason this HDD program kept changing my power options to "Turn off display" from NEVER to 20 min.
                        That is a known bug that has been around for years. Can be quite the shocker though when you come back to your PC, turn on the monitor and see a "no signal" message lol.

Diskfresh should be used once imo. Any more than that and it'll start to wear the drive out. Fix should be soon anyways.

edit: How old is that drive, Ryan? Is it a recent install? Your HDTune results look a little odd tbh.

Comment

what are the chances......

I ordered a new 840 EVO this morning about an hour ago.

I log on to Cains Lair and read this thread for the first time.

Comment

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by BlackArrow View Post
                              what are the chances......

I ordered a new 840 EVO this morning about an hour ago.

I log on to Cains Lair and read this thread for the first time.

You'll be fine. It takes a month for things to start going downhill lol. Plus the fix is supposed to be out soon.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X