CEO Pay Rises While Stature Fades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEO Pay Rises While Stature Fades

The Institute for Policy Studies released a report Wednesday that shows many large companies pay more to CEOs in compensation than they did in corporate income taxes to the federal government in 2010.

Of the 100 top paid CEOs, 25 of them earned more than their companies' tax bill, including the CEOs of Bank of New York Mellon, Verizon, eBay, GE and Boeing. And astonishingly, the report found that the gap between CEO and average U.S. worker pay rose from a ratio of 263-to-1 in 2009 to 325-to-1 last year.

The release of the report has helped contribute to a highly toxic environment for CEOs — worse than I've seen in twenty years of covering business.

Because they are problem solvers, CEOs are frequently welcome in public life. Not now.

Steve Pearlstein, normally mild-mannered Washington Post business columnist, uncorked a scorcher against America's executive class, blaming them for the Tea Party, the debt ceiling debacle, poor infrastructure — everything but Hurricane Irene.

Over the past decade, the main problems they seem to have been working on are increasing their own compensation and reducing the amount of taxes their companies pay. CEOs get paid a lot because they work so hard to deliver for shareholders. But America's shareholders have received a big helping of nothing from public companies in the past decade.

The S&P 500, as this very long-term chart shows, is basically where it was in the fall of 1998. We're frequently told we must be sensitive to CEOs' prerogatives because they're the ones who create jobs. But in July 2001, there were 109.156 million private sector payroll jobs, down from 110.737 million in July 2001. And every time CEOs ask for a specific policy that tells us will enhance growth — like the big foreign earnings tax amnesty in 2004, or financial deregulation — it doesn't quite turn out.

They hold themselves out as the pie enlargers, but eat most of the pieces themselves, leaving everybody else with crumbs. When columnists or politicians point this out, they complain that they're being persecuted.

Quick. Name a widely admired CEO -- besides Apple's Steve Jobs, whose resignation last week caused outpourings of admiration, including from me. Jobs enriched common shareholders who had the foresight to buy shares at $8 in the fall of 2002 hung on for the rise to near $400. And he did it for much of the time while taking home $1 a year in salary. Look at the most recent proxy, and his compensation for each of 2007, 2008, and 2009, was precisely one dollar — no bonus, no options, no nothing.
    All jokes and complaints aside, you have to admire Steve Jobs for this. Most are Asshats.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

$1 salaries don't impress me. If I was making millions upon millions from stock dividends and investments I could also take a $1 salary.

Even if $1 was all he earned, let's face it, the guy has made so much money in the past he could never gain another penny but he'd still out-earn every member of this forum combined and multiplied by hundreds of times.

A lot of CEOs out there making big money are not founders of that company, as is the case of Steve Jobs.

Overall I have no problems with CEO pay. If they earn more than their company's tax liability then complain to your government representatives, because they're the ones that made it happen.

Comment

The gist of the article is that they are not earning their saleries like the CEO's of old. All they are concerned about is their salery, benefits and screw everything else.
      Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

CEOs of this time don't make their money from their 7 or 8 figure salaries. It's the multi-million dollar undeserved bonuses they get.

It still disgusts me that some people live their entire life and do not make as much as a CEO makes in mere days.

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
          Overall I have no problems with CEO pay. If they earn more than their company's tax liability then complain to your government representatives, because they're the ones that made it happen.
          Of the 100 top paid CEOs, 25 of them earned more than their companies' tax bill, including the CEOs of Bank of New York Mellon, Verizon, eBay, GE and Boeing. And astonishingly, the report found that the gap between CEO and average U.S. worker pay rose from a ratio of 263-to-1 in 2009 to 325-to-1 last year.
          Yes, the government in the past decade or so has allowed this to happen. The disparity between the rich and the poor is the worst it has ever been. I complain in my state, but the party that holds the majority continues to focus its ire on workers, and give its gifts to the CEOs and corporations. Not much you can do to the protected class, it seems, when unlimited campaign funding allows them to buy elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
            Yes, the government in the past decade or so has allowed this to happen. The disparity between the rich and the poor is the worst it has ever been. I complain in my state, but the party that holds the majority continues to focus its ire on workers, and give its gifts to the CEOs and corporations. Not much you can do to the protected class, it seems, when unlimited campaign funding allows them to buy elections.
            So that's a recent problem? Correct me if I'm wrong you've only had that governor for 8 months, where the lion's share of the blame goes to the governor and the liberal statehouse you had for 8 years prior. Everything must have been fine back then.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
              It still disgusts me that some people live their entire life and do not make as much as a CEO makes in mere days.
              I feel the same about professional athletes, except they don't actually contribute anything to our economy.
              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
                So that's a recent problem? Correct me if I'm wrong you've only had that governor for 8 months, where the lion's share of the blame goes to the governor and the liberal statehouse you had for 8 years prior. Everything must have been fine back then.
                I said the last decade, nationwide...kind of when the Bush tax cuts went into effect. How has the economy done since then (besides for CEOs, that is)?

