Been Googled OUT of a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been Googled OUT of a job?

Not sure if you've guys seen articles or what not of people either not getting hired OR getting fired because of what some one did on their MS or FB photos.

Now....it's all perception really.

I heard of school teachers for being fired with a picture of them with a casual martini in their hand while sitting on a porch to just some guy getting let go due to some provocative photo of them at a private party.

Right, why should employers care about what we do in our off hours right?

ALSO....teachers....they seem to be expected to hold to even a HIGHER standards than ANY other profession, since they teach kids.

I am ONLY considering the teaching profession. Could the words "Evil Tony" be misinterpreted?

Though, I do keep my profile settings set to private.....and "Evil Tony" is a generic name....but you never know I could get one of highly sensitive religous types (not disrespecting religion, mind you)...say a principal could take issue with it?

I have hung out with lady teachers drinking and stuff...and woo man..they get wild...even put certain photos up of themselves in certain positions. and the like...but , luckily, she's locked her MS Profile privately.

Opinions from concerned parents, anyone?

The problem is that if you post pictures in "compromising positions" whether it be completely drunk at a party, nude somewhere, etc. it can be construed that maybe you won't make a good employee because things like that could spill over on to the job. Personally as long as someone is professional and does their work, I don't see an issue with it.

The problem is that if you do chose to post pictures or stories, whatever, that is a first glance that an employer is getting of you, or something a parent is seeing and not liking. Doesn't matter what the story behind it is, or how private it is, that's a glimpse at your life, and people judge you for it, it's just human nature.

It's like submitting a resume for a job where you put down some information that's not exactly true, and your potential employer calls you on it, or you spell a whole lot of things wrong...that's first impression and you may have just cost yourself.

I wouldn't worry about the profile name Tony, not a lot of chance that someone would come across that in a simple search, which is all that most people will do. If you have things out on the net that worry you, remove them, lock down profiles and Facebook or MySpace accounts, or just delete them.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

EDS has had that same policy for a long time.
      Employees seen drinking (Even in their own front/back yard),
      or acting unprofessional ANYWHERE, then were subject to instant dismissal.

Now they are doing it with Myspace, Facebook, etc...
      They REALLY look HARD to find any trace of you on the net.

High security jobs? Expect it.

Just a new and less friendly work place out there..

And yes, your personal life should be YOUR personal life, but we are all like major actors now. Everything you do, say, eat, attend, email, or chat with, is now under the microscope.
      ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Generally speaking, don't put anything on the web that you wouldn't want absoultely everyone to see cuz they potentially will.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
          Generally speaking, don't put anything on the web that you wouldn't want absoultely everyone to see cuz they potentially will.
          Man, that makes the internet less fun lol

Comment

Dead and I have similar job environments.

You can be canned on the spot if you are even arrested for the suspicion of drunk driving.

For the fugitive recovery business, I can be released on the spot as well because our insurance rate for me goes up by 4x if I get a DUI.

Also- unflattering photos, detrimental conduct, and etc. In my Primary job's contract, it actually covers petty things such as "disorderly conduct, mutual combat, and citations for offenses including but not limited to " and then goes on a shopping list for about 20 lines covering anything from shoplifting to felony speeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_And_Gone View Post
              EDS has had that same policy for a long time.
              Employees seen drinking (Even in their own front/back yard),
              or acting unprofessional ANYWHERE, then were subject to instant dismissal.

Now they are doing it with Myspace, Facebook, etc...
              They REALLY look HARD to find any trace of you on the net.

High security jobs? Expect it.

Just a new and less friendly work place out there..

And yes, your personal life should be YOUR personal life, but we are all like major actors now. Everything you do, say, eat, attend, email, or chat with, is now under the microscope.
              Thing is.....I read in an article where people have stated that this will come to pass, and would be considered a "fad" (employers looking for applicants online). To some it would be a serious misallocation of resources doing this.....and with the current slew of BRAND NEW college graduates (and yes there are college graduates with "wild" myspace photos)

That, it will eventually become unrealistic to look the "future workers of america" on the net, and of course using it as yet another reason to hire (or fire) someone. And will eventually become accepted by employers.

This is would be the forseeable future.....just a theory of someone's that it'll just get "too old" to even bother "Googling" someone.

Comment

My Grandmother used to say, you never say or do anything in public you won't want your mother to see or hear.
                I think a lot of people tend to forget this.
                [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                Like the community? Donate here:
                [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

I hear this talk a lot, as I am a high school student who is looking at colleges (that have access to this stuff too).

This is actually quite a touchy subject. Occasionally a company will find something bad about a prospect, deny them the job, and then the person will claim that there was prejudice in the decision (and then there is a sticky situation for the company).

I have listened to both lawyers and people in charge of hiring, and they both have good claims to what is happening.
                  "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
                  - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

Originally posted by H0ly-H@nd-Gr3nade View Post

I have listened to both lawyers and people in charge of hiring, and they both have good claims to what is happening.
                    So......what is happening? lol

Comment

The MOST I have on my profiles is me with hot chicks in Super girl outfits. LOL

But, heck, some pesnickity female employer who has this thing with "objectifying" women might see it and have a problem with it.

A picture with me in a BEER in my hand could be taken out of context. I knew of a school teacher that worked in a small town, apparently she likes to relax on her porch with a glass of Merlot, someone took a great photo of her, and she posted it up on her myspace

She was fired when the mayberry town saw that.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                        by newiron09
                        BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                        15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                      • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                        by newiron09
                        Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                        15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                      Working...
                      X