going to Charleston SC. Food ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going to Charleston SC. Food ideas?

Going in 2 weeks to the New Volvo Plant. Anyone have any ideas of places to go for dinner or something I should see downtown.
    Going to fort sumter

I once asked the manager of the Carlyle Jewelers in Citadel Mall where the best place for seafood was. Her reply...………………………………………...Red Lobster. I said maybe if I was in Indiana in the middle of winter that might be a good choice but, I doubted they were the best in Charleston in the middle of summer. We found a place on the water that was out of the world. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the place. It was 31 years ago.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

You might want to check out Eater Charleston. I visited there once back in the 90s, though my parents lived 60 miles South of there and I visited them and the "Lowcountry" until they passed in 2008.

While there will be everything imaginable, the basic cuisine is something like New Orleans as it has the same influences. If you like seafood there will be plenty of it. The shrimp and crab in the area are delicious. Dishes to try would be things like Shrimp & Grits (where it came from!), She-Crab Soup (made with Sherry--very tasty!), or a Lowcountry Boil (a shrimp/sausage/corn & potato boil -- aka "Frogmore Stew").

If you are adventurous you could look for a "Gullah" restaurant for soul food.

And there is South Carolina Pork BBQ.
      Last edited by Slaughter; 24 Oct 2018, 10:52 AM.
      --Slaughter

Comment

If you ever get to the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina you need to visit the Angus Barn. This place puts Morton's to shame and is cheaper.

http://www.angusbarn.com/
        They serve home made crackers at the table that are to die for. They are served with a crock of Cheddar cheese spread and a crock of blue cheese spread. You should see the collection of antique western firearms on display in their waiting room. It is a large collection of single action revolvers. There are some that were used by actors like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, but most are actual antique firearms.
        picgun.jpg
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I was just up there about 2 months ago we retrofitted one of the ferries that goes out to Fort Sumter to run on battery or diesel or both. Its the Spirit of the Lowcountry. She has 2x 400HP permanent magnet motors, a massive Lithium battery bank and 3x 250kW diesels. I was up there for over 2 weeks fixing wires, tuning motors and just making sure the whole thing worked as planned.

Sadly I was not up there when they got her out on the water and everything cleaned up and ready for passengers so I don't have any nice photo's worthy of posting on the net.

You may enjoy taking a walk on the Yorktown while your there also. Lots of history on her.
          20180805_153212_1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
            Going in 2 weeks to the New Volvo Plant. Anyone have any ideas of places to go for dinner or something I should see downtown.
            Going to fort sumter
            Hey I'd love to get them as a client. What are you headed down there for???

When exactly will you be down there???

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
              Hey I'd love to get them as a client. What are you headed down there for???

When exactly will you be down there???
              I am going to be down there for training on the new S60 sedan. Staying one extra night on the 12th and leaving on the 13th.

Not sure I can get you an in for them as a client. Not even sure who on the plant side to talk to. Only know one person that went to that region but I believe he runs the sales for the region. Give me an idea who you would talk to. I see people all the time from Corporate headquarters (close to my dealership). Maybe someone could give me a name for you.

We will be doing a plant tour, and some type of drive. Hopefully it will be as good as the one for the XC40 in Austin. That one was a race track and off road course.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,817   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 3
              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

Working...
              X