spike tv video game awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spike tv video game awards

Its that time of year again. Last year oblivion and gears of war led the charge and set the standards. This year new IP`s and some old names come back to finish the fight.

game of the year (all xbox 360 games)
    1) hl:2 orange box
    2) mass effect
    3) bioshock
    4) halo 3

Most Addictive Game Fueled by Dew
    1) the orange box
    2) Legends of Rock
    3) wii sports
    4) halo 3

Best Shooter
    1) The Orange Box
    2) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    3) BioShock
    4) Halo 3

best xbox 360 games:
    1) hl:2 orange box
    2) mass effect
    3) bioshock
    4) halo 3

best PS3 Game:
    * Warhawk
    * Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    * Heavenly Sword
    * Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Best Wii Game
    * The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    * Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    * Super Paper Mario
    * Super Mario Galaxy

Best PC Game

* The Orange Box
    * Crysis
    * World in Conflict
    * BioShock

check out all the the awards at
    http://www.ifilm.com/show/23733

Some interesting notes though are the all the game of the year games are the same exact as xbox 360 top games. All the wii top games are all first party titles. Surprisingly cod4 didn't make the list for xbox 360 or ps3 or pc games (im really shocked about that). Maybe cod4 came to late but mass effect came out after cod4. Not surprising that bioshock is listed.

When is this on TV!?!?!?!?!?
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

dec 9th at 9.

Comment

My predictions:

GOTY:
        Bioshock

-Mass effect is a outside chance here, though the technical hiccups and bland side quests might not overcome Bioshock's slick presentation.

Most Addictive Game Fueled by Dew
        Yay for product placement!
        Well, considering Halo 3 had it's very own Mountain Dew flavor, I think this one is pretty easy.

Best Shooter:
        COD4

Best Xbox 360 games:
        Halo 3

-While I think Mass Effect and Bioshock both have a chance here, there's not denying Halo 3's popularity, and that generally wins out in the console world (which is a whole different animal than the GOTY honors).

Best PS3 Game:
        Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

-Outside chance for Uncharted, though R&CF:ToD is higher-profile, and those games tend to win out regardless of comparable quality (see Halo 1-2-3)

Best Wii Game
        Super Mario Galaxy

Best PC Game
        Orange Box

- Crysis may be pretty, but its multiplayer can't hold a candle to TF2, and Portal alone = win

Comment

whos hosting?

Comment

missed it last year, hope ill catch it this time

Comment

all i gotta say is that half life 2: episode 2 was my favorite in the orange box. i loved it equally as half life 2. i am absolutely ready for episode 3!!!

Comment

Best games:

Halo 3
                CoD4
                Assassin's Creed

Best Wii games I can see, except I hate Mario, so damn much. He use to be the best person ever until Nintendo made him a 3D fruitcake

Best System:

PC

Worst thing I've done all year:

Bought a Wii and made way less profit then I expected when I sold it.

Comment

Spike's not really the type of forum that I would think would be particularly good at this sort of thing, so I'd rather see some sort of meta or consensus vote count at the end of the year.

For example, I don't think their audience/voters are going to go for Bioshock over Halo 3 for Game of the Year, especially if they're going by player counts of the 360 version over the PC version of these games in general. More players is more votes obviously.

Bioshock should win PC Game of the Year hands down, but there's a fair chance Crysis will take it. My biggest "worry" is that the average consumer is not all that likely to take incredible storyline and atmosphere over shear brutality and quick release action.

I would be shocked if Mario Galaxy loses out in the Wii category, and similarly shocked if it doesn't make other format/magazine/etc. GOTY finalist lists.

-Rand
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Shows like this are all about more marketing to make more money for the games. They are not really about rewarding the art and artists involved in making games.
                    [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                    So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

sounds more to me like HL Orange box has it this year. they are up there in every catagory for every system out thwere. but then again, thats because there are 6 games in the set, and while all of them might not work for each person, there is something in the kit for everyone. Peggle for my wife, Portal for me, TF2 for my kids, and HL for everyone!

PORTAL FTW!

Comment

My problem with Orange Box as GOTY is that it's essentially a several year old game with some expansions tacked on. Half Life 2 and Episode 1 should be removed from consideration when rating this product.

So is the combination of Episode 2 (a 6 hour or so expansion), Team Fortress 2 (an innovative multiplayer game but with limited maps), and Portal (a completely brilliant yet only 2 hour experience) equal to GOTY material in this year of great games? Not to me. Granted, I think TF2 and Portal will continue to increase in value as custom maps and mods are released, but there are better games out there for the money that are more than just a collection of expansions and mods.

The shady practice of forcing everyone that wanted a retail box to purchase HL2 and Episode 1 would lower my score for The Orange Box, as well.

I think I'd have to give GOTY to Bioshock. Granted, I wasn't overly interested in it after playing the demo, but not because of any flaws in its presentation. It just wasn't all that interesting to me as a shooter with no multiplayer. It was, however, one of the very few games that tried anything new, and that alone is worthy of recognition.

Call of Duty 4 is great fun but it's not anything new, it's just an extremely well-polished shooter. Definitely FPS of the Year.

Halo 3 is...well, it's another Halo game. Fun but nothing award winning there unless they add a category for Best Coop.

Assassins Creed and Mass Effect are both entertaining, but aren't treading any new ground.

Rock Band isn't even listed, and though I'm a big fan of it and obviously biased, it's pretty hard to argue against it being the most innovative thing in gaming lately.

As BigTwinky mentioned, though, these awards are a bit of a joke. The first Spike ones did something along the lines of the whole "Jethro Tull-Metallica" embarrassment, I can't remember the specifics though.
                        [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
                        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

There is more groups to choose from. I just chose the main groups. I was gonna post them all but i got tired of cut and paste and editing it .

rockband and mario galaxy both do show up in other groups though.

Best Action game

* Super Mario Galaxy
                          * Assassin's Creed
                          * Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
                          * God of War II

Breakthrough Technology

* Halo 3 - Saved Films/Theatre Mode
                          Video Games - Replay and edit video of every moment of your game.

* The Orange Box: Portal
                          Video Games - Valve unveils its new mind-bending Portal technology.

* Rock Band
                          Video Games - The Harmonix Quartet gives a live performance showing off all four instruments.

* Crysis
                          Video Games - Crysis will forever change the face of PC gaming.

Studio of the Year

* Valve
                          Video Games - Valve finally released the second episode of their acclaimed Half-Life series along with the stunning Portal and multi-player Team Fortress 2.

* Harmonix
                          Video Games - Harmonix continues their line of music games with Rock Band.

* 2K Boston / 2K Australia
                          Video Games - Irrational Games brings you to the dystopian world of Rapture in their hit game BioShock.

* Bungie Studios
                          Video Games - Bungie Studios finished up their infamous first person shooter trilogy with Halo 3.

http://www.ifilm.com/collection/24060/show/23733

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                            by newiron09
                            BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                            15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                          • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                            by newiron09
                            Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                            15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                          Working...
                          X