• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SETI@home

Does anyone here run SETI@home?
    K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
    sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

as in search for extra terrestrial intelligence?

no i don't run it but i'm lookin at it... i'm scared to say b/c i don't want this to turn into heated debate... but i am one of the believers out there that believe there is life out there probably intelligent. i'm gonna have to look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro
      i'm scared to say b/c i don't want this to turn into heated debate...
      This coming from someone who appears to have their eye brow crawling off their face

There will be NO heated debates from you my friend

Comment

We are just one itty bitty corner of ONE galaxy.

I'd say the probabilities of SOMETHING being alive out there are
        pretty high. Maybe not Earthlike, but Something.

After all, scientists have been lookng for a clone like earth for years, and
        have yet to find anything that would seemingly support life
        AS WE KNOW IT. (Caveat)

Not that there Isn't a gazillion earth-like planets out there, they just
        haven't been seen yet or noticed. It's all done with spectrum analysis,
        gas readings, yada yada yada, so we don't actually SEE them in the
        truest eyeball sense.

After all, this is what the military thinks of any sighting.
        EVERYTHING is a Weather balloon.
        ??Click me to donate??

Comment

I figure that if there is intelligent life out there that's advanced enough to travel to us, it's probably not a good idea for us to show them the way here.

<dons tinfoil hat>
          [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
          [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

I was just curious. I saw a program on tv the other day and I was wondering if any of you had it.
            K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
            sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

Sorry Minerva,

I still dedicate most of my time and computational power to finding intelligent life on THIS planet. As you can imagine it is hard work and slow going.

Comment

It does make you wonder, though. Even though it may not be in our lifetime, but if we were to find another planet with a similar ecosystem as earth and there were living creatures... would we kill them all and take over if they were not friendly?
                We could possibly find that the planet is still in its infancy and possibly have carnivorous dinosaurs.
                I think we would probably lose a few people just trying to get on the ground... possibly shot up with some sort of giant planet-protecting orange juice laser cannon.
                They could be far more advanced than us, and watching everything we do remotely and studying our habitat. They could have a plan to take over OUR earth since we send fighter jets after everything that moves. There's really no telling how we would even handle anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackArrow
                  Sorry Minerva,

I still dedicate most of my time and computational power to finding intelligent life on THIS planet. As you can imagine it is hard work and slow going.

Specially in New Joisey

Comment

I used to run it, but like BlackArrow, I now devote my unused cycles to fighting diseases.
                    A change of Pace.
                    "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

I was involved in UD (United Devices) which was primarily a search for a cure for cancer. In 6+ calendar years, I had invested over 16.5 CPU years worth of crunching, so .. yea, I was a big numbers guy.
                      Every upgrade on any of my rigs was clearly done with UD in mind. Out of my team of 700+ members, I was #15 in CPU time devoted, so that shows you how interested I was in the search for a cure.

IMHO, Seti is not nearly as critical to advancing our current world issues than UD, but alas, UD retired the cancer genome research as of April of last year, and I came home from vacation to find that all of my PCs were now doing nothing with their spare time.

I was literally despondent for a week or so, with no idea what to do next ! That may be a bit f an exaggeration, but I'd say 99% of families will lose a loved one to cancer, so that to me is more relevant than a search for ET. I lost my Mom to cancer in '93, and life was never the same after that ..
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,184   Posts: 269,831   Members: 6,182   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, newiron09.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to BF4 new easter egg.. need to know moriss code
                        by newiron09
                        BTW on iOS use "Light Conversation", its an app from an artist...he spreaded it for light arrangements(stories in lights) in a city...propably...
                        15 Sep 2024, 09:24 AM
                      • Reply to Otterbox is 10 years old
                        by newiron09
                        Having tried many cases I've given up on expensive ones. Not convinced they are significantly better than an inexpensive gel case for 1/10 the money....
                        15 Sep 2024, 09:20 AM
                      Working...
                      X