X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supreme court strikes down E15 synthetic gas protests

Great read here on the E15 debacle that our nation will now soon face:

http://www.dailytech.com/Supreme+Cou...ticle31829.htm

In the U.S. the government does not currently demand stations buy blended ethanol, however it constricts the supply of unblended gas by forcing refiners to buy "blending credits" based on the quantity of ethanol they blend in. To meet upcoming quotas, refiners will virtually have to sell at least some E15 to stations and consumers.

While stations have been slow to adopt higher ethanol blends due to fear of consumer backlash, automakers fear that the decision to back the 15 percent ethanol blend will ultimately force refiners to start pushing E15 out onto the market.

Best comment by far is the top comment in the thread - bolded parts for emphasis (sorry for wall of text)

The "Renewable Fuels Association" is a fraudulent scam against humanity. And the retards at the EPA are in bed with them.

There is no POSSIBLE excuse for making fuel from food crops. And naturally that's where this is coming from...corn in the USA, sugar from elsewhere. Anyone and everyone who thinks any such activity has even the slightest justification seriously needs to be kicked off the island.

And the next idiot who says something about "lessing/ending foreign oil dependence" gets a Mighty Boot to the mouth for being that catastrophically stupid.

But of course this gets compounded when the anti-citizen agencies such as the EPA and the RFA get together and start mandating things like E15 - and then SCOTUS lets them get away with it?!

As noted in the article, E15 will void the warranty in essentially any vehicle you put it in...BECAUSE IT WILL DESTROY YOUR FUEL SYSTEM AND ENGINE.

"Well, no big deal" the mouth-breathing whoreds will say. "People who don't have E15-certified vehicles will be able to buy other fuels still."

First of all...people are stupid. And if they can save 5 cents a gallon by buying E15 instead of E10, that's what they're going to do. And they're going to blow their motors up, and the manufacturers are going to give them the finger, and before you know it we've got cats and dogs living together, total chaos, and twinkies the size of the Empire State Building. People WILL put this fuel in their existing vehicles, because it will be there and it will be cheaper.

Secondly...virtually all gas stations that are relatively modern use blender pumps. Which is to say, there's not really 3 (or 5, or whatever) different tanks of fuel to correspond with the number of buttons on the pump. There's a tank full of, say, 93-octane premium, and a tank full of 87-octane regular, and if you select the 90-octane option, it just blends the 2 together for you.

Now the problem results in the fact that up to something like 4 gallons of fuel will be held within the final part of the hose system after a given fill-up. So, if someone got E15, there would be up to 4 gallons of pure E15 in the hose already, that has to come out before anything else can get to your tank. Obviously, if you're wanting the 93-octane premium (which is probably E10, or maybe pure gasoline), you're going to get that 4 gallons of E15 first.

When looking at a car with a ~20 gallon tank, maybe that's not that big a deal. But the fact of the matter already is that you're not getting the product you paid for. You're not getting 20 gallons of premium - you're getting 16 gallons of premium and 4 gallons of E15. And you're supposed to be OK with that.

"Hey man, my 20-piece bucket of chicken only has 16 pieces of chicken, and then 4 pork chops in it..." "Close enough - just shut up and eat."

But it still gets worse. Imagine you own a motorcycle. No motorcycles can support E15. None of them. It *will* void your warranty, and it *will* cause engine failure. Unbeknownst to you, you pull up to the pump after some raging dooshbag filled up with E15. Now, remember, there's 4 gallons of E15 in that hose that has to come out before anything else can...and you slide your card in and select 93-octane premium. Take a guess at how big your gas tank is on your motorcycle. Mmmm...good chance it's less than 4 gallons. Like, really good chance. Actually...almost no chance it isn't smaller than 4 gallons. So the fuel that goes into your bike is going to be 100% E15. Despite the fact that you paid for premium, and despite the fact that E15 will void your warranty, and despite the fact that E15 will destroy your motor.

At one point the EPA was saying they'd "fix" that problem by requiring a minimum 8 gallon purchase. Ummm...what? Yes, they really are that stupid.

So now, motorcycle riders are going to be unknowingly putting E15 through their bikes, unknowingly killing their engines over time, at no fault of their own. Eventually, if and when engine failure occurs, maybe that rider experiences a lockup at highway speed in traffic and then gets run over by a few dozen cars. It's entirely possible - in fact, positively certain - that motorcycle riders will experience engine failures at the worst possible times, and it will get them killed.

And the RFA and EPA will shrug their shoulders and continue to not care...about any of us. Not our food supply/cost. Not our vehicle warranties. Not our vehicle repair costs. And not even our lives.

Note that the same issue will kill motors in lawn mowers, when you get gas in your 2.5 gallon container for it. Or your snowmobile...your outboard...your jet ski...etc. Anything that runs on gas where you'll be getting 4 or less gallons at a time.

So, I have a suggestion. I suggest that we all chip in and buy a shiny new motorcycle for everyone who works at the RFA and the EPA. And then we force them to ride them, all the time, instead of driving a car. And we force them to run E15 in those bikes.

And when those bikes eventually lock up on the highway and pitch the rider under a 18-wheeler, we can all just shrug our shoulders and continue not caring about them.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

"As noted in the article, E15 will void the warranty in essentially any vehicle you put it in...BECAUSE IT WILL DESTROY YOUR FUEL SYSTEM AND ENGINE."

I remember watching the big expose on this. It is ridiculous what they are getting away with and more so, saying it is "good" for us, when it is quite the opposite in so many ways.
    [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

It appears that any vehicle manufactured before 2007 will not deal well at all with E15, and no motorcycles or ATVS at ALL will work with it. The RFA and EPA's solution was to require the buyer to purchase no less than 8 gallons of gas, so that you would get a majority of what you pay for, but as noted, most US gas cans (as well as motorcycle and ATV tanks) do not HOLD 8 gallons, hence why you are STILL screwed even if you obey their rules.

My plan is to purchase 93 octane premium for my SUV once a month - fill it up with 16 gallons and then pull out the 5g can I use for my garden tractor and ATV, and fill that with 93. That seems like the best solution for anyone that doesn't have the older, non-blended gas stations nearby.

Note: The author of the above thread corrected his calculations on the amount the gas line will hold, and it dropped dramatically from 4 gallons to only 1g, so while that is much lower, there does not seem to be a clean answer on how much gas is in that hose once the previous customer stops pumping.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

You can still find some pumps with different nozzels for each type

Comment

In a perfect world gasoline would contain zero ethanol
          [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

But..but.... the gubment knows what's best for all of us.

WHEN WILL THE DUMB ASS AMERICAN PEOPLE WAKE UP AND KICK THESE CRIMINALS OUT OF OFFICE.

Better yet. I say we should hang most of em for breaking their oath to the Constitution.
            [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
              Better yet. I say we should hang most of em for breaking their oath to the Constitution.
              An NCO of mine while I was deployed told me after I bitched about Obama that I swore an oath to serve the President of the United States.

I asked where it said that ? Cause if it did then I swore mine to Bush, not Obama. Furthermore ?

""I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962)."

So..... according to that..... As long as I follow my orders, I can say whatever the hell I want about that POS.

But, I can go to jail for that.... but it's ok for politicians to do it.

And I was bitching about a week after we ran out of food due to budget cuts to the military via Obama. Luckily we knew how to steal goats and cook them in diesel. If cigarettes don't give me cancer then that goat prolly will.

Comment

Very interesting read thanks

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,817   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 3
                Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

Working...
                X