Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swine flu/factory farms

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/he...nted=1&_r=1&hp

In Mexico, state health authorities looking for the initial source of the outbreak toured a million-pig hog farm in Perote, in Veracruz State. The plant is half-owned by Smithfield Foods, an American company and the world?s largest pork producer.
    This is one aspect that is not being mentioned much in the media, I'm guessing because of pressure by the industry. But can you imagine the sanitary/health problems a million pig farm would create? It would be worse than having a million people living in a city with no sewer or wastewater treatment system. The toxic stew must be incredible. Maybe this outbreak, at least, will lead to tighter standards on such farms.

I can imagine that there could be no other reason why this would happen, in the minds of most liberals, without their ability to blame the United States for something.

There is no context in your statement, just assumption.

Perhaps Obama should outlaw privately owned farms, and put all of our farms under state control to protect us?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      I can imagine that there could be no other reason why this would happen, in the minds of most liberals, without their ability to blame the United States for something.

There is no context in your statement, just assumption.

Perhaps Obama should outlaw privately owned farms, and put all of our farms under state control to protect us?
      No context? Why would the state health officials be touring this million pig farm? Did the virus sprout from a dandelion?

I wasn't blaming the United States for this (the Mexican/American company just happened to be in the quote). I was saying that, logically, the waste generated by a million pigs could make conditions unsanitary/unhealthy in no time at all...even with the best equipment. And if conditions are bad enough that the creation of pandemics is even somewhat likely, I believe that should be changed...even if it takes, oh my, some government regulation. That's not a liberal thing: it's a common sense thing. Not everything is political, Hammy.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
        by newiron09
        BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
        15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
      • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
        by newiron09
        Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
        15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
      Working...
      X