Comment

GREAT POST Apache nice one man

Comment

Gdp always grew under GW. GDP generally is a good economy indicator. (there ate exceptions ... Libya had a great GDP once, but that economy was terribly skewed)

I don't care about CEO salaries personally.

I'm more affected by government spending and legislation than CEO salaries. Getting caught up in these things is being ensnared in the class warfare trap. Boring and predictable results ensue while your liberties are slowly eroded.

I often wish we had better things to do than worry about what other people make or have. But it's just an awful attribute of human nature.

Instead of monitoring CEOs we should pay more attention to the clowns in Congress. Their impact on your life is real. Some ivy league egg head making millions is not worth the minds processing cycles.

Harpy

Comment

Life of the filthy rich..
                      Seriously long hours, pressure, and must have an awesome skill set. And yes, it has been all about "The Stockholders".

If someone is willing to pay them huge salaries, bonuses, or stock options, it is no problem from my end. I've just not found anyone willing to pay me an outrageous salary, huge bonuses, and very lucrative stock options.
                      ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                        I feel the same about professional athletes, except they don't actually contribute anything to our economy.
                        You may need to reconsider this thought.

NFL players "work" for NFL teams. NFL teams provide entertainment. In a sense they are an entertainment industry unto themselves.

Now consider a great player like Brett Favre (please keep your favre talent assessments to yourself ). The number of #4 Jerseys he has sold can't be counted, but they were hot items in Wisconsin, New York and I believe Minnesota. They still sell well in Hattiesburg,MS.

These Jerseys had to be created, shipped and sold. There is your immediate contribution to the economy.

Not to mention the money these teams make. This article I am staring at states that 19 of 32 NFL teams are worth at least 1 billion. That's a lot of money.

Oddly enough I could have cared less about the NFL lock out. I prefer to watch real football where REAL money is involved ... College Football

Comment

Originally posted by harpy View Post
                          You may need to reconsider this thought.

NFL players "work" for NFL teams. NFL teams provide entertainment. In a sense they are an entertainment industry unto themselves.

Now consider a great player like Brett Favre (please keep your favre talent assessments to yourself ). The number of #4 Jerseys he has sold can't be counted, but they were hot items in Wisconsin, New York and I believe Minnesota. They still sell well in Hattiesburg,MS.

These Jerseys had to be created, shipped and sold. There is your immediate contribution to the economy.

Not to mention the money these teams make. This article I am staring at states that 19 of 32 NFL teams are worth at least 1 billion. That's a lot of money.

Oddly enough I could have cared less about the NFL lock out. I prefer to watch real football where REAL money is involved ... College Football
                          The whole thing is a rip-off to the consumer. Their exorbitant salaries mean the tickets to the game have to be higher, so the average schmo who wants to come see his team play has to shell out more of his hard-earned cash to do so. Not to mention the high prices of team merchandise.
                          If they weren't paid as much, maybe tickets to the game wouldn't be so dang high.

Like you said, they are basically entertainers. Then again, I guess entertainers are overpaid in general...
                          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I don't care about CEO salaries personally.
                            Do you not think this causes the prices of the merchandise or services they sell to be higher?
                            Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                              Do you not think this causes the prices of the merchandise or services they sell to be higher?
                              Apache
                              No, I believe it to be minuscule at best.

For instance, wal-mart's ceo makes approximately $35 million a year. Yet, I still get cheap chinese garbage if I go to Wal-Mart. Compare this to Wal-Mart's quarterly profits... 2nd qtr 2010 wal-mart made 3.6 BILLLION dollars.

35 million is .09% of what they made in one quarter. That will hardly affect what I pay for chinese garbage @ Wal-Mart.

If you're looking for my bogey man, look no further than the bankers who financed the housing bubble...

harpy

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                                by newiron09
                                BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                              • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                                by newiron09
                                Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                                15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X