Home remedies for swelling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home remedies for swelling?

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas to get rid of swelling. There is a possibility there is nothing can be done but my son is willing to try anything.

My son ended up w/ a staph infection in the fluid around his knee. He had it cut open (still is) and has to do wound care everyday. The bottom half of his leg and his ankle are extremely swollen and it's very uncomfortable for him. Dr nor PT will give us suggestions to get rid of it, they just keep saying it is OK because of the antibiotics he is on. He keeps it elevated as much as he can, Motrin, ice and heat and nothing works.
    So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
    A superstar in my eyes!

Originally posted by lady-MGS View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas to get rid of swelling. There is a possibility there is nothing can be done but my son is willing to try anything.

My son ended up w/ a staph infection in the fluid around his knee. He had it cut open (still is) and has to do wound care everyday. The bottom half of his leg and his ankle are extremely swollen and it's very uncomfortable for him. Dr nor PT will give us suggestions to get rid of it, they just keep saying it is OK because of the antibiotics he is on. He keeps it elevated as much as he can, Motrin, ice and heat and nothing works.
    The only thing that I could add to what you are doing is regular physical therapy/ movement which I am sure you are doing. We tend to forget that our heart alone is not capable from pumping blood etc. from the lower extremeties and relies upon the contraction of muscles. It must be very difficult for you all but hopefully it will settle with antibiotic therapy. Is it a methycillin resistant stapgh aureus (MRSA)?
    Jaspurr

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/jaspurr.jpg[/img]

Comment

Yes, it is that MRSA. About 5 years ago he was bit on the butt by a mosquito and it turned into MRSA (community). He had to do wound care then. Later on he developed a cyst there (he's in a wheelchair). We waited to see if it would go away but after a year or so, he decided he just couldn't deal with it and wanted it removed because it was so uncomfortable to sit. About 3 days after having it removed, he ended up in the ER and the wound was infected. They had to open it back up. That time the MRSA came from the hospital and we ended up having to do IV treatments 2x's a day and wound care everyday. We also had to go to an infectious disease Dr.

With that history is why the Dr wanted to be so aggressive. For a 10 days supply of the antibiotics, it was over $3,000. Our insurance paid for the majority but I would think since it is the most potent antibiotic and how expensive it was, there would be no infection what so ever.
      So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
      A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by lady-MGS View Post
        Yes, it is that MRSA. About 5 years ago he was bit on the butt by a mosquito and it turned into MRSA (community). He had to do wound care then. Later on he developed a cyst there (he's in a wheelchair). We waited to see if it would go away but after a year or so, he decided he just couldn't deal with it and wanted it removed because it was so uncomfortable to sit. About 3 days after having it removed, he ended up in the ER and the wound was infected. They had to open it back up. That time the MRSA came from the hospital and we ended up having to do IV treatments 2x's a day and wound care everyday. We also had to go to an infectious disease Dr.

With that history is why the Dr wanted to be so aggressive. For a 10 days supply of the antibiotics, it was over $3,000. Our insurance paid for the majority but I would think since it is the most potent antibiotic and how expensive it was, there would be no infection what so ever.
        My cousin got MSRA in the hip or leg(I think leg). He was out for 3-4 months, had to do the IV drip as well.

Comment

I believe fish oil supplements help with swelling. Not sure if it would help with infection based swelling instead of truama induced swelling. What about epsom salt baths also?

Comment

As Mapes says, infection based swelling is a whole different ballgame than swelling from trauma.
            I would just follow the Doctors instructions and not try to reduce the swelling unless he gives you a go ahead.
            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
              by newiron09
              BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
              15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
            • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
              by newiron09
              Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
              15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
            Working...
            X