Self Powered Exoskeleton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_Mo
    Seems to me the way warfare has been evolving that this won't be incredibly useful by the time it's ready for the warfighter. I can't say for certain, but it seems to me that physical strength (of that level) isn't as much of a necessity. I suppose they go on long hikes, but these machines are probably expensive enough that it would be cheaper just to use a jeep...

Either way, definitely some very cool apps in industry! Heavy lifting with grace is incredibly useful.
    There is alot more things to do when in the army than just running and gunning. One of the things mentionned was loading and unloading artillery shells. The Exo did the work that 2 guys did much faster and without breaking a sweat. The guy in the suit could keep going way past the 2 guys who were doing it themselves who were huffing and puffing.
    [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
    So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

one step closer to robots. one step closer to robots ruling the world
      really cool though

Comment

Originally posted by BigTwinky
        Originally posted by L_Mo
        Seems to me the way warfare has been evolving that this won't be incredibly useful by the time it's ready for the warfighter. I can't say for certain, but it seems to me that physical strength (of that level) isn't as much of a necessity. I suppose they go on long hikes, but these machines are probably expensive enough that it would be cheaper just to use a jeep...

Either way, definitely some very cool apps in industry! Heavy lifting with grace is incredibly useful.
        There is alot more things to do when in the army than just running and gunning. One of the things mentionned was loading and unloading artillery shells. The Exo did the work that 2 guys did much faster and without breaking a sweat. The guy in the suit could keep going way past the 2 guys who were doing it themselves who were huffing and puffing.
        Also think of non miliary applications too, would have great medical applications as well, people with weak bones, muscles etc problem solved.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
        ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Originally posted by Sirex
          Also think of non miliary applications too, would have great medical applications as well, people with weak bones, muscles etc problem solved.
          The Japanese are actually a little ahead of us in this department:

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ower_suit.html

New Power Suit Amplifies Human Strength

By Tariq Malik, LiveScience Staff Writer

posted: 28 September 2006 03:21 pm ET
          Engineers in Japan are perfecting a wearable power suit that amplifies human strength to help lift hospital patients or heavy objects.

Driven by portable batteries, micro air pumps and small body sensors that pick up even the slightest muscle twitch, the Stand-Alone Wearable Power Assist Suit is designed to help nursing home workers lift patients of up to 180 pounds while cutting the amount of strength required in half, project researcher Hirokazu Noborisaka told LiveScience today.

At Wired Magazine's NextFest new-technology forum here, researchers demonstrated walking [Image] and lifting weights [image] in the 66-pound suit, which was developed at the High-Tech Research Center of Japan's Kanagawa Institute of Technology.

"When I wear it, I don't feel that it's heavy at all," said project team member Hiroe Tsukui after stepping out of the power suit. "The sensors can tell the muscle power needed to lift an object."

A network of sensors track the wearer's upper arms and legs and waist-muscle activity, then relay the data to an onboard microcomputer that regulates air flow into a series of inflatable cuffs which expand to amplify lifting strength. The suit supports its own weight and carries a battery lifetime of about 30 minutes.

"We think that 30 minutes is enough time to lift a patient from one place to another," said Noborisaka, who engineered the sensor computing system used in the suit, adding that future versions could help the elderly or disabled walk.

The current model?known as the 2nd Stand-Alone Power Assist Suit?is stronger and more compact than its predecessor, researchers said.
          On a different note, I remember reading about one of the early attempts of making one of these suits back in the 80's at MIT, (IIRC, it was shortly after Aliens came out, but I can't find an article on it) and the control system wasn't yet up to the task... I think they were able to save the guy's legs, but I think it left him with multiple compound fractures.

Still want to put one on?

Comment

If they ever have to do the whole super-soldier I-wanna-be-masterchief thing. I hope they don't have the same test results as in the book "The Fall of Reach."

Comment

Originally posted by rusty99

Well, you have to consider that since Japan is not allowed a military, and the US is the supreme military power in the world, the Japanese would (publicly) market the suit for medical reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire
                Originally posted by Thrashdragon
                The one real downside to this is that every time you put one on, a queen alien attacks you in a cargo bay and cuts your android in half.
                Game over man, GAME OVER!

There will be tons of applications for this....once they can create a truly viable power source for it. Until then, it's fun to keep dreaming
                Maybe we can build a fire, and sing a few songs... I love that movie. I think ive seen it over 150 times.
                [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/2HARDKOR/maj_massacre.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by xGoblin013x
                  Originally posted by rusty99

Well, you have to consider that since Japan is not allowed a military, and the US is the supreme military power in the world, the Japanese would (publicly) market the suit for medical reasons.
                  Technically, they do have a military, the Japan Self-Defense Forces, which has even been deployed for international peacekeeping operations (including to Iraq) in recent years.

That aside, I'm wondering how much information has been shared between the groups developing the technology.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                    by newiron09
                    BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                    15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                  • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                    by newiron09
                    Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                    15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                  Working...
                  